Need advice with Gauges (AMI custom pod with AEM, Defi, or Zeitronix) - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Vanity
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Vanity Discuss body kits, wings, interior mods, etc having to do with the appearance of the Evo X. Do NOT post detailing threads here.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
Zoomie
Just Spooling Up

Need advice with Gauges (AMI custom pod with AEM, Defi, or Zeitronix)

I'm mostly sold on the AMI customs A-pillar pods but have some minor concerns about sightlines.

Does anyone have a dual pod (low mount) who can comment on how much view you lose in the front left? A few times now I've had a car suddenly "appear" about 10 feet away when I'm turning left even with the stock pillar. Even if I'm the only one to ever have this issue, I'd like to know if an a-pillar pod will make it worse.

I'm trying to decide between two gauges or a single mounted down low. The twin pods would be Boost and AFR unless someone can suggest better. I'll probably go AEM or Defi.

The other option is a single Zeitronix ZR2, mounted low. Does anyone have one of these gauges mounted in an AMI pod? I ask because the back of the Zeitronix is 52mm but the bezel is 62 and might look odd if it overlaps by 5mm either side.

I like that the ZR2 will let me monitor AFR, Boost, EGT, and something like Oil Temp, all at the same time. On the other hand, does the ability to monitor many things (one at a time) replace the information from two seperate dedicated gauges?

Cost is about the same for both setups, so really I'm just looking for three answers:
1. Obstructed view from a middle pod on an AMI custom a-pillar
2. On a Stage 1 setup, is Boost & AFR enough to safely monitor the engine?
3. Does the ZR2 overlap the AMI pod and look strange?

Cheers,

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 WW Flappy Paddle - MR Touring
ETS Intake/3.5"IC/DP/TP/V2quiet
EnglishRacing Tune (250->332whp/240->304wtq on dynojet)
Zoomie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2011, 07:34 AM   #2
Zoomie
Just Spooling Up

On paper Zeitronix is looking like the better option but I don't know much about their quality or precision. Does anyone have any experience with Zeitronix gauges?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:47 AM   #3
HAC6668

looks like no one has anything to say LOL

anyways i have a custom pod made my AMI customs, its actually a custom 3 guage made by Andrew for my RHD, i must say it turned out pretty good, i love it and the angle of the lower two were good and the top one was pointed a lil too high, but good nonetheless considering it was his FIRST time doing the RHD. ( i get lots of compliments for it too)

I dont find it to block my view, its a bit big but i still look out the door window when negotiating a turn anyways, even on the stock pillar. I have the defi racer gauges...they fit nicely.

hope this helps
HAC6668 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2011, 10:59 AM   #4
bear.914
Just Spooling Up

How are you getting one of these pods ? Seems like they're all sold out to me lol
bear.914 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2011, 11:08 AM   #5
jmayevox
Evos before hoes

^^^ Yea or it might take like 6 months before you ever see it.
Cobb=
AP
TOMEI
=Exhaust
Drivetrain
Exedy=Twinhd
Magnus=CMC
AMS=UHB,GS
TWM=SS,BB
Exterior Mods

Agency Power=
Shorty Antenna
RalliArt=
Taillights
Interior Mods

AMS=Delrin Shift Knob
Custom
=Carbon Shift Knob
Redlinegoods=Leather
Suspension/Break Mods

Girodisc=Magic Pads
jmayevox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2011, 12:22 PM   #6
bear.914
Just Spooling Up

I might order one if they ever decide to "stock" them, for now I think the dual rexpeed a pillar will do lol
Old 04-30-2011, 01:23 PM   #7
raytrix
Forum Lackey

Zetronix was second worst.
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/r...B_Shootout.pdf
raytrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #8
Zoomie
Just Spooling Up

If these pillars aren't in stock anymore I'll just mount the gauges with the existing basic hardware until they are, or until someone else fills this niche with a stock looking pillar.

Thanks for the link Raytrix. While the results are a bit suspect for Innovate (it's their product they're pushing), the relative reviews of the other brands is probably accurate.

I also noticed that the Zeitronix kit I was comparing only has the o2 sensor and that the other sensors I'd want cost quite a bit... so I think I'm going dual AEM.
They DO bring up a good point about worn sensors. Only the Innovate would throw a flag saying "bad sensor" while the others would read off. Still, I think I'm willing to take that chance with the AEM UEGO.

I work in aviation and there's something to be said for having a gauge dedicated to each sensor. While I like the idea of a minimal install footprint, two 52mm gauges vs one 62mm isn't a huge difference in dash real-estate.

Last edited by Zoomie; 04-30-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:15 PM   #9
raytrix
Forum Lackey

Don't get my wrong, I ran a AEM UEGO Analog style for a year and it haven't failed on me yet. It's pretty accurate at a +- .2 AFR. As long as your monitoring your ranges between 10.5-12 wide open throttle and cruise/idle 13.8-15.2 you should be fine. Anything pass those ranges you are either running mega rich or super lean.

Sweet spots to look for is 14.7 and 11.5 between cruise and full throttle
raytrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2011, 03:21 PM   #10
bear.914
Just Spooling Up

I am debating analag air/fuel now with the AEM, the uego might get annoying with night driving lol...

Guys how do you feel about Analog vs Digital with boost guages?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement