Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Sticky: Suggestions for "things X owners should know"

172K views 181 replies 124 participants last post by  Viered 
#1 · (Edited)
Post up your suggestions for what should be on the list. List things that I have not put in the sticky and feel free to PM me if you want. Things such as what to be aware of, things that suck, and things that need attention from the factory. Please limit the BS talk as it will just get deleted. Discuss on this topic only.

Refer to hear before you post
http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33641

#44 ·
Could be an exhaust leak, might want to check that out, lol.

#49 ·
Most of the stuff is for all years. I honestly can't think of any "issues" that were fixed from 2008->2011. Did they ever start using non-black fuel relays? Did they move to green ones?

Other than that, mechanically, they're all the same. Some of the interior stuff will vary; ie, we might start to see FUSE-related threads pop up.

#50 ·
honestly, i would be surprised if they had fixed any issues. most car companies already have the next few model year cars planned out well in advance, and short of a recall, theyre not going to change anything that wasnt already planned. change = money spent = bad. and they rarely issue recalls unless its emissions or safety related. and safety related usually means a few people have to die first.

#52 ·
what can be done about tearing along the seams of the recaros? also would the dealership charge for the reflash?

#54 ·
Well, they might. TSBs aren't necessarily going to be free, IIRC. They CAN be free, and they SHOULD be free, but unless it's a "recall", they might charge.

You can probably convince them otherwise, but I wouldn't put it past them to try to charge for it. It's something that takes their time and energy to do, even if it is, as we all know, stupidly simple.

#59 ·
Well, they might. TSBs aren't necessarily going to be free, IIRC. They CAN be free, and they SHOULD be free, but unless it's a "recall", they might charge.

You can probably convince them otherwise, but I wouldn't put it past them to try to charge for it. It's something that takes their time and energy to do, even if it is, as we all know, stupidly simple.
TSB's will be free for as long as they honor your warranty. YMMV ;)

#57 ·
damn didnt even know about this. good stuff!

#62 ·
ACD Hydraulic pump tends to fail in cold weather.

Error code - c161e

Dat sux. I've noticed on the cold cold mornings, even after letting the engine warm up, the driveline seems to be "bound", almost like the feeling of brakes dragging. I wonder if its related. I'm old enough to know, if it doesn't sound right or feel right, don't beat it, baby it. Regardless of how new, how fast, how smart....

#65 ·
Someday maybe I'll check my relays, probably have gen 1 since I picked mine up pretty early in the 08 MY, but I've never seen it act up. But daily use is the best way to keep that stuff working and happy. She turned 50k a week ago, I probably have some of the best knowledge of what it takes to keep it running as a daily driver :) $

#68 ·
I figured, but what I was most concerned about was the big problems, like.

-Change your stock Fuel Pump relay to the blue/green one
-Make sure your Fuel Pressure Regulator hose is connected and zip tied
-Stock tune is VERY RICH
-Factory paint is thin and chips real easy
-Left handed turns causing fuel surge when tracking
-The stock Panasonic battery tends to have a short life span--Dealer will warranty if it dies
-Factory alignment is horrible--should consider getting alignment done soon after purchase
-Make sure to check your stock spark plugs regularly. Many have had the ceramic tips broken off

Does anyone know if any of this stuff was fixed for newer (2010+) models?

#71 ·
Did some updates JoJo

This list is just some of the things that we as X owners should know. This way we dont have to clutter sections up with the same threads all the time. I will update this thread as much as needed to keep everyone posted with the latest info. Please PM me if I have left anything out.

-Change your stock Fuel Pump relay to the blue/green one
-Make sure your Fuel Pressure Regulator hose is connected and zip tied
-Have the latest factory reflash
-Stay up-to-date on factory recalls..ie..fuel pipe and hood release cable
-Stock clutch blows (dont care what any of you non-drivin fools say)
-Factory BOV and LICP are good for stock turbo applications
-GSR owners check your seats for tears along the seams
-MR owners PAINT THE CHROME TRIM BLACK!!!!!!!!!!!
-Stock tune is VERY RICH (Causes black smoke on acceleration)
-Stock Master Cylinder is prone to failure - SSP & Magnus make replacements (AMS ring does nothing)
-Differential Pins have failed - (Due to lubrication issues, just changing pins does not fix issue)
-Factory paint is thin and chips real easy
-Aggressive turning on less than 1/2 tank may cause fuel starvation issues
-The stock Panasonic battery tends to have a short life span--Dealer will warranty if it dies
-Factory alignment is horrible--should consider getting alignment done soon after purchase
-If you run an aftermarket blow off valve, venting to atmosphere causes problems
-If your service required light kicks on showing your wheels and your asc is off check your rear diff fluid in the trunk
-Your car has to be off to adjust the settings for your service intervals.
-Make sure to check your stock spark plugs regularly. Many have had the ceramic tips broken off (This is due to running lean; see fuel relay / FPR hose)
-Only 1 set of TPMS sensors can be married to a car at a time and must be done by stealership. (No way of turning TPMS off)

