Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Changing up the interior a "little" bit

33K views 96 replies 26 participants last post by  KTMrider 
#1 · (Edited)
I decided to luxurize the inside of my car a little bit, mostly because I have too much time to spare. So I got my screwdriver and started removing things. Here's a list of things removed and what I'm planning to do with them:

Oh shit handles: paint black
Headliner (basically almost out, few things here and there)- black suede
Pillars- black suede (passenger a pillar already done)
Gloss black trim- suggestions? I'm thinking about wrapping it matte finished blood red
Shift knob bezel and the bezel around the awc button- whatever I do to the gloss black trim will be done to this as well

Pics of where it is at as of now (at least before taking out the gloss trim on the passenger door).

Yes the decals will be removed

Suggestions? Revisions?

Before pic:

See less See more
#2 ·
remove the entire dash, fiberglass mold a triple gauge pod in the center angled towards the driver and have the whole thing professionally upholstered in soft touch leather from top to bottom, then do the same with each door panel and get the leather recaros if you dont hhave the leather package

#4 ·
Already have a triple pod for the pillar, going with a single on the steering column instead. As for cloth the dash may be wrapped. Another thing, I'll also wrap the steering wheel silver bezel in whatever color the center trim is done

#5 ·
Took everything out of the headliner, suede wrap will be done next weekend (hopefully)

Going with red trim

#6 ·
Taking everything slow. The red vinyl should be at home sometime this upcoming week. Removed some more stuff today:

Thinking about moving that obd2 extension to the glove box, but the one I got is short and won't reach there.

How is the bezel (silver) removed from the steering wheel?

#9 ·
#16 ·
Thanks man, I really hope. I can't seem to get it right with the 3M, in a way on which it won't leave bubbles under. I tried popping the bubbles but that doesn't do much. Got the center trim done today and installed:

Picture of the headliner (or more like lack of)

#17 ·
Looks good !

#20 · (Edited)
A heat gun will help get the bubbles out. Just take your time and move slowly. It can be tedious but the results will be worth it.

Looking good!
I've always wished the plastics and headliner came black from the factory. It's gonna look really nice.
Thanks everyone.

@Sev me too. If you want I can do yours too after I'm done with mine

@Kyle got a few more bubbles out, it's not perfect but I'll get it fixed up eventually. Here's a look at where it's at right now:

Sure as hell feels nice to be working at home and not in a parking lot

Happy Easter everyone

Edit: added the last coat of clear coat

#19 ·
I've always wished the plastics and headliner came black from the factory. It's gonna look really nice.

#23 ·
I haven't yet decided how to attach it. The way it's attached to the A pillars is its stretched around the pillar and attached using hot glue (and some gorilla glue) on the other side. Should I use 3M spray adhesive? That's what I have but it was useless with the pod pillar as it lost strength after just a day in the sun...

#24 ·
Well thats why i ask...I wasn't sure if that would "bleed through"

I think that 3M makes a special headliner adhesive. I don't know how it would perform in the summer heat of CA however. I think i like your approach of wrapping/stretching it around, and fastening it on the backside.

#25 ·
That's what I'm considering but the headliner has little indents for the sun shades and I'm not sure if it sit in them without gluing it on. Another thing is the sun shades, I'm not sure how to paint those since I can't seem to get the mirrors off to wrap them (don't want to pull too hard so I don't damage it). These are minor setbacks compared to what could have happened, taking this mini-project really slow since it can be frustrating to do everything all over because of a small nick.

#27 · (Edited)

Considering either wrapping the above in the same red carbon vinyl or simply coloring the RECARO logo red. Not sure if I want to do both and wrapping those trim pieces looks like it would be a pain but the carbon pattern throws the whole thing off a bit

Also: steering wheel stitching to be colored red as well as shifter and shift boot stitching

#29 ·
Considering either wrapping the above in the same red carbon vinyl or simply coloring the RECARO logo red. Not sure if I want to do both and wrapping those trim pieces looks like it would be a pain but the carbon pattern throws the whole thing off a bit

Also: steering wheel stitching to be colored red as well as shifter and shift boot stitching
curious to how you would change the stitching color?

#28 ·
I really like that red carbon wrap on the glossy trim! I had actually considering going with something like that shortly after I bought the car but was curious to how it would look. Well done sir. Love the updates.

#32 ·
Thank you! Hopefully it'll all be done before/on saturday

curious to how you would change the stitching color?
The ghetto way by using a red sharpie/marker and wiping off excess from surrounding areas. I'm not sure if this will work with the RECARO logo tho

looks good, how hard was the headliner to remove? I have wanted to wrap it with suede, but feared breaking tabs and having more things rattle.

I did my trim pieces in black cf with 3m dynoc I thought it makes the interior a little less cheap, some people would probably bed to differ. I was not sure how the red would look but I think it came out real good.
Thank you!

Not too difficult at all actually, just remove oh shit handles, sun shade, the clips for the sunshade (which are tough but will come out fine), done lights and two tabs in the rear. I was also considering black but everybody had it. It was between red carbon and red metal trim.

#31 ·
looks good, how hard was the headliner to remove? I have wanted to wrap it with suede, but feared breaking tabs and having more things rattle.

I did my trim pieces in black cf with 3m dynoc I thought it makes the interior a little less cheap, some people would probably bed to differ. I was not sure how the red would look but I think it came out real good.

#35 ·
recaro was easier to do as you can just lead the dye over it and it will just fill in. The steering wheel was a bitch because I had to do each individual strand and fill it in then wipe it off asap so the residue doesn't stay on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.