Tire Questions - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Wheels, Suspension & Brakes
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Wheels, Suspension & Brakes General discussion for wheels, tires, brakes, and suspension topics that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.
Sponsored by:
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2009, 03:33 AM   #1
nystc23
[Local Team Member]

Tire Questions

First-off, I apologize for sounding like an idiot at any point here.

Now that I got that out of the way, I believe my tire tread is starting to get low. I am 100% stock, have 11,700+ miles (mostly highway & no track miles). I rotated my tires about 1,300miles ago (I thought 10k was the right number, but after reading a bit on here I found it was supposed to be rotated at 5k .. my bad .. ). If I take a hard-ish turn, I can feel the car slip a little (this only recently started to happen & needless to say, I am not taking turns as hard anymore).

So my questions are:
1. On Average, how many miles should the stock tires get? (Am I being paranoid about the slipping/is it normal?)
2. Other than stock, what would be a good tire to get? I am looking for something that I can run year-round (I live/work in New York & travel to/from Maryland often, so I need something that will work in snow and heat).

I am looking to get the best tire for the least amount of money. Any suggestions will be appreciated. If anyone has new/like-new tires they are selling, I would consider those as well..

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Local Team: Empire Evolution
Sponsored By:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

and
RICKERMAN TUNING
nystc23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2009, 04:30 AM   #2
Danny
Just Spooling Up

I'm approaching 5k miles on my stock advans and the fronts are almost half worn. These tires aren't meant to last long. The slipping may also come from the colder temps.

Find a tire that comes with a long mileage warranty. Check the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S plus, although it may be out of your price range at close to 250/each. The Bridgestone RE960AS is a good cheaper alternative. Along with the BFG Super Sport A/S.

Don't buy used tires. They may look good tread wise, but you don't know the history of the tire.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2009, 04:41 PM   #3
RallyCanada

I have also felt the tires slipping, and mine are done as of last night (drove over a nasty chunk of sheetmetal and hisssssssed the tire to death). They are at the wear bars, and grip has taken a noticable hit. These are probably the fastest wearing street tires I have ever had, and if you are smart and go with something different with your next set, I think you will find much better wear.
RallyCanada is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 05:26 PM   #4
dakoop
Forum Lackey

Stock tires will wear quickly. Get a tread mesurement on the tires. That is the best way to tell how much life is left.
dakoop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
dcasandman
Forum Addict

I pushed mine at 14k, but realy could have changed them at 10 k

dcasandman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2009, 06:04 PM   #6
Riz5
Just Spooling Up

My tires were worn out at 13k. My car is completely stock and I just did some spirited driving. But, if you plan on keeping the stock rims then I would recommend the Nitto NT-05, I have them and are really impressed with them. I really don't know if they are good for the winter time though.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:47 PM   #7
Scooter
Forum Addict

The tires on the wife X MR are at 14K and ready to die. I'm getting Dunlop Direzza Z-1 Star Specs... but I don't see any snow down here.

To the OP if you live in New York you are either going to need an all season (NYC) or winter tires (the rest of the state). For all season I have heard good things about the Goodyear Eagle GT. Don't know shiet about winter tires though.

-
Our little Swiss Army Knives on 4 wheels...
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car
and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall,
torque is how far you take the wall with you." --Anonymous
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2009, 11:55 PM   #8
boostsaves
Forum Lackey

My oem advans are beasting it at 17k right now, but i feel if I drive them any longer I will go off the road and die in a fire.

The best "winter" tire i have come across is the Hanook Ice Bear at $193 a pop shipped they aren't too bad on the wallet either. My other alt tire would be the Bridgestone Blizzak.

As for a Good all season a lot of the tires discussed here are great choices. I feel that the Continental ExtremeContact DWS are a great tire for the money. They have placed 2nd in tireracks all season review, and at 145 a tire with a 50k mile warranty they hit the price/performance demand right on the nose. My alt all season tire that would be my second choice is the Yokohama avid w4s

X MR
: Ssp-Ams-Iveytune-Xtremeboost-Speed Circuit-Swift-Rexpeed-Apr-Touge-Ray's Engineering-Yokohama-Deatschwerks-Walbro-Forced Performance-Kelford-Ralliart-Aem-Project kics-Rally Armor-HKS-Test & Service-Steedspeed-Tial

Last edited by boostsaves; 09-14-2009 at 11:59 PM.
boostsaves is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2009, 12:12 AM   #9
Malves85
[Local Team Member]

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=3
I got these for the winter on a set of cheap rims. You will need some good winters in ny especially if you are upstate. I would say under 30-40 degrees the stock tires dont like to grip. And by rotating tires for the season it will seem like they last twice as long!

Malves85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2009, 12:15 AM   #10
boostsaves
Forum Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malves85 View Post
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=3
I got these for the winter on a set of cheap rims. You will need some good winters in ny especially if you are upstate. I would say under 30-40 degrees the stock tires dont like to grip. And by rotating tires for the season it will seem like they last twice as long!
Driving on Summer only A13C tires in the winter, or low temp weather is a saftey hazard.

X MR
: Ssp-Ams-Iveytune-Xtremeboost-Speed Circuit-Swift-Rexpeed-Apr-Touge-Ray's Engineering-Yokohama-Deatschwerks-Walbro-Forced Performance-Kelford-Ralliart-Aem-Project kics-Rally Armor-HKS-Test & Service-Steedspeed-Tial
boostsaves is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement