Still working on BS prep... - Page 4 - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Racing > Auto-X
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Auto-X Discussion for autocross techniques, events and results.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:58 PM   #31
MrAWD
Just Spooling Up

Last two years I was running on 285 Hoosiers and had no issues with rubbing anywhere. That makes me to expect no issue with this one as well since it is almost as short and a bit narrower as well.

Our first event this passed weekend was canceled due to the bad weather, so it will be few more weeks before I get a chance to try them!

Fedja
  • camber: -1.9/-1.5 Front, -1.7/-1.6 Rear
  • toe: 0 all
  • RE71 275/35/18s: 34/28 F/R
  • Enkei PF01 silver: 18x8.5
  • Whiteline FSB full stiff, end links

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    doubles, external canisters
  • OEM replacement rotors:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • Porterfield R4S - Carbotech AX6 were ON|OFF switch, squeled like pigs, and made lots of dust

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    adjustable front sway-bar brackets

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsor:

MrAWD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2014, 08:08 PM   #32
MrAWD
Just Spooling Up

One thing that I still have to solve is to figure out the starting tire pressures for those RS3s...I am thinking to start with 40/36 F/R, but again, that is just my wild guess. If anyone has any experience with RS3s, I would appreciate it.

Fedja

• Porterfield R4S - Carbotech AX6 were ON|OFF switch, squeled like pigs, and made lots of dust

Sponsor:

Old 04-02-2014, 09:49 PM   #33
MrAWD
Just Spooling Up

It looks like STU guys that ran RS3s used 38 as the hot pressure for their setups. That means I would have to go well over 40, so I will probably go to 42 or even 44 for the start in the front and perhaps closer to 40 in the rear...

Fedja

Sponsor:

Old 04-03-2014, 12:36 AM   #34
Z Madness
Just Spooling Up

Fwiw, I ran 40/38 on my RS3's, but that was 245's on a 9.5 inch width.
Z Madness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2014, 09:52 PM   #35
MrAWD
Just Spooling Up

Interesting that you had to go that high in the rear...

Sponsor:

Old 04-04-2014, 03:08 PM   #36
gumby4mayor
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAWD View Post
Interesting that you had to go that high in the rear...
? It's only 2Psi higher than what you wanted to start at.

I would try 36/36 cold 38/38 hot and see what the tires are doing with either chalk on the outer edges or see if it feels too sloppy for your liking. Regardless, a 275 on an 8.5" rim and RS3's none the less will feel a little vague compared to say a 245 ZII. You may FEEL like pressures are too low but you will likely be sacrificing overall grip by going into the 40's hunting for that better feel you will likely get from going up.

STU won't be directly comparable, they have coilovers, camber, 9.5+- rims and 245 tires. You will have to test yourself to find out what works with the pinched RS3 setup. REPORT BACK, we are all interested in what you find works best for you.
gumby4mayor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 03:42 PM   #37
MrAWD
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby4mayor View Post
? It's only 2Psi higher than what you wanted to start at.
When I ran 285 Hoosiers, I had rears at 33 psi while the fronts were over 40 - that is why I was expecting rear pressure to be lower and better suited rim/tire combo.

I will write my impressions of my combo as soon as I get to first even which looks like to be on 19th. But, since these are street tires, I might put them on the car before that event and drive around a bit as long as temps don't dip into 30s any more.

Fedja

Sponsor:

Old 04-14-2014, 01:44 AM   #38
MrAWD
Just Spooling Up

Well, I decided to try new tires on the car and just drving around on them at about 35 psi for all, things seemed just fine. Looks like speedo is showing higher speed due to shorter sidewalls, so I have to find out what is actuall speed that car is doing when it shows 70 mph on the guage. Tomorrow I will have a chance to push things a bit harder on few on-ramps, so I will post update from that as well. Here is how the car looks like with those tires:

Fedja

Sponsor:

Last edited by MrAWD; 04-14-2014 at 03:51 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:31 PM   #39
MrAWD
Just Spooling Up

So, I tried new tires thanks to two nice days and it was fun! The pressure was lower than it should be for serious cornering (around 35 all around), but grip was improved tremendously! Feel was much more like I was running on Hoosiers than on a street tires, although not that crisp for sure. But, it wasn't decapitating bad either - just slightly softer then I'm used to with Ho Ho's.

I was glad they were not making any noise when pushed, since that is something that gets in the way after running race rubber for this long - kind of feels that you are doing something wrong, even though that is just the way most of the street tires are.

Race day is this Saturday, but things are not looking promising again due to the chance of rain - not much yet, but still in the forecast. And tems are not going to favour these tires as well, so decision will have to be made once I get there. If it stays in low 50s, I will run on RS3s, but if it rains, than I am staying on all season rubber. When I did a fist turn on pretty cold ones without ever being driven on, they pushed right away and surprised me a bit. But, now they are scuffed a bit, so they should be a bit better.

Fedja

Sponsor:

Old 04-16-2014, 01:06 AM   #40
MrAWD
Just Spooling Up

I have install my all seasons back on the car due to winter weather not giving up over here. Here is the same picture as above to compare them, but with stock size tires on stock rims:

Sponsor:

Last edited by MrAWD; 04-16-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement