Stock tire question??? - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > '08+ Lancer Common > '08+ Lancer Wheels, Suspension, & Brakes
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

'08+ Lancer Wheels, Suspension, & Brakes Discussion for wheels, tires, brakes, and suspension related topics that are common among all 08+ Lancers.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:59 AM   #1
DarkRider
X-phile

Stock tire question???

I was looking at my stock tires, which have a little bit over 5200 miles on them. I have owned the car since march 26th and am the second owner. First owner put 2554 miles on it. What I noticed was cracks in the rubber in between the tread. My thoughts are that they are dry rotting. Eithe way they will need replaced soon.

Question 1: has this happened to anyone else? What came of it?

Quesion 2: what would cause this?

Question 3: since the tires are falling apart well before they should, would the warrenty cover this defect in the tires?

Any help would be great!
DarkRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2010, 03:13 AM   #2
Blue_X
Just Spooling Up

Stock tires really blow, They ware extreamly fast, and its not covered under any type of warrantee.
Blue_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2010, 03:16 AM   #3
lehuynh1981
Just Spooling Up

go through your paperwork and look for the yoko pamphlet for limited warranty on the tires, read it and see if it applies to you. more than likely it is not covered, but give it a shot.

Up next: MHI 18k
lehuynh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 12:40 AM   #4
hotdog
Dr. Evo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_X View Post
Stock tires really blow, They ware extreamly fast, and its not covered under any type of warrantee.
Correction: Stock tires don't blow. They're just narrow. They're good tires, and should be replaced by something equivalent, just wider, on larger rims.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:47 AM   #5
cavasotti
X-phile

i have my stock on and I am going to replace them at the end of the summer.. the car has 14k miles on it.. but mostly highway miles. I will probably get the Nitto NT-05s
cavasotti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2010, 01:42 AM   #6
newcomer81
Forum Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdog View Post
Correction: Stock tires don't blow. They're just narrow. They're good tires, and should be replaced by something equivalent, just wider, on larger rims.
the v12 evos aren't much better i just did an autocross on them =/

BakaUnchi tune in progress

newcomer81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2010, 01:50 AM   #7
Lesterh
Forum Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomer81 View Post
the v12 evos aren't much better i just did an autocross on them =/
They're not supposed to be better. I have them too, and bought them for performance and longevity, knowing that they aren't in the same league as the stock Yokos or NT05s. The V12's have a treadwear rating of 280 compared to 200 and 180 for the other two. The stock tires rock, they just melted away in 5000 miles .

"When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy."
-General Tommy Franks
Lesterh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2010, 12:09 AM   #8
lallen3
Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdog View Post
I agree. The stockers are actually pretty awesome for their size. And that tread-wear rating is just track time waiting to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesterh View Post
They're not supposed to be better. I have them too, and bought them for performance and longevity, knowing that they aren't in the same league as the stock Yokos or NT05s. The V12's have a treadwear rating of 280 compared to 200 and 180 for the other two. The stock tires rock, they just melted away in 5000 miles .
Agreed. I just got Star Specs. The stock Yoko's are 400/ea where I live. Great tires, but DD will wear them quickly.
lallen3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2010, 12:38 AM   #9
GGEVOX
Just Spooling Up

I guess I'm the only one who ever thought the stock tires completely sucked. I don't know why everybody praises them. They lasted 5k miles, they were loud as hell, and traction sucked on PA roads. Maybe good for California but not the northeast.
GGEVOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2010, 12:51 AM   #10
Lesterh
Forum Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGEVOX View Post
I guess I'm the only one who ever thought the stock tires completely sucked. I don't know why everybody praises them. They lasted 5k miles, they were loud as hell, and traction sucked on PA roads. Maybe good for California but not the northeast.
I thought they were pretty amazing actually and I'm in PA. NT05's might have more maximum grip, but the Yokos are by far the most responsive I've driven on.

"When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy."
-General Tommy Franks
Lesterh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement