Money or happiness? Job related - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Community > Off topic
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Off topic Forum for generic banter

Old 05-05-2014, 05:35 AM   #1
butters149
Just Spooling Up

Money or happiness? Job related

I currently work at a job that is pretty chill, everyone there is cool, no stress. The only problem is that it is about 22 miles one way with traffic on the 10 fwy in california AND the pay is ok (55-60).

My old manager recently got a position as a manager and is recruiting me hard. The pay is higher, maybe like 7-8k plus OT and closer, about 12 miles. But I think there might be more involved work. She is inviting me to her workplace tomorrow to show me around.

Any opinion? Comes down to money vs happiness I guess?
butters149 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2014, 05:41 AM   #2
surensm
Forum Lackey

for me happiness would be less driving and more money. You'll be saving more in gas AND making more? I say go for it

The extra work will just prevent you from being bored if anything, I would easily take it
2002 Porsche 911 996 Carrera - Daily
surensm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 05:41 AM   #3
on2it
Dr. Evo?

How about both? are you certain its an either or Or statement?

If its an old manager then they know how you work, maybe set expectations of what you would like to keep you happy. 7K+ in the pocket is a lot to give up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current|HKS UICP|HKS Filter|HKS racing suction pipe kit|Modified Stock Exhaust|EcuTek FQ360 tune|ETS 3.5FMIC|Swift Springs|ACT ME-HDSS|ACT Streetlite Flywheel|
Installing
|FIC 1100cc injectors|K27 Surgetank kit+ Bosch044|
To Come
|BB FPGreen|Kelford Cams|Perrin3port|Perrin Bov|Tomei FPRegulator |Tomei FP guage|
on2it is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 05:43 AM   #4
808Evol

Quote:
Originally Posted by butters149 View Post
I currently work at a job that is pretty chill, everyone there is cool, no stress. The only problem is that it is about 22 miles one way with traffic on the 10 fwy in california AND the pay is ok (55-60).

My old manager recently got a position as a manager and is recruiting me hard. The pay is higher, maybe like 7-8k plus OT and closer, about 12 miles. But I think there might be more involved work. She is inviting me to her workplace tomorrow to show me around.

Any opinion? Comes down to money vs happiness I guess?
Only way is up! Never back track or stay constant. But that's just me. And why you gotta choose between the two?? Why not have both?
808Evol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 05:51 AM   #5
butters149
Just Spooling Up

i forgot its also shorter working hours at the new place, also OT will be putting me easily over 70k/year.

The other issue is that my current co-worker is really into self-development (something I was never really exposed to or cared) and I have only been working there since January. I am a very ethical person and would feel bad for leaving after just 4-5 months.

Last edited by butters149; 05-05-2014 at 05:57 AM.
butters149 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 06:18 AM   #6
one4
n00b

I would personally go for the more money, shorter drive, and better hours. Even if you feel bad now you will be happy in the end. Seems like there are more pros than cons by switching places. You should take the risk and go to the new place. I hate the 10 traffic btw.. lol. I used to work in east LA and would have to do jobs in santa monica all the time. No fun.
one4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 06:31 AM   #7
Madmartigan
Banned

Money buys happiness. Anyone who tells you differently never fucking had any!

(Paraphrasing Boiler Room)
Madmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 07:16 AM   #8
BAM_HUSQVARNA

^ What all those dudes above said...

You'd be mad to pass up that opportunity. And there's nothing unethical about leaving a place of work after five (5) months; just be honest with your current employer and explain why you're leaving. And Manager worth their salt will happily understand and wish you all the best...
BAM_HUSQVARNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 08:16 AM   #9
Steve-o
Forum Lackey

They will offer you more money if they want you to stay once you put your 2 week notice in.
UR Catback, Mode Short Throw, RPF-1 18x9.5
Underhood, Base, Driveshaft, 5-gate selector bushings
F&R Girodisc 2 piece rotors, Cobb 3 port & AP, Front MM
AL driveshaft, Chris Carbee Tuned 341whp/344wtq on Dynocom - 3325lbs with 1/2 tank -
Steve-o is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 12:36 PM   #10
Leon.D
Just Spooling Up

Depends on where you are on with your career, if your at a point where your comfortable and want to stay the same level then go with the more money. Even if its more stressful, that's quiet a pay hike with the bonus of less daily commute.

But if your looking to move up the ladder to a higher position in the future, I would pick/stay with the job that gives you the most experience towards your end goal regardless of money.
Leon.D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement