Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Stock tire question???

8K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  SS-to-EvoX 
#1 ·
I was looking at my stock tires, which have a little bit over 5200 miles on them. I have owned the car since march 26th and am the second owner. First owner put 2554 miles on it. What I noticed was cracks in the rubber in between the tread. My thoughts are that they are dry rotting. Eithe way they will need replaced soon.

Question 1: has this happened to anyone else? What came of it?

Quesion 2: what would cause this?

Question 3: since the tires are falling apart well before they should, would the warrenty cover this defect in the tires?

Any help would be great!

#10 ·
I thought they were pretty amazing actually and I'm in PA. NT05's might have more maximum grip, but the Yokos are by far the most responsive I've driven on.

#11 ·
I still have my OEM Advans...almost 9000 miles on them, but they are toast...the tires are AMAZING:wackoff:, but you gotta have the budget to keep them...look to Nitto...although I was able to buy some from another forum member for 700 with only 2k on them, so Nittos will be Summer 2011....:rock:

#12 ·
So what are the best tires to get for DD/occasional spirited driving for rain/dry/80s almost everday dips down to 50 lowest ive seen here in hawaii. Also i think Hawaii is like k2nd or 3rd for shittiest roads. Id like to get some rims but thatll probably be in a few years. I will be going back to kansas in 3 years so ill need 2 sets of tires/rims when that happens.

#13 ·
So what are the best tires to get for DD/occasional spirited driving for rain/dry/80s almost everday dips down to 50 lowest ive seen here in hawaii. Also i think Hawaii is like k2nd or 3rd for shittiest roads. Id like to get some rims but thatll probably be in a few years. I will be going back to kansas in 3 years so ill need 2 sets of tires/rims when that happens.
My Hankook V12's suit me just fine. There's a pretty good tire review from one of the big car mags that you can find on google. The Hankooks were best in the rain and had close to the highest lateral g's in dry and wet. They are nice DD tires IMO, and have plenty of grip (I run 265's) but won't be quite as responsive as more extreme tires like NT05's or Star Specs. NT05's are downright scary in the rain though. Living in Hawaii, I'd go Hankooks.

#15 ·
Haha, yeah that might be the best quote I've ever read. That'll be my sig for quite a while.

#16 ·
Ventus V12 evo K110 Size: 245/40ZR18.... those the right ones?? Im looking at the reviews and there not to great on tirerack.com and there pretty cheap.. 140 a piece sound right?

#20 ·
Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec Size: 245/40ZR18 $195 each Think those would be a better option? Whats the difference between 245 and 265 thats the width right? Is there any advantages of going with the 265 over the stock 245 with the stock GSR rims?

#21 ·
Is there any advantages of going with the 265 over the stock 245 with the stock GSR rims?
No definitely not. I have wider 9.5 inch rims, which is why I run 265. Run 245's on the stockers. Otherwise things will suck!

#23 ·
Im on my 3rd set of stock tires... bought the other 2 slightly used... neither of them have lasted me more than 10K with spirited street driving and occasional autocross/gymkhana... i love how responsive these tires are and grip very well too as long as the temp is above 50...as for your tires, i would say yes they are probably dry rotting, ive never heard of this happen to these tires before.

#24 ·
my stockers lasted 24k miles with mostly highway driving & plenty of spirited driving.. but they were in desperate need to be changed when I swapped them out for my A/S tires.. I want to go back to the stock tires for their awesome responsiveness.. if only they would have more tread life!!

#25 ·
My friends lasted a whole 3000 miles before he picked up another set of stock tires.

#26 ·
these tires are awesome! i just got my car the other day and my first turn i nearly ate the curb on a right hander. the turn in is pretty quick. having said that i need to sell mine. i bought the car here in florida and i need to drive it back up to michigan in 2 weeks. just thinking about driving in snow with these tires gives me heart palpitations. no way i can risk it. i just need to get my posts up so i can sell em in the forums or maybe ebay and get some high peeformance all seasons so i dont die. 100 miles on em. boo hoo

#27 ·
Don't sell the stock tires for snow tires of All Seasons, that's just silly.

The stock Advans are fantastic tires, except in the snow. Buy a set of snow tires, toss them on the stock rims, and then just move the Advans back over when it becomes nice. Then buy a larger set of rims, another set of high performance summer tires when the Advans die, and then voila: You have a winter set and a summer set.

Tossing out the Advans is like tossing out the baby with the bathwater.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.