See this thread for suggestions:
http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33645

#72 ·

-Only 1 set of TPMS sensors can be married to a car at a time and must be done by stealership. (No way of turning TPMS off)

See this thread for suggestions:
http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33645

I've read two different suppliers of things like this that can re-emulate the old TPMS sensors, I'm guessing with radio data on top of the sensors that are installed and paired already. I'm wishing I knew who had tried these.

http://www.ez-sensor.com/programming-the-sensor.html

#75 · (Edited)
I just meant that post lol. I guess you can update all you want with a new post each time. I will consolidate the info though and post it to the front page of the other thread

*updated*

#76 ·
Hi everyone! Im brand new to the this forum and to the EVO X.
i am actually in the process of selling my 08 Scion xD for a 2008 EVO GSR.

i have just a few questions.

knowing this thing is one of the fastest things on the road, and that its maitenance might be that of a poodle, what am i looking at when it comes to changing things and replacing certain parts, etc.

like i said im super new, and i just want to know what kind of monster im getting into.

thanks for any info! :D

#77 ·
Mine is almost at 58,000 miles, daily drive is 50 interstate miles, 25 state hwy, few stop lights. Also have a dozen or more track days on her. Started tracking with bone stock plus TBE, now use dedicated racing pads and blank rotors, have added minor suspension things, nothing radical.

I change oil every 3-4k, less with tracking time. I flush my brake fluid out every year, plus push fresh before every track event (ATE Racing Blue is cheap, good quality, and a Motive pressure bleeder will only set you back $50 or so). I changed the drivetrain fluids at 32,000 miles myself, was VERY easy but you need some kind of pump (I used a cheap old style oil can that has a pump, attached a tube to the end of it and a tube to the pickup to get to the oil.

Everything that the maintenance guide at one of the forums is what I've done for fluids. I'm not sure if I"ll do the 60k tappet measurement, since I know I need at least one replaced, I might try to let it "ride" til the first (TBD) timing change replacement. Clutch still seems ok for track and DD, I have only gotten about 10 runs on the 1/4 just for benchmarking, I don't plan on any more in the future of this clutch. I've been told by a reputable (family) tranny shop owner that the clutch is a 5-6 hour job in a shop, be prepared to bring your own clutch he tells me :)

OEM brakes lasted til about 24k, they probably have meat on them "just in case" and at the dealer price I have kept the remnants for backups. OEM tires lasted me til 8500 miles, kept those as "remnants" for track slicks, mostly worn summer tires are supposed very very good for that purpose!

My second set of brakes are still on -- Stoptech Street Perforance (noisy dusty but good); my second set of tires (Dunlop Star Spec Z1) lasted me about 10,500 -- they died after the fourth track day on them plus all those DD miles. My third set of tires died this past spring, they were Yoko A/S W4S that lasted pretty well, two track sessions on them. My fourth set of tires are Conti DWS, awesome on the track on RAIN days :D

(See a pattern yet?)

If you don't track it, you're missing out or doing the deeds dangerously on open public roads.

#78 ·
As far as maintenance goes, having a good aftermarket is a great thing. If you do like Steve and only buy what you need and not stuff that you want then the car can be pretty affordable. Fluid changes aren't hard (I'm no mechanic but I did my drivetrain fluids, brakes, etc). The car is pretty easy to work on as far as wear items go.

#80 ·
Ive had and noticed quite a few of the common problems you have stated...

nice one.

And dont forget...drop in filters blow MAF sensors.:duh:

#82 ·

It usually stems from the person over oiling their filter elements. I've fixed this in the past by using a MAF spray which is different than a electrical cleaner spray. They sell it at most auto parts stores.

#83 ·

It usually stems from the person over oiling their filter elements. I've fixed this in the past by using a MAF spray which is different than a electrical cleaner spray. They sell it at most auto parts stores.
I never ever oiled the filter. But when i opened the air box up the MAF was completely covered in pollen and shit!! ive noticed that the HKS drop in is not a good fit at all.:(

All it takes is something to touch the MAF sensor and thats it.

#84 ·
Hey guys, im new hear. Picked up my 2011 Evo-X GSR yesterday. I plan on doing bolt ons and a tune pretty much right after the break in period. But someone mentioned a BOV that vents to the atmosphear messed up the tune, i understand the car will go rich...how do u tune for that? Whats the best recirculating bov for our cars? I would like to have the nice sound of a bov but not at the expense of having issues with the car. A tech at the dealership said theres some that is a recirculating bov but also vents like 5% to the atmosphere.

Also where can i get one and what kind of fuel relays should i get to replace the stock one?

#88 ·
yes you are new here. dont vent your bov your going to get more problems then its worth if you like the sound just get an open k&n filter. your ecu account for that air via the mass air flow sensor it needs to stay in the system on older speed density ecus it dont matter if you vent your bov. you dont need the relays that is a problem on the 2008 evos and you need to shake the car down for a few thousand miles before you start modding or until you can max out the sawc gauge which ever happens last.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.