Impressions after a month - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X General
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X General General discussion on the 2008+ Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X

Old 07-09-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
boxtoevo?
Just Spooling Up

Impressions after a month

I have had my RR GSR for about a month now (1200 miles). I got a great deal on the car from eric at Schumacher in WPB FL. I traded in an 02 Boxster S for the car, because new kid ='s need back seat.

The bad news
The quality of materials and build are, obviously, no where near the Porsche. The plastics, vinyls etc look and feel cheap. Still getting used to the size of the car. The Boxster seems tiny compared to the Evo's cockpit. Brakes don't seem as good as the Porsche (but that can be fixed easily). Car is a LOT thirstier than the Porsche and has a lot less trunk space (2 trunks in the boxster).

The good news
Car is a bunch quicker than the Boxster. I find the recaros more comfortable than the sport seats on the Box. The car's handling is amazing and MUCH easier to drive near the limits than the Porsche. I like having storage in the cockpit and real cup holders, which the Porsche lacks.

The Evo isn't as involving to drive, but I still think I am really going to like it. I am amazed how much car this is for less than $30K. Once I get the brakes sorted and get some springs, I will start looking at HP. For now I would like to take it to the track and some auto crosses before going crazy with adding power. The car has plenty off the shelf and is capable of a lot with out modding.

Another funny thing - this car gets a lot more atention than the Porsche. In the month since I have owned it, I have been stopped 10X more times and asked questions than the years I owned the Porsche. The other night at the local Pizza place, I was picking up an order. The kid running the lot gave me the VIP spot because the Evo is his favorite car. The guy in the Maserati Gran Tourismo who pulled in at the same time was pissed!
boxtoevo? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2009, 05:27 PM   #2
RR08EVOX
aka gg09gts

yup, get used to the attention
RR08EVOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2009, 05:30 PM   #3
TRUSTcompany9000
Forum Addict

Haha I'm glad it's turning out to be a good time for you! The attention that it get's really is phenominal, I am still suprised by some of the people that want to know about my car. Guys in Maserati's and Porsche's come up to me consistantly inquiring. I did try to get one of the guy's driving a Maserati to trade me cars, I think I almost had him! Well, at least in my mind it was close lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Get a How-To submitted
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Get in on our Monthly Contests right
TRUSTcompany9000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 05:45 PM   #4
DVDee
X-phile

I just had an old man with a nice mercedes stop and tell me how nice my car was while at walmart. He seems to have known a lot about Evo's. Right after him I had another old man in a civic go nuts once he saw my car. Once at the stop light he proceeded to tell me how nice it looks and how aggressive and scary it looks when it comes up behind you.

-------------------------
Performance Mods: Nisei UIP - Ecutek Tune by Dynoflash @ ICS Performance Dynojet - Forge WGA - Forge Unos MBC - Cobb Quad Exhaust - Cobb HFC - TechnaFit SS Brake lines - Ferodo DS2500 Pads - DBA 4000 FR Rotors - ACT Heavy duty clutch and flywheel
Interior Mods: Defi White Racer Gauge - AEM UEGO WideBand
Exterior Mods: 20% Tints all around - Faux CF wing inserts
DVDee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2009, 05:51 PM   #5
ripnbst
Forum Lackey

You should look into getting a tune before adding more power also. Well, I mean getting a tune will net you more power but to make the car less thirsty. Its a simple mod that nets nice gains across the powerband and you dont have to really add any parts.
ripnbst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2009, 06:40 PM   #6
ak47m203
Dr. Evo?

attention.... to key your car from haters...... hopefully not for you,
ak47m203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2009, 06:50 PM   #7
boxtoevo?
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripnbst View Post
You should look into getting a tune before adding more power also. Well, I mean getting a tune will net you more power but to make the car less thirsty. Its a simple mod that nets nice gains across the powerband and you dont have to really add any parts.
I was thinking it was so thirsty because it was still in the break-in period.

I haven't serched and I am sure there are lots of threads about it - but which tunes can use with stock parts that won't screw the warranty?

One of my buddies bought the Vishnu tune and his car pukes every time he takes it to the track.
boxtoevo? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2009, 06:53 PM   #8
RR08EVOX
aka gg09gts

tune will void the warranty, sucks, wish i could get a tune, oh well K&N filter gives me 1-2mpg better in city and highway
RR08EVOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2009, 06:53 PM   #9
TRUSTcompany9000
Forum Addict

Personally I'd look into either getting the Cobb AcessPort or doing something like SpeedCircuit's mail in tune. They both accomodate stock cars very well.

Or if you are close to a good tuning shop, stop by and pay them a visit, as getting a custom tune on your individual car is always going to be best.

Get a How-To submitted

Get in on our Monthly Contests right
TRUSTcompany9000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2009, 07:11 PM   #10
SiliconTek
Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak47m203 View Post
attention.... to key your car from haters...... hopefully not for you,
God, I hope not. I think my head would blow off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.
SiliconTek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement