Need some advice on what turbo to get - Page 4 - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Turbo
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Turbo Discussion for turbo systems that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:50 AM   #31
LeesEvoX
Forum Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyEvoX View Post
Yes well most of my build changed. Originally I was trying to be on the tightest budget so he was working with that to get me 500whp so we were gonna do an FP Black but after how many other parts I really needed I said I might as well go T3. Then after extensive research found EFR to be the best and has much quicker spool traits and I was worried about spool since I'm coming from a stock turbo. Then I was asking him about getting cams but he kinda talked me out of it because he still thought I was on a budget but now I understand and will be getting cams and springs, then no more lol

The reason I went with the 8374 is because I didn't want to push the turbo to it's max to get the power. What I was really looking for was in-between the 7670 & 8374. Also I am capable of running e85 but I'm starting to not want to have to use it because I feel it will be a PITA so I think I can hit 600 even on pump with this turbo. Besides it's definitely better than a 6266 which is what my tuner recommended me to get.

Btw all these HP numbers my tuner and I discussed are for HIS dyno which is a mustang dyno. So he knows what power different turbos will make on it (ex. 5858 - 93 - 470) which is why he suggested the 6266. So I'd like to break 500 on his dyno and 600 with e85 if necessary
That's the beauty of the flex fuel set up. You can run it on E85 or pump, or anything in between!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
2013 PB Evo X GSR- Kozmic Built 2.0l (stock Sleeves) Kelford 214-b cams/Brian Crower titanium springs & retainers/ Wiseco forged pistons/Manley TT forged Rods/ETS Tubular Manifold/ETS Intake W/ Custom 3.5" MAF/ETS 4" IC/ETS UICP/Synapse DV/ID2000's
and a GTX3576R
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tuned by Kozmic @ 500awhp & 365tq (E85)
Blown Ringlands, Its what makes Subaru, a Subaru
LeesEvoX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2018, 06:13 AM   #32
Dj Eclipse

I am interested to see how you do on this set up once you get on the dyno. There are so many options and the pulling the trigger on something is a tough choice as if you are not happy with your initial choice (t3, T4, T4 twin scroll, vband, stock frame) you are stuck with future turbo options based on what you initially picked.

I am going through the same process where I started out looking to buy stock frame GTX3576R as people seem to make good HP on the 2L with good spool.

But by the time you buy the downpipe/ o2, turbo, exhaust manifold & intake (my stock one is starting to crack) you are pretty close to the cost of a kit with headers.

My goal for now would be 500HP mustang dyno on 93 octane (E85 isn't easy to get where I am). This goal may be a little optimistic I know this, I am on the stock block and top end so torque will have to be kept in check. I want to do things in progression, enjoy it, get used to it for a summer and add to it over the winter. Id like to run the new turbo set up this coming summer and then add cams the following winter.

Most of the driving will be on the street with the occasional 1/4mile, (I would like to see 11.5 at a decent MPH (GSR) and maybe a road course track day so I don't want some super laggy turbo only making power after 5k. I will be stock block and head for now so I won't be able to rev it out high enough.

From what I have read the precision turbo's may have oil issues (some don't), same as the GTX, oil restrictors seem to help this for the GTX.

The Precision 5858 and higher seem to be laggier.

The GTX3576r seems to be the best in regards to spool and making HP making it the perfect choice except for the fact that if you want to go bigger in the future you will have to sell all the stock frame stuff and buy a kit at that time.

I would love to be able to ride or drive each of these set up's and feel what the lag/ hp/ power band is like and then decide what set up I like but that's not an option. Maybe the lag on the 5858 or even 6262 isn't bad at all...

Buying a kit now would be the smarter thing to do.

From what I have researched this leaves the EFR 7076 and 8374 for the spool and HP characteristics I want (and OP seems to want as well). The kits are the most expensive unfortunately with the T4TS

The 7076 seems to be like the GTX3576 but maybe even makes less hp up top?

The 3874 seems to make good power but how laggy will it be?

I guess the OP will find out soon, but can anyone that has driven either of these turbo's elaborate please?

Thank you,

Last edited by Dj Eclipse; 10-13-2018 at 06:21 AM.
Dj Eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2018, 02:22 PM   #33
MannyEvoX
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Eclipse View Post
I am interested to see how you do on this set up once you get on the dyno. There are so many options and the pulling the trigger on something is a tough choice as if you are not happy with your initial choice (t3, T4, T4 twin scroll, vband, stock frame) you are stuck with future turbo options based on what you initially picked.

I am going through the same process where I started out looking to buy stock frame GTX3576R as people seem to make good HP on the 2L with good spool.

But by the time you buy the downpipe/ o2, turbo, exhaust manifold & intake (my stock one is starting to crack) you are pretty close to the cost of a kit with headers.

My goal for now would be 500HP mustang dyno on 93 octane (E85 isn't easy to get where I am). This goal may be a little optimistic I know this, I am on the stock block and top end so torque will have to be kept in check. I want to do things in progression, enjoy it, get used to it for a summer and add to it over the winter. Id like to run the new turbo set up this coming summer and then add cams the following winter.

Most of the driving will be on the street with the occasional 1/4mile, (I would like to see 11.5 at a decent MPH (GSR) and maybe a road course track day so I don't want some super laggy turbo only making power after 5k. I will be stock block and head for now so I won't be able to rev it out high enough.

From what I have read the precision turbo's may have oil issues (some don't), same as the GTX, oil restrictors seem to help this for the GTX.

The GTX3576r seems to be the best in regards to spool and making HP making it the perfect choice except for the fact that if you want to go bigger in the future you will have to sell all the stock frame stuff and buy a kit at that time.

I would love to be able to ride or drive each of these set up's and feel what the lag/ hp/ power band is like and then decide what set up I like but that's not an option. Maybe the lag on the 5858 or even 6262 isn't bad at all...

Buying a kit now would be the smarter thing to do.

From what I have researched this leaves the EFR 7076 and 8374 for the spool and HP characteristics I want (and OP seems to want as well). The kits are the most expensive unfortunately with the T4TS

I guess the OP will find out soon, but can anyone that has driven either of these turbo's elaborate please?

Thank you,
It's so tough right! The thing I've worried about most is after all the money I just spent will I be happy with my choice or will I regret it and wish I got a different turbo. I definitely believe I got the best kit for the X and I spent a little more money with the EFR but it honestly in the grand scheme of things is nothing! Totally worth it in my opinion! One thing you have to think about with these turbos is how they feel on the street. A lot of people post comparisons and sometimes it doesn't look too much different on the graph but when they compare how it feels on the street, that's when they praise the EFR's for how well they spool and feel which you can't see on the dyno.

So I would suggest to you to just spend the extra on that now if you want the best for your X. The hardest decision for me was between the 7670 or 8374 tho. I really was looking for a turbo right in the middle! I've heard so many good things about both of them but I was worried that I might get tired of the power 7670 is good for (highest whp on a dynojet: 540 on 93 & 600+ on e85) and that as pushing that turbo to the max! So on a mustang dyno that would convert to 437whp on 93 if we used a 15% loss (not sure if accurate) so it was just a little too small for me.

The downside of the 8374 is the loss of spool and so I was worried about how bad it would be and that's why I considered the 7670 because everyone LOVED it for the street. But what I like about the 8374 is that I don't need to max it out to make the power I want. Also it would just be easier to just stay on 93 if I can still make the power I want and I believe this turbo is capable. Also the spool is MUCH better than a 6266 and if you read posts from "Black E" he tells you his set up was a 5858 and he went to a 8374 and he said it felt more responsive as if he had a stroker! That was a huge selling point! My tuner said a 5858 on pump makes 470whp on his MD, so the 8374 I'm hoping to make 100whp more and still have better spool! That's amazing!

Go look up his videos on youtube "justa2l" and watch him smoke everything with his EFR 8374 and then 9174. He left a Mclaren mp4-12c in the dust! My dream car is a Mclaren 720s and I really think his car would beat it even when he had his 8374 turbo on his car.

I'm pretty confident in the choices I've made in this build. I will definitely post dyno results and give my honest opinion, pros and cons of the setup and hopefully that'll help anyone with this stressful decision to make

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EFR 8374 + Build in progres. . .
ETS Intake
AGP Dual Exhaust
MAP UICP
QTP Test Pipe (w/cut out)
Depo 4' IC
Grimmspeed EBCS
HKS BOV
Comp stage 3 clutch

Last edited by MannyEvoX; 10-13-2018 at 02:50 PM.
MannyEvoX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 03:05 PM   #34
MannyEvoX
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeesEvoX View Post
That's the beauty of the flex fuel set up. You can run it on E85 or pump, or anything in between!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Can you tell me more about it? I thought you can only run purely pump or e85, not a mix. What would you need other than injectors and fuel pump? Can you still do pulls while on a mix or you need to not go in boost?

ETS Intake
AGP Dual Exhaust
MAP UICP
Depo 4' IC
Grimmspeed EBCS
HKS BOV
Comp stage 3 clutch
Old 10-13-2018, 04:35 PM   #35
Metal_AF
Just Spooling Up

Quote:

Thank you,
I run an EFR9174 and the thing is an animal. Full boost by 4800 rpm, and rev out past 8k. Launch control gets you outside of the "laggy" range and it makes power all the way out to 8500. Powerband is wider than OEM, so its easy to stay in. Even tuned for a weak 21psi gets me 490 WHP MD/ 540WHP DJ.

Quote:
Can you tell me more about it? I thought you can only run purely pump or e85, not a mix. What would you need other than injectors and fuel pump? Can you still do pulls while on a mix or you need to not go in boost?
On a flex fuel system, you can have 91 and e85 in the tank at the same time. The kits come with an ethanol content analyzer and the tune does the rest.

Lots of kits out there for this, just make sure its flex and not strictly e85.
Metal_AF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2018, 05:36 PM   #36
razorlab

Quote:

The GTX3576R is laggier than the 5858.

5858 and GTX3076R are comparable in the spool department. Both hit 28psi peak at approx 4500-4600rpm in 3rd gear and approx 4100rpm in 4th gear.

The difference is the 5858 will easily hold that 28psi all the way out to 8800rpm and still be efficient because of less back pressure, and doesn't compressor surge like the GTX3076/3576R do. (Although the Gen 2's are much better now)

I believe somebody else in the thread stated that turbos aren't all about the graphs, it's how they drive on the street as well. I've been very impressed by the 5858 on a well setup car. It's way more responsive than people think.

Last edited by razorlab; 10-13-2018 at 05:38 PM.
razorlab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2018, 08:17 PM   #37
Jimmy636

I wanted similar power goals for my daily, and was torn between the 7670 and 8374 too. I went on the recommendation of CBRD to get the larger 8374.

Stock block and heads made 460whp at 23psi with 93 pump on a MD with the 8374, and it was an absolute blast to drive everywhere. Took a few days to adjust to keeping the rpms a little more to the right but once I did it was just ridiculous amounts of fun. I would personally consider the turbo to be pretty responsive, and wouldn't think twice about tossing another one into the next car.
ETS\\Work\\Varis\\Satus\\TommyKaira\\

Jimmy636 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2018, 08:35 PM   #38
Dj Eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy636 View Post
I wanted similar power goals for my daily, and was torn between the 7670 and 8374 too. I went on the recommendation of CBRD to get the larger 8374.

Stock block and heads made 460whp at 23psi with 93 pump on a MD with the 8374, and it was an absolute blast to drive everywhere. Took a few days to adjust to keeping the rpms a little more to the right but once I did it was just ridiculous amounts of fun. I would personally consider the turbo to be pretty responsive, and wouldn't think twice about tossing another one into the next car.
What a/r did you have for the 8374? Also internal or external WG?

What bboost were you running and what rpm did you hit full boost in 3rd and 4th with the 8374?

It seems as though the 8374 is a good option.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:54 PM   #39
MannyEvoX
Just Spooling Up

To everyone, thank you for all the replies, input and great info!

I'm curious to know what cars anybody has raced with their turbo set up and how close it was. I'm assuming on my soon to be 500+whp 8374 setup I will be able to beat almost any new stock car. If I could beat a Hellcat or C7 Z06 that would be reeeeeally cool. I'm curious to see what cars have compared to everyones setup whether it be out in Mexico or at the track.

(my ultimate goal would be have an evo that could beat a Mclaren 570s or even better a 720s in a roll race) From races I've seen it looks like it would take probably a 700whp X just to beat a 570s so that will be a goal one day.

I'm thinking for the next mod (at some point down the line) I'd like to change the final drive. I think that's a big downside for the GSR that you have to stop at the top of 4th which is around 120mph. Has anybody done this or have any recommendations or estimate on how much something like that would cost?

ETS Intake
AGP Dual Exhaust
MAP UICP
Depo 4' IC
Grimmspeed EBCS
HKS BOV
Comp stage 3 clutch
Old 10-14-2018, 04:59 AM   #40
Dj Eclipse

Quote:
It's so tough right! The thing I've worried about most is after all the money I just spent will I be happy with my choice or will I regret it and wish I got a different turbo. I definitely believe I got the best kit for the X and I spent a little more money with the EFR but it honestly in the grand scheme of things is nothing! Totally worth it in my opinion! One thing you have to think about with these turbos is how they feel on the street. A lot of people post comparisons and sometimes it doesn't look too much different on the graph but when they compare how it feels on the street, that's when they praise the EFR's for how well they spool and feel which you can't see on the dyno.
1st. Sorry for jacking your thread but we seem to be looking for the same thing (except you are going full built motor so will be able to enjoy extra torque) so i figured may as well have all the info in one thread instead of starting my own.

I think after all the reading I came to the same conclusion, the EFR is the way to go, it's just between the7076 and 8374.

Quote:

So I would suggest to you to just spend the extra on that now if you want the best for your X. The hardest decision for me was between the 7670 or 8374 tho. I really was looking for a turbo right in the middle! I've heard so many good things about both of them but I was worried that I might get tired of the power 7670 is good for (highest whp on a dynojet: 540 on 93 & 600+ on e85) and that as pushing that turbo to the max! So on a mustang dyno that would convert to 437whp on 93 if we used a 15% loss (not sure if accurate) so it was just a little too small for me.

The downside of the 8374 is the loss of spool and so I was worried about how bad it would be and that's why I considered the 7670 because everyone LOVED it for the street. But what I like about the 8374 is that I don't need to max it out to make the power I want. Also it would just be easier to just stay on 93 if I can still make the power I want and I believe this turbo is capable. Also the spool is MUCH better than a 6266 and if you read posts from "Black E" he tells you his set up was a 5858 and he went to a 8374 and he said it felt more responsive as if he had a stroker! That was a huge selling point! My tuner said a 5858 on pump makes 470whp on his MD, so the 8374 I'm hoping to make 100whp more and still have better spool! That's amazing!

Go look up his videos on youtube "justa2l" and watch him smoke everything with his EFR 8374 and then 9174. He left a Mclaren mp4-12c in the dust! My dream car is a Mclaren 720s and I really think his car would beat it even when he had his 8374 turbo on his car.

I'm pretty confident in the choices I've made in this build. I will definitely post dyno results and give my honest opinion, pros and cons of the setup and hopefully that'll help anyone with this stressful decision to make

I thought the 7670 was capable of 500 mustang.

I have see Black E's videos and am probably sold on the 8374. i also read that the internal wastegate .92ar helps with the spool without loosing too much on the top end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement