Clutch Recommendations? Competition vs ACT vs Exedy - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Performance
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Performance General discussion for performance topics that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.
Sponsored by:

Old 09-23-2014, 06:31 AM   #1
SDevo10

Clutch Recommendations? Competition vs ACT vs Exedy

Hi Guys,

Continuing mods on my '08 Evo and moving on to a new clutch possibly flywheel as well. I'm in Seattle, so I'll probably be going to English Racing for the work. They recommend going with the Competition Clutch, because they feel it's a quality product for the price it comes and it will handle the hp.

I'm at about 363whp 379wtq now, but plan to build it further... I was thinking Exedy heavy plate single disc stage 2, but now I'm thinking maybe I should reconsider that idea and look at something a little more beefy. Possible take ER's recommendation?

Any input here is helpful as I'm fairly new to the community =).

Thanks Guys
SDevo10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2014, 02:20 PM   #2
ASR Autosport

I learned long ago, that if you are taking your car somewhere to get it built, go with what they recommend. This way, if there is ever a part failure or install issue, they can't say 'we told you so' and it's on them to fix.
ASR Autosport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2014, 02:43 PM   #3
Lippy1306
Just Spooling Up

What power level do you plan to build to?
Lippy1306 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 07:49 PM   #4
SDevo10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lippy1306 View Post
What power level do you plan to build to?
I don't necessarily have an idea in mind, but I'd like to be at around 500 whp/wtq off the top of my head. Then see how I feel about building from there.
SDevo10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2014, 10:13 PM   #5
adotwhite
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDevo10 View Post
I don't necessarily have an idea in mind, but I'd like to be at around 500 whp/wtq off the top of my head. Then see how I feel about building from there.
Exedy Twin for sure then

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Walked away unharmed when I should have been dead.
Quote:
Not to worry - there will be many, many more future opportunities to die.
adotwhite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2014, 07:50 AM   #6
rr14gsr
Forum Lackey

Realistically 500whp is goin to equate to ~ 400wtq. In which case a good single plate clutch will work fine. I like the act HD s 6 puck. I've had great results using act before
rr14gsr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2014, 08:40 PM   #7
on2it
Dr. Evo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASR Autosport View Post
I learned long ago, that if you are taking your car somewhere to get it built, go with what they recommend. This way, if there is ever a part failure or install issue, they can't say 'we told you so' and it's on them to fix.

That said..I like my act

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current|HKS UICP|HKS Filter|HKS racing suction pipe kit|Modified Stock Exhaust|EcuTek FQ360 tune|ETS 3.5FMIC|Swift Springs|ACT ME-HDSS|ACT Streetlite Flywheel|
Installing
|FIC 1100cc injectors|K27 Surgetank kit+ Bosch044|
To Come
|BB FPGreen|Kelford Cams|Perrin3port|Perrin Bov|Tomei FPRegulator |Tomei FP guage|
on2it is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2014, 10:37 PM   #8
Robevo
[Rally Driving Madman]

ecedy twin. Never had a problem with them. I always using them in my evos. From DD to the rally car. Rally car runs little above 3500rpm 480 lbs and sudden delivery., So its a clutch killer . 0 problem.

ACT i had before on my street 8. i find it heavy and very aggressive compere to the Exedy single disc. The twin is even better then a single disk for driver feel.

So in my personal opinion is Exedy all the way.

Ted Theodore, CCR-SCCA Board of Director
Quote: " People under estimate Rob and that Evo. They are in for a surprise. 5th fastest car last year... but all his runs were in the wet Saturday while all else ran Sunday on the dry."
Robevo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2014, 10:40 PM   #9
Robevo
[Rally Driving Madman]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDevo10 View Post
i hope when you talking about that much power, you are planning to make the drive train stronger too. It is all about balance and reliability. Just saying

Ted Theodore, CCR-SCCA Board of Director
Quote: " People under estimate Rob and that Evo. They are in for a surprise. 5th fastest car last year... but all his runs were in the wet Saturday while all else ran Sunday on the dry."
Robevo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2014, 02:26 AM   #10
ademarco6
n00b

I am running an ACT HDSS. It was recommended when Tuning Tech installed my FR EFR 7670 kit. It held 400awhp and 350 ft. lbs. tq. It feels like stock and not had an issue except the smell of burnt clutch sometimes when I am trying to get it from stalling going up a steep hill.
ademarco6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement