Still working on BS prep... - Page 11 - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Racing > Auto-X
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Auto-X Discussion for autocross techniques, events and results.

Old 07-21-2014, 04:57 PM   #101
MrAWD
Just Spooling Up

Finally another event this weekend. Great weather in high 70s and probably low 80s for the afternoon. I wouldn't mind having a rain event for a change, so I could see how much beneficial would be for an AWD car running against mostly RWD variants (S2000, C4, and C5 Vettes), but not there yet!

Having made no changes to the car aside of replacing most of the relays in the fuse box, car was performing pretty good and I have nothing to complain about it in that regard. Fuel issues/cuts where non existent and I was running at start with half the tank which was down to mere third at the end. Finished 2nd again behind the same guy in the same S2000. This makes it 4th times in a row. This makes second 4 tent loss (aside the two that were identical at 0.176).

This time I managed to run with Solo Storm software and have a videos from all of the runs. Here is the fastest one that ended with 53.884:

It is getting harder and harder to go faster with what I have at this time. I have been riding with bunch of other cars and it feels (from the passenger seat at least) that other cars have more bite when cornering (cars that felt that way where S200 and 2013 WRX). Now, they were not driven as fast as they need to since most of the drivers were novices, but at that level that is not that far behind, it felt like those cars go into the turn where tires bite and car moves to the other side. In my car it feels like car slides all the time when I get to the same spot. I am sure you could see all those sliding at the video above.

Due to all that sliding I have to calculate for it before every turn and it doesn't give me that mach of the space for any mistake. If car slides a bit more at any spot, several corners after that one are punished, which is true for any car btw. But, it is not easy to do that all the time.

Unless better suspension doesn't help significantly in this regard, I am not sure if this car would be able to get much quicker. It could be that extra lean of the body and extra weight that car has are making this that much harder. Nothing there to be done about the weight for this class (aside 35 or so pounds from the race type straight mufflerless exhaust), so all the extra stiffening has to come from the dampers. I know they will help some, but will it be enough?

On that regard, existence of the C5 Vettes in B-Street is clear party breaker! SCCA made lousy decision of letting those car move from old A-Stock (I think the same is happened for the move of C5 ZO6 from S-Stock to A-Street) to race with C4s, S2000 (aside CR variant), and EVOs and STIs. C5s make 331 HP and 341 ft-lbs (numbers from Lane's car) which is about 100 more from my car. I guess, free flowing race exhaust might add some for the EVO, but nothing to compare to the C5s. Than, those cars weight below 3100 lb, which makes them over 300 lb lighter. Center of gravity is lower, suspension is stiffer, and geometry is way better than what we have. As a clear example, some of the C5s are running same size tire (some of them have 285s as well) in the front as I have on bigger wheel and they can run them at 32-34 psi. At the same time, I can not go below 42 without destroying all of the tire arrow markers on the outside. If everything else would be identical, their ability to run at those pressure is clearly pointing out how much better they are.

Unless SCCA doesn't do anything about this, B-Street will become C5 only class, since nothing else in there can match those numbers. I still have a slight hope that I could match the S2000 times with a full prep (both car an me), but that is something to be seen. I do feel that racing once every 3-4 weeks slows me down a lot. A lot means something like half a second (on 60 second course) at least. First few runs are used just to get your brain to remember what did I do last time when I was here weeks ago and takes something away. When I was racing full time while back with an event or two most of the weekends, that was not an issue. My current lifestyle doesn't allow me to do that kind of dedication. But it does mean that someone else with similar driving skills (or better) couldn't get that rust caused lost time and be on par with S2000 from my region at least.

Anyway, comments are welcome as always!
  • camber: -1.9/-1.5 Front, -1.7/-1.6 Rear
  • toe: 0 all
  • RE71 275/35/18s: 34/28 F/R
  • Enkei PF01 silver: 18x8.5
  • Whiteline FSB full stiff, end links

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    doubles, external canisters
  • OEM replacement rotors:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • Porterfield R4S - Carbotech AX6 were ON|OFF switch, squeled like pigs, and made lots of dust

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    adjustable front sway-bar brackets

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsor:

Last edited by MrAWD; 07-23-2014 at 09:17 PM.
MrAWD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2014, 09:23 PM   #102
MrAWD
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by w!ckedX View Post
So close to getting that S2000!
That S2000 is not really the target, but rather a target on the list. Even though he did beat me last 4 times, his times are still not that significant compared to the fast times from our region. We both have to be at least a second faster for the times to be somewhat meaningful. If we would get to be 1.5 sec faster, than PAX times would be at the level of our fastest local ST guys and that is where we both need to be an average if we want to mean something at the National level in B-Street.

• Porterfield R4S - Carbotech AX6 were ON|OFF switch, squeled like pigs, and made lots of dust

Sponsor:

Old 07-21-2014, 11:11 PM   #103
Locust
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAWD View Post
Finally another event this weekend. Great weather in high 70s and probably low 80s for the afternoon. I wouldn't mind having a rain event for a change, so I could see how much beneficial would be for an AWD car running against mostly RWD variants (S2000, C4, and C5 Vettes), but not there yet!

Having made no changes to the car aside of replacing most of the relays in the fuse box, car was performing pretty good and I have nothing to complain about it in that regard. Fuel issues/cuts where non existent and I was running at start with half the tank which was down to mere third at the end. Finished 2nd again behind the same guy in the same S2000. This makes it 4th times in a row. This makes second 4 tent loss (aside the two that were identical at 0.176).

