Still working on BS prep... - Page 2 - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Racing > Auto-X
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Auto-X Discussion for autocross techniques, events and results.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:20 PM   #11
MrAWD
Just Spooling Up

Yes, my old used set of Hoos...pretty close to end too.

Street tires will have less grip, so I actually think it will be harder to do what we need to do for heavier cars compared to the lighter ones. I might be wrong here, but somehow I don't think I will be...

Fedja
  • camber: -1.9/-1.5 Front, -1.7/-1.6 Rear
  • toe: 0 all
  • RE71 275/35/18s: 34/28 F/R
  • Enkei PF01 silver: 18x8.5
  • Whiteline FSB full stiff, end links

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    doubles, external canisters
  • OEM replacement rotors:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • Porterfield R4S - Carbotech AX6 were ON|OFF switch, squeled like pigs, and made lots of dust

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    adjustable front sway-bar brackets

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsor:

MrAWD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #12
An2ny
Just Spooling Up

Yeah, it sucks for heavy cars but you may be able to run 255-265 on the stock 8.5 wheels?
So right there you have an advantage over STU LOL…I am stuck with 245s; the car can hold crazy speeds on long sweepers, but in lower speed tight turns…it under-steers a lot.
You need to start tuning on street tires now so you will be ready for next year

The S2000 front wheels (AP2) are 7.5 so even a 255 may not ideal up front…I really want to see how this works out next year!
An2ny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #13
MrAWD
Just Spooling Up

I would take 245s with custom spring rates over 265s on OEMs any day!!

Yes, max size tire we can mount on those rims that still work will be an important part of the car's ability to do the right things at the right time! Unfortunately, most street tires have really stiff side walls and it might be hard to go over 265 (if so). I first got a set of 285 710s and couldn't mount them on the stock rims. Switching to Hoosiers helped that one! I am wondering what is the widest street size tire that people managed to put on stock wheels...if anyone has some info on that it would be appreciated!

Fedja

• Porterfield R4S - Carbotech AX6 were ON|OFF switch, squeled like pigs, and made lots of dust

Sponsor:

Old 10-15-2013, 12:27 AM   #14
MrAWD
Just Spooling Up

Since new rules are in books and Hoosiers are bye-bye, I have started looking for the street tires that would fit the bill and everything else. The most important part for running EVO X on street tires (aside of having a grip of course) is heat management! Due to them being very heavy for the "race car", tires will get hot much quicker and being able to handle this is crucial! Now add concrete instead of tarmac, and dual drivers and things will get out of hand pretty quickly.

As of yet I still don't know which one of those will be the best temperature wise. But, I did take a look at the numbers they have attached to them on Tire Rack site. Most of the 275s have 10.2" (10.9" for section width) of thread width (ZII's have 10.4") and my current set of 285 Hoosiers on stock rims is 10.75" of section and I guess thread width (they are rolled over a lot - unmounted section width is almost a whole inch wider) as well, so from that alone it looks like 275s should fit.

Fedja

Sponsor:

Last edited by MrAWD; 10-17-2013 at 04:49 AM.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:39 AM   #15
Mario Linguini

I also will be in B-Stock next year with 2011 MR. I've been looking at the Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08 R. They'll be legal in 2014, but not 2015. However, I'm planning on at least 12+ events and adding in DD, that may be about their limit. I'm curious if anyone has any experience with the ADVAN Neova AD08 R and/or comments.
Mario Linguini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2013, 12:55 AM   #16
Mario Linguini

I have what may seem like a strange question for anyone not in their late 50s, but here goes I was very active in the 1980s with a 1984 Turbo Mustang in G-Stock for 5 years. Got 2 NEDiv 4th place finishes in a class of 12+ cars. I got to the point where I was able to brake with the tires not locked but occasionally emitting a puff of smoke here and there. Then I campaigned a 1989 Mustang LX 5.0 for half a year (until I got married) and I could not duplicate that quality of breaking, but I could detect and avoid locking the wheels.

Neither Mustang had ABS. Now fast forward to 2013 with a 2011 MR. Ive got this AWD beast with over 2X the HP of the Turbo Mustang and I can go into a corner far faster than my memory recalls possible and yet still slow down.

Question: I've got 4 Autocrosses under my belt, and have yet to feel the anti-lock brakes kick in like with the Van and Truck in the winter time. Am I not breaking hard enough? If breaking at the maximal level should I fell some anti-lock kicking in???
Old 10-23-2013, 02:42 AM   #17
MrAWD
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Linguini View Post
I also will be in B-Stock next year with 2011 MR. I've been looking at the Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08 R. They'll be legal in 2014, but not 2015. However, I'm planning on at least 12+ events and adding in DD, that may be about their limit. I'm curious if anyone has any experience with the ADVAN Neova AD08 R and/or comments.
You might be able to used those by the time 2015 arrives! Have in mind that you can't used them whole year long so, my guess is that they might still have something left in there (especially if you flip them half way there). Either way, i don't think that will be a problem either way you go!

I am also contemplating of getting 140s for next season myself (as of now probably Hankooks or perhaps ZIIs), but that really matters only if you want to play with big boys at the National type events. If not, you can go either way.

As of asking about the ABS, this thread is not the best place for it. But, I do get pulsation from the brake pedal in some cases with the stock pads earlier and now with 2500s as well. But not as much for sure! Which points out to two things (well, maybe three in your case): something is not right with the brakes, you are not using brakes as hard as they can be used, or pad material is not good enough for typical autoX duty. Also, it is much easier to engage ABS with less grippy tires - running on Hoosiers makes this much harder compare to the street tires I have tried so far!

Fedja

Sponsor:

Old 10-24-2013, 01:21 AM   #18
Mario Linguini

MrAWD - I'm thinking you're correct about me not being use to modern tires that grip like the stock Yoko's. I only get the Evo out on weekends, so this Saturday I think I'll hit some back roads and really stand on the brakes at about 30-35MPH and see what happens. Several magazines state the stock Evo does nearly 1G on the skid pad, while the Mustangs of the 1980's were lucky to be in low 0.7G range. And the stopping distances were also much different. I'm probably going to have to put a sign on my dashboard for AutoX that says "Press Harder on Brake Pedal" ;o)
Old 03-02-2014, 04:53 PM   #19
gumby4mayor
n00b

Bringing this from the dead, anyone running the X in BS this year?

Obviously not the car to have, an 8 or 9 would be much better. But that's not to say it can't do well locally. I think you will find now that the class is on street tires the EVO and STI will be a dominant car in the class.
gumby4mayor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2014, 05:12 PM   #20
Mario Linguini

I agree. However, if you visit the Corvette Forums:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...els-setup.html

Several of them have an interesting viewpoint: "To me, it looked like they (i.e. SCCA) were handing the new B-street to the C5..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement