Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Evo X gas mileage?

65K views 242 replies 163 participants last post by  Metal_AF 
#1 ·
I know we don't buy our Evos for gas mileage, but I was curious what everyone is getting. I'm also curious about the gains you get with different mods. Free flowing exhaust, intake, chip, or whatever else seems to help. And, if anyone knows what speed gets them the best fuel economy, I'm interested to know that, too.

I've calculated my gas mileage a few times (dividing the miles by the gallons to refill it), and I've come up with about 23.2miles/gallon for my 5-speed GSR. Better than the EPA rating, but not by much.

I know the owners manual says to go 50mph whenever possible, but if the indicator on the dashboard screen can be believed, my gas mileage STINKS from 50 to 55. There are a few sweet spots in the speed range...one at about 64mph, one a little below 70mph...the best seems to be 44mph. Just like my Nissans, it's the most efficient going as slow as it can in the highest gear. Some of the back roads of FL let me drive that speed when I feel like stopping to "smell the roses."

I've also input my miles and gallons on www.gasaroo.com, and got the same mpg result.

If a $600 computer were to give me an extra 2mpg, a little math tells me it would pay for itself in about 1200 miles.

See less See more
#32 ·
I shift mine pretty consistently at 3000rpm, and my long-term average is about 23.5mpg. The display will show up to 26mpg on the two-lane 55mph zones, but there's usually some traffic or a stoplight to bring down the average.

My wife shifts anywhere from 2k to 3.5k, so I know you can shift at 2k.

#37 ·
this is true if you don't have to go every 4 days :( I seem to be averaging about 14.5 mpg city, average speed around 40mph. I got a lot of stop and go on the back roads.

I am going to try some different things to get the mileage up. About how much reserve is there in out gas tanks? it is a 14.5 gal tank total.

#41 · (Edited)
i am very upset with my gas mileage. I don't even have 500 miles on my car yet. SO what do you see for total miles when u are gonna fill up and about what is your average fro gallons filled at the pump? I have let it go as low as 11.4 gallons to fill. Can't wait to take a road trip to see what I can average on the highway.

I drove a 04 Subaru WRX for about 4 years before this EVO and it had a bigger turbo pro tune and got about 5mpg more. My window sticker does say 16mpg city and 22 mpg hgwy

#42 ·
The digital display is REALLY optimistic about the mileage.
I use the trip odo and have been checking at fill-ups.
17MPG - period.
But it's Winter and I have under 6k on the car.

#53 ·
I get around 15mpg, all backroads to work (4 miles each way per day = 8 miles a day). Had the car for four days - need to fill up on the way into work tomorrow morning. Over the weekend - Saturday and Sunday - did a lot of highway driving. I've put about 170 miles on it since taking delivery with a full tank, and I've had a few mildly spirited accelerations. I have about 20-30 miles left on the tank...so figure almost 200 miles to the tank.

My Audi TT 225hp, for comparison, got me about 300 miles to the tank, on the same roads. So I fill up 33% more often...I can live with that :)

#54 ·
Did an experiment. I drove with the flow of traffic. Half highway, half stop and go. No F1 starts, no punching it to hit a gap in traffic...no "hypermiling" just drove like a normal person. 23MPG.

Same drive, drove more aggresively, did more lane changes, accelerated to ahead in a couple of places....18.5MPG...and shaved off a total of 2 mins of on a 30 min drive.

Wife's legacy on same drive....22mpg

Bottome line, it is how you drive. No reason to be in race mode in morning traffic and the milage takes care of itself.

Save the 15mpg driving for weekend trips though the back roads, track or canyons (depending on where you live).

#55 ·
In my new Evo X which I've had for a little more than a week, I got a hair under 19mpg. My driving was pretty much all in city and I couldn't help but romp on the engine! I still kept the rpm under 5k, just because I know the clutch needs to be broken in. I think my gas milage will stay this way for a little while, until I am over the excitement of revving the engine up just for giggles. I'm sure when I start driving the car normally, I will be in the low 20's.

My 06 Lancer ES usually got me milage in the mid to high 20's. I'll take the 5-8mpg drop for the performance of the X any day. It's a no-brainer.

#57 ·
I really don't know how you guys get into the 20's..must be driving on the highway...I'm ALL city driving and get 160 miles inbetween fill-ups(12 gallons)...so thats about 13 miles to the gallon....I dont drive like a grandma but i also don't drive like F1 driver....

#66 · (Edited)
I really don't know how you guys get into the 20's..must be driving on the highway...
I don't think the highway helps all that much. I noticed where the manual says to drive 50mph any time you get the chance.

I think the (5-speed) GSR is geared really short, with no consideration for American highways. At 70mph my GSR is turning well over 3000rpm, and the gas mileage isn't as good as when I'm cruising down a 2-lane country road 45-60mph.

I get my best gas mileage when I'm relaxed and cruising around without having to stop or accelerate.

#58 · (Edited)
^Whaa? 13mpg is ridiculously low. The way I drove my car wasn't crazy, but I also wasn't easy on it and I still got 19mpg. Not that it should matter much, but do you have a GSR or MR?

**EDIT** Just to add to this post. I only went on the freeway twice on my last tank and it was for a short distance.

**EDIT AGAIN** My gf has an MR and she drives very aggressively. She still gets 17mpg!

#60 ·
^Whaa? 13mpg is ridiculously low. The way I drove my car wasn't crazy, but I also wasn't easy on it and I still got 19mpg. Not that it should matter much, but do you have a GSR or MR?

**EDIT** Just to add to this post. I only went on the freeway twice on my last tank and it was for a short distance.

**EDIT AGAIN** My gf has an MR and she drives very aggressively. She still gets 17mpg!
GSR....sticker says 16city I think....

highest in city i got was 19 and the most in highway is 22. i guess its because i cruise at 80mph. here in ny everyone with any car drives fast lol
I hear ya, it's the same way down here..I have gotten it up to 19 and in the 20's but that's when the highway is involved and when I drive like I own one of those smart cars....lol

#67 ·
I finally took my GSR to an autocross yesterday, and after about 12 runs on this nifty 64-second course, my average gas mileage for the day was 16.99mpg.

Of course, this calculation was an afterthought. While I was on the course, I was thinking things like, "WheeeeCRAP THOSE CONES ARE COMING UP FAST!" :eek2:

#69 ·
I finally took my GSR to an autocross yesterday, and after about 12 runs on this nifty 64-second course, my average gas mileage for the day was 16.99mpg.

Of course, this calculation was an afterthought. While I was on the course, I was thinking things like, "WheeeeCRAP THOSE CONES ARE COMING UP FAST!" :eek2:

I live the quote that is awsome. Oh yeah i havent calculated my mpg but im about mabey 60% highway i get about 230 mptank before my cars fuel guage drops to just dashes

#68 ·
When i drove to Maryland from New York a few weeks ago. I got about 280 miles out of a tank of 93 octane. If I remember correctly, i was averagin about 25 mpg.

I average about 15mpg around town.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.