This time I managed to run with Solo Storm software and have a videos from all of the runs. Here is the fastest one that ended with 53.884:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSve1lZD9Ic

How the hack you embed this video into the window, so this can look nice in here??

It is getting harder and harder to go faster with what I have at this time. I have been riding with bunch of other cars and it feels (from the passenger seat at least) that other cars have more bite when cornering (cars that felt that way where S200 and 2013 WRX). Now, they were not driven as fast as they need to since most of the drivers were novices, but at that level that is not that far behind, it felt like those cars go into the turn where tires bite and car moves to the other side. In my car it feels like car slides all the time when I get to the same spot. I am sure you could see all those sliding at the video above.

Due to all that sliding I have to calculate for it before every turn and it doesn't give me that mach of the space for any mistake. If car slides a bit more at any spot, several corners after that one are punished, which is true for any car btw. But, it is not easy to do that all the time.

Unless better suspension doesn't help significantly in this regard, I am not sure if this car would be able to get much quicker. It could be that extra lean of the body and extra weight that car has are making this that much harder. Nothing there to be done about the weight for this class (aside 35 or so pounds from the race type straight mufflerless exhaust), so all the extra stiffening has to come from the dampers. I know they will help some, but will it be enough?

On that regard, existence of the C5 Vettes in B-Street is clear party breaker! SCCA made lousy decision of letting those car move from old A-Stock (I think the same is happened for the move of C5 ZO6 from S-Stock to A-Street) to race with C4s, S2000 (aside CR variant), and EVOs and STIs. C5s make 331 HP and 341 ft-lbs (numbers from Lane's car) which is about 100 more from my car. I guess, free flowing race exhaust might add some for the EVO, but nothing to compare to the C5s. Than, those cars weight below 3100 lb, which makes them over 300 lb lighter. Center of gravity is lower, suspension is stiffer, and geometry is way better than what we have. As a clear example, some of the C5s are running same size tire (some of them have 285s as well) in the front as I have on bigger wheel and they can run them at 32-34 psi. At the same time, I can not go below 42 without destroying all of the tire arrow markers on the outside. If everything else would be identical, their ability to run at those pressure is clearly pointing out how much better they are.

Unless SCCA doesn't do anything about this, B-Street will become C5 only class, since nothing else in there can match those numbers. I still have a slight hope that I could match the S2000 times with a full prep (both car an me), but that is something to be seen. I do feel that racing once every 3-4 weeks slows me down a lot. A lot means something like half a second (on 60 second course) at least. First few runs are used just to get your brain to remember what did I do last time when I was here weeks ago and takes something away. When I was racing full time while back with an event or two most of the weekends, that was not an issue. My current lifestyle doesn't allow me to do that kind of dedication. But it does mean that someone else with similar driving skills (or better) couldn't get that rust caused lost time and be on par with S2000 from my region at least.

Anyway, comments are welcome as alway!
Remove the 'S' from HTTPS.
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 01:00 AM   #104
MrAWD
Just Spooling Up

Thanks man!!

Sponsor:

Old 07-22-2014, 02:59 AM   #105
Mario Linguini

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAWD View Post
...Finished 2nd again behind the same guy in the same S2000. This makes it 4th times in a row...
From what I understand, that S2000 is a fairly prepared car, where as your car is only minimally prepared. Not exactly a fair comparison.
Mario Linguini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2014, 04:15 AM   #106
MrAWD
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Linguini View Post
From what I understand, that S2000 is a fairly prepared car, where as your car is only minimally prepared. Not exactly a fair comparison.
I agree with that! It has double adjustable shocks (no idea which ones though) and he is a great driver as well. But, due to level of prep for my car and myself, I wasn't complaining about that part...yet!

Sponsor:

Old 07-24-2014, 03:34 AM   #107
Tyraid

Are you left foot braking? That's a possible advantage you could make over the S2000 and other competitors. While anyone can do it is MUCH easier in a two pedal car vs 3 pedal!
Tyraid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2014, 01:21 PM   #108
MrAWD
Just Spooling Up

Yes, I do left foot brake. I don't believe that you can afford not to do it if you want to go fast. I wouldn't agree that 2 pedals are MUCH easier than three tough. I have been racing with DSM for a long time and only difficulty for three pedal cars is when you have to downshift. There, legs have to be used differently and you have to use your right foot for both brake and accelerator pedals. Aside from that, everything is pretty much the same.

Sponsor:

Old 07-24-2014, 09:20 PM   #109
Tyraid

With three pedals you are dancing all over when you are shifting, with two pedals your feet never move. It's hardly close to the same.
Tyraid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2014, 12:29 AM   #110
MrAWD
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyraid View Post
With three pedals you are dancing all over when you are shifting, with two pedals your feet never move. It's hardly close to the same.
Right, except for one thing! How many times did you have to shift more than once at an autoX? I have been doing this since '96 and I had to shift to third and back no more than 5 times. And two of those are from the DSM Shootouts. Aside from that, at the national type courses, I had to shift to 3rd once at Divisional in Rome, NY. And, at the ProSolo in Petersburg, VA I had to shift to 1st back in days.

So, yes it is harder to do this when you have to shift a lot, but typical autoX doesn't have those requirements, so in that application it is not that big of a deal.

One more thing about SST trainy. It shifts to 3rd a lot more than same geared 5 or 6 speed trainy would have to do. In some cases it is OK, but in a lot of those it is an issue because it is hard to control the car through the fast slalom section when it goes up a gear. In a lot of these cases, staying in 2nd would be just as fast and easier to drive.

Sponsor:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement