Ortiz steering column pod - Page 2 - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X General
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X General General discussion on the 2008+ Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X

Old 10-19-2018, 12:36 AM   #11
turismolover22
X-phile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Eclipse View Post
I would assume most of the price would be the time it takes and craftsmanship of making everything fit and look factory.

have you ever made the dual gauge pod gauge cluster?
I havent, no. That design was one that I was interested in making as it looks more factory than some of the other placements. But in the end I wasnt looking to remove any more visibility from my cluster than I have now. Construction wise, it does not look terribly difficult to do though.
turismolover22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2018, 05:15 AM   #12
Dj Eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by turismolover22 View Post
I havent, no. That design was one that I was interested in making as it looks more factory than some of the other placements. But in the end I wasnt looking to remove any more visibility from my cluster than I have now.
Looking at pics and videos it doesn't look to hinder any gauge viability. It seems to fill the empty space on both sides.

Quote:
Construction wise, it does not look terribly difficult to do though.
To me it looks very hard to make it look good and like stock.
Dj Eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2018, 09:37 PM   #13
turismolover22
X-phile

Quote:
Looking at pics and videos it doesn't look to hinder any gauge viability. It seems to fill the empty space on both sides.
You lose the functionality of the dimmer button as it is behind the right hand gauge. The left hand gauge covers up a portion of the Tach, but its around the 2500 mark or so on under last I remember photos of it. Maybe I'm imagining it covers more than it really does.

The other quip I had with their design is that it has a open back and even if no one can see that there are exposed wires, I would know and it would bother me

Old 10-21-2018, 03:57 AM   #14
Jimmy636

Quote:
Do you have pics of the install with everything covered up?

I like the Ortiz gauge cluster as it looks stock.

I have the A pillar dual gauge pod and don't like it at all as for me it seems to stick out and hinder viability when cornering tot he left.

Unfortunately no, the car was totaled before I snapped any interior shots with it done.

Not the best but, I found these at the link here in case you want to investigate further:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...solutions.html

Again not the best pic but, the first is the exact mount I used. The second is to give you an idea of the final product. Though pic 2 used a different mount it's very similar to what I saw from behind the wheel. I honestly think it looked about as OEM as the other options but there was no gamble with fitment.

ETS\\Work\\Varis\\Satus\\TommyKaira\\

Jimmy636 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2018, 06:23 AM   #15
Dj Eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by turismolover22 View Post
You lose the functionality of the dimmer button as it is behind the right hand gauge. The left hand gauge covers up a portion of the Tach, but its around the 2500 mark or so on under last I remember photos of it. Maybe I'm imagining it covers more than it really does.

The other quip I had with their design is that it has a open back and even if no one can see that there are exposed wires, I would know and it would bother me
I don't care about the dimmer switch but I do like to see the entire tach.

I think it would depend on your height and the angle you are looking at. It would be nice to see a proper straight on shot from eye level of someone sitting in the drivers seat.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:58 PM   #16
Splattj
Just Spooling Up

I think you can get a standard size gauge on either side without blocking the part of the OEM gauge you need to read. I have my boost gauge on the tacho side and it only blocks the dead space and some of the 8k+ RPM range. I can still see/reach the Info button without issue as well. I used a cravenspeed "Belmont" pod because it's a really well built piece with a minimal "foot" on it.
Top pic of basically what I see sitting (note the pod can be adjusted on a pivot based on your height/perspective) and the bottom pic for a better view of the pod.

Splattj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2018, 10:24 PM   #17
turismolover22
X-phile

Quote:
I don't care about the dimmer switch but I do like to see the entire tach.

I think it would depend on your height and the angle you are looking at. It would be nice to see a proper straight on shot from eye level of someone sitting in the drivers seat.
Ill see what I can come up with for you
Old 10-30-2018, 02:03 PM   #18
bruteevo

try 3d printing one in your local shop. you can pick the material, color and fine tune the fit and finish.
bruteevo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2018, 05:15 AM   #19
Dj Eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteevo View Post
try 3d printing one in your local shop. you can pick the material, color and fine tune the fit and finish.
I don't know of a local 3d printing shop. I guess that would be the way to go if someone took the time to take all the measurement's and put into can for 3d printing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement