Still working on BS prep... - Page 5 - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Racing > Auto-X
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Auto-X Discussion for autocross techniques, events and results.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:07 AM   #41
MrAWD
Just Spooling Up

Finally, first event in the books! With new tires which were not Hoosiers for a change!

So, after having a chance to try my new tires in the size everyone was saying it will be bad (275/35/18 on stock 8.5" rim) I could finally write my own impressions of those. Started with 40 psi all around. Fronts got hotter than the rears and climbed to 42s, while I kept rears at 40. Wear was still up to the arrows on the side and it didn't seem to roll over more than it should at those pressures. As a mater of fact, I might go even lower on both ends. I did ended up with somewhat strange wear (I will post the picture later), which is hard to explain. But, more on that one later.

How did it feel? Was it squishy as I was told it will be? Shortest answer is not really! As a mater of fact, I am not sure what people were referring to. Tires felt just fine! On a stiffer suspensioned car it might be more noticeable, but on EVO X with stock suspension, not at all. Actually, feel was pretty close to the Hoosiers, but with less overall grip. That might be something that was actually helping heavy car as EVO. Due to less overall grip, car was not rolling as much as it used to do with Hoosiers, so it was a bit easier to control it.

As a mater of fact, this was very first time that car was just right! Not too loose and not tight at all - just the way the doctor ordered! The best part was that guy who was with me last year, in nicely prepared CR (those got moved up to the AS), and was beating me 3-4 seconds at least every single time, ended up just over a tent of a second faster. He was using ZIIs.

I am beginning to believe that this street thing might be actually helpful for us EVO guys in there! One thing that still unbalances the car a lot is brakes. That part didn't change much (maybe slightly due to less grip now, but not much) and nose still dives a lot when you smash on the pedal. My co-driver was having most of the issues with brakes in that regard. I do believe that once more rebound is turned up on all four and perhaps touch of compression as well to the dumpers, this will be less of an issue, since body will not move as much and as quickly any more. But, I am not there yet, so that will be left for some other discussion.

More one that strange wear. It was obvious that outside edges got beating. But, there are two curvy strips outside of the middle bar on both sides and only the inside one got some wear. Outside one (near the outside edge) got no wear whatsoever. At this time I have no explanation for why this happened. Again, as soon as I get picture ready, I will post it below. The only thing that I could think of is that I was running too little pressure and those two spots were the ones making it work. Next time I will measure temperatures on the thread itself so I will have better idea what is going on.

At the end, I am very glad that I went with 275s. They seem to be pretty good at the moment.

Fedja
  • camber: -1.9/-1.5 Front, -1.7/-1.6 Rear
  • toe: 0 all
  • RE71 275/35/18s: 34/28 F/R
  • Enkei PF01 silver: 18x8.5
  • Whiteline FSB full stiff, end links

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    doubles, external canisters
  • OEM replacement rotors:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • Porterfield R4S - Carbotech AX6 were ON|OFF switch, squeled like pigs, and made lots of dust

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    adjustable front sway-bar brackets

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsor:

MrAWD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2014, 09:22 PM   #42
MrAWD
Just Spooling Up

Here is the picture of this strange wear that I was getting over the weekend event:

The left side is on outside and you can clearly see lot more heat effect to that side of the thread. Interesting part happens for the two section on the side of the middle ring that have those curvy impressions. As you can see the one on the right side shows more wear than the one on the left side which is closer to the section that got lots of use.

Anyone has any idea what would make it to create that kind of uneven wear?

Fedja

• Porterfield R4S - Carbotech AX6 were ON|OFF switch, squeled like pigs, and made lots of dust

Sponsor:

Old 05-10-2014, 01:33 AM   #43
MrAWD
Just Spooling Up

Finally, I have stock replacement for the OEM size front rotors!! Here is the picture:

These are custom made units and have no labeling as "for EVO X" thing on them. You would need all of the numbers for it to be made or to send your old one so it can be measured. Place that made then is Coleman Racing.

I have 4 of them right now and spent so far close to $800 for everything. Racing Brake has the fasteners that you can use. These have no "I" pieces included, but you pay a bit less if you can reuse original ones.

Sponsor:

Last edited by MrAWD; 05-23-2014 at 08:32 PM.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:23 PM   #44
HappyMint
Forum Addict

I just saw this, but overheating of the tire on the outside of the tread is common when you run tires that are too wide for the wheel. This has happened with our lemons car, and the only way we didnt' overheat and chunk the shit out of the tire on the outside edge was adding as much camber as possible (drilling out the brackets on our struts, everything). No idea how much camber we have, but probably -3 to -4 degrees.

For Auto X you can get away with it due to the short run duration. But if you were to lap on those tires at your current setup, you'd probably overheat them in no time.

Build thread with lots of vids:

Quote:
Originally Posted by morricus
I'm drawn to them and cannot turn away. Its the same morbid fascination I'd have while watching a severely retarded person try to pick up a quarter off the street.

HappyMint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2014, 01:12 PM   #45
MrAWD
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMint View Post
I just saw this, but overheating of the tire on the outside of the tread is common when you run tires that are too wide for the wheel...
Glad you could join in!

As of your comment. I am not sure where complaint was made about the outside edge being overheated...I know I have mentioned that inside middles strip showed more wear than an outside middle part (one with flames on it), but not an outside edge...

Fedja

Sponsor:

Old 05-12-2014, 01:14 PM   #46
MrAWD
Just Spooling Up

I had a warning light came up yesterday which said something about me having to service all-wheel-control system. Car just turned 36k and trainy oil was replaced 10k ago...is this a sign of the pump going south?

Fedja

Sponsor:

Old 05-12-2014, 01:29 PM   #47
HappyMint
Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAWD View Post
Glad you could join in!

As of your comment. I am not sure where complaint was made about the outside edge being overheated...I know I have mentioned that inside middles strip showed more wear than an outside middle part (one with flames on it), but not an outside edge...

Fedja
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAWD
The left side is on outside and you can clearly see lot more heat effect to that side of the thread.
This is what I saw to make me think this.

Quote:
I'm drawn to them and cannot turn away. Its the same morbid fascination I'd have while watching a severely retarded person try to pick up a quarter off the street.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:02 PM   #48
MrAWD
Just Spooling Up

I see! You were right about that on the outside of the tire, but that wasn't my concern - basically that is expected for under cambered car geometry!

Sponsor:

Old 05-12-2014, 02:46 PM   #49
HappyMint
Forum Addict

My only point is, oversized tires for wheels exacerbates said problem.

Quote:

Old 05-12-2014, 03:47 PM   #50
Iowa999
Just Spooling Up

This is one of those things that you just have to accept. Some folks are willing to spend uber dollars on tires, replacing them much more often than "regular" folks, just to be a few hundred milliseconds faster at an autocross. Same goes for people who delete every creature comfort that they are allowed to remove, again to reduce their times by some (small) amount. Or they run such a crazy alignment that the car ends up on a trailer even though it runs in a class with the word "stock" in the label.

For a while this bugged me. I would grumble about the "trailer queen" that beat me by less than .100 s. But that's just part of competition. Some folks are willing to go the next step. Some are not. That a 275/35/18 will be better (on OE-width wheels) than something less wide but last only a few events is a fact that you have to face.
Iowa999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement