First tracktime, first impressions - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Racing > Track
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Track Discussion for track driving techniques, events and results.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:17 PM   #1
on2it
Dr. Evo?

First tracktime, first impressions

Really quick write up before I go to work. I'll fill in more details later as they come to mind.

I spent about 40 minutes on the track yesterday really getting to know the X.
  • First thing I noticed was the sharp turning ability, it was poetry.
  • 2nd was the brakes.. it scrubbed speed hard (real hard) from 200kms down.. no real brake fade after 10 laps at a time.. although I could feel some coming on.
  • On corners especially castrol corner it was the rear wheel biased, I could slipped out the back a couple of times before the SAWC stuck in.
  • I could only four wheel drift for a couple of seconds before the car recovered itself.
  • Oh and half way down the track I would hit 200Km/hr and boost would drop and I couldn't get above 200kms.. I would guess that its speed limited, I will check with the dealer about this. It needs to be removed as the car had still a little bit to go before the redline.
  • Handling I felt too high on corners, so might need to stiffen the suspension a bit and certainly lower the car.. although I do like the factory ride on the streets.. perhaps some adjustables..
  • Steering felt light at high speeds over 150km/hr (I didn't like it at all), especially when approaching slight corners.
  • Traction was excellent in most places, even when hitting the rumble strips..the dashboard lights up like a Christmas tree when hitting corners and sliding.. NOTE I didn't turn off any of the SAWC systems.. (thats for next time)
  • I kept up with the Rs4 and Rs8 easily through the track until I hit 200km/hr limit
  • No overheating problems, brake disks and pads were fine, engine performed great.. Actually the engined sounded really good at high revs.. power was a little light around redline
  • Fuel consuption dropped to 4.5.. went to the track with 3/4 full tank, after 40 minutes came back with nothing in the tank and the warning lights on. I forgot to check the average speed.
I know know better for next time what to record, but I was very focused on feeling the car itself rather than the rest. Good quick sortie.

I came off the track thinking, drop the ride height, get rid of the speed cut.. and just 'another' 100HP and the car would be perfect for a couple of track days a year.

Heres the track:

I unfortunatley didnt get to record my times, too busy working out the evo.. and the wife didnt come with me to take photos of the evo on the track
But here are some static ones, there were only 4 cars on the track so we could play.. here are the other two that were tracking with me (Audi Rs8, Audi Rs4.. the stradale that was supposed to come as well didnt:

Official track records:
Formula Ford Shannon O'Brien, April 2005, Van Diemen RF03 1:01.909 MINI Challenge Peter Scharmach, November 2006, MINI Cooper 1:08.804 Porsche GT3 Cup Matt Halliday, November 2007, Porsche 997 GT3 0:57.937 Production Racing Logan Childs, November 2007, Mitsubishi EVO 9 1:05.882 Toyota Racing Series Daniel Gaunt, November 2006, Toyota Tatuus 104ZZ 0:54.692 V8s Angus Fogg, April 2006, Ford Falcon BA 1:01.313 V8s Development Series Peter Butler, December 2006, Ford Falcon BA 1:04.623

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current|HKS UICP|HKS Filter|HKS racing suction pipe kit|Modified Stock Exhaust|EcuTek FQ360 tune|ETS 3.5FMIC|Swift Springs|ACT ME-HDSS|ACT Streetlite Flywheel|
Installing
|FIC 1100cc injectors|K27 Surgetank kit+ Bosch044|
To Come
|BB FPGreen|Kelford Cams|Perrin3port|Perrin Bov|Tomei FPRegulator |Tomei FP guage|
on2it is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2008, 09:13 PM   #2
Tvall13
Just Spooling Up

Good review, but 200km/h seems pretty low I hope it's not limited that low for the U.S. specs. Let us know what the dealer says about it.
Tvall13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2008, 10:30 PM   #3
SiC
Just Spooling Up

Great report, I wish I lived close to a track to test out my Evo.

BTW, have you heard of the hidden ASC mode? Normally if you hit the ASC button, you'll see ASC OFF come on the dash. Press it again and ASC is back on. There is a hidden mode where if you press the ASC button for 3 seconds it will shut it down. On the dash you'll see a slip warning mark and a "!".
Here's a simple explanation of the different modes:
ASC ON: The ASC system will control brakes and throttle to control any slip.
ASC OFF: The ASC system will only control the brakes during slip.
ASC ALL OFF: The ASC system is shut down, brakes and throttle are free
There has been alot of reports that shutting down the ASC can shave off about 2-3 seconds of lap time on an average 1 min run short track even for novice drivers.

Also you may want to try shifting the settings of the S-AWC. Magazines are reporting that intermediate to expert drivers may want to shift the S-AWC settings in between corners. Tarmac mode will give you the most oversteering and Snow mode will give you the most understeering, and Gravel is in between. They report that switching to Tarmac mode for hair pin corners can prevent understeering (which is common for hair pins). Snow mode can prevent oversteering in larger corners (especially on the exit of the corner). Knowing the track and switching the modes can shave some lap times when done right.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:41 PM   #4
Jackygor
Forum Lackey

You kept with with RS4 and R8, not surprised, but I am sure you got pwned in the straights =(...200km limit? - -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jackygor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2008, 11:01 PM   #5
Kooldino
Dino
[Approved Merchant]
[Local Team Member]

I guess what you call an Rs8 we call the R8 here.

But still...considering your car is stock, it's damn impressive!

Also, moving to racing/motorsports.
Kooldino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2008, 12:20 AM   #6
cksdayoff
Just Spooling Up

that r8 is hot. thanks for the track impressions.
cksdayoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2008, 12:55 AM   #7
Jackygor
Forum Lackey

What did the audi drivers say about your car? :P

Jackygor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2008, 01:33 AM   #8
Riz5
Just Spooling Up

That Rs4 looks badass... but still you get more bang for the buck in a Evo
Old 02-07-2008, 02:00 AM   #9
Tvall13
Just Spooling Up

Sic I thought I had read that Tarmac is completely neutral (no understeer, no oversteer) snow was very safe with understeer and gravel was the one that produced oversteer? I can't recall off the top of my head where I read that but please correct me if I'm wrong.
Tvall13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2008, 02:16 AM   #10
SpicyMchaggis
Forum Lackey

125mph speed limiter? Christ.

"Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism."
SpicyMchaggis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement