First track day basics? - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Racing > Track
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Track Discussion for track driving techniques, events and results.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:27 AM   #1
thebearjew
Just Spooling Up

First track day basics?

So after almost two years owning a 2012 Evo X GSR I'm planning my first track day in a month or so. Pissed I waited so long.

What are the basics to get me through? Reason I say basics is I think I just need to get out there one time to light the fire under my a$$ and get me excited and motivated to do MORE than the basics.

Here's what I planned:

Replace my AD08's with new ones
Get track specific brake pads for that day
Need to get tow hooks but with so many of them out there "just for looks" I'm kinda confused on which ones will be functional and the best way to mount them.
Change oil before I go and when I get back.
Helmet (will gloves and racing shoes help?)
More gas cans for E85

I have Bride Vios seats
I'm installing and an Autopower 4 point roll bar so I can mount the 6 point Schroth harnesses.

I have a tire pressure gauge, torque wrench, extra oil, water.

I notice some people tape parts of their car up. Is there that much debris thrown at it and if so what's the best tape to use and parts that need tape.

I have read some posts on tracking but I'm wanting to do enough to get me on the track and be safe. The motivation to go full out and track preparing my car I think will happen after a few sessions or even laps of doing it.

Thanks.
thebearjew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2013, 05:38 AM   #2
SDCHAMP619
Forum Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uscbryan View Post
So after almost two years owning a 2012 Evo X GSR I'm planning my first track day in a month or so. Pissed I waited so long.

What are the basics to get me through? Reason I say basics is I think I just need to get out there one time to light the fire under my a$$ and get me excited and motivated to do MORE than the basics.

Here's what I planned:

Need to get tow hooks but with so many of them out there "just for looks" I'm kinda confused on which ones will be functional and the best way to mount them.
More gas cans for E85

I have Bride Vios seats
I'm installing and an Autopower 4 point roll bar so I can mount the 6 point Schroth harnesses.

I notice some people tape parts of their car up. Is there that much debris thrown at it and if so what's the best tape to use and parts that need tape.

I have read some posts on tracking but I'm wanting to do enough to get me on the track and be safe. The motivation to go full out and track preparing my car I think will happen after a few sessions or even laps of doing it.

Thanks.
Just wear some comfortable tennis shoes. I personally don't like wearing gloves but I am sure that is a preference.

The X has 2 tow hooks on the bottom of the car so you don't technically need to go buy an aftermarket one.

For your first track just relax and have fun. Learn the track and learn the car.
If you can get an instructor ride along its a plus.

There are a lot of guys on here that have and do track a lot more then me and will be able to give you great info. But if you do a basic search on this forum for "First Track Day" you will get all the same information.

What track will you be doing? That may help some of the guys give you specific info.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<---CLICK HERE
TeamMitsu San Diego
5150-RACING.COM

2012 Phantom Black GSR:

2013 Cosmic Blue MR(Wife's Car/DD)
SDCHAMP619 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 05:42 AM   #3
CanEvo2012
Forum Addict

Quote:

Here's what I planned:

More gas cans for E85

I have Bride Vios seats

Thanks.
Oh man, I am jealous. One thing I would say that applies to just about anything - start slow and work on your own pace And definitely what ^ he said - instructors will give you the most gain in knowledge probably.

eTune by Chet Rickerman, the best mod really.

2012 PB GSR - 340 AWHP/338 TQ on a good day.
CanEvo2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 05:42 AM   #4
thebearjew
Just Spooling Up

Probably be Streets of Willow at Willow Springs.

Did it once on a bike years and years ago at Fontana raceway. So fun.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:00 AM   #5
SDCHAMP619
Forum Lackey

Quote:
Probably be Streets of Willow at Willow Springs.

Did it once on a bike years and years ago at Fontana raceway. So fun.
Sorry to lazy to look… what is your setup for performance?

You will love that track its a big go kart track lol. Lots of turns 2 straights enough to get to about 90mph. Watch out for the STIs no joke they always go off the track and the BMW(335i) guys like to stay in your way.

Will you be doing an xtremespeed track day?

Stay in the beginners group even if you feel like your to fast for them. Just make sure when they call your group up go get in line so your first.

The first time around will be a walk through and will have a pass car. Try to learn the line.

<---CLICK HERE
TeamMitsu San Diego
5150-RACING.COM

2012 Phantom Black GSR:

2013 Cosmic Blue MR(Wife's Car/DD)
SDCHAMP619 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
evo tracker
Just Spooling Up

I would say that you are way over-prepared for a first track day. But as long as you are into modding and intend to continue, I would get SS brake lines and some DOT 4 fluid with a high boiling point, like Motul RBF 600 or ATE Super Blue or ATE 200. The TT guys seem to like Motul the best.

If you have a harness and you have an instructor, and you should have an instructor in the car with you, he or she may not let you use the harness unless you also have one for the passenger.

Otherwise try to sleep the night before (not easy) and eat healthy and drink a lot of water. Relax and have fun!
evo tracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #7
EVOL ME
X-phile

After destroying the outer edge of my front tires, I will suggest a Compressed Air storage tank. I left mine a little on the low side, and have completely scrubbed off my indicator triangles on the tires. A little bit of care will see your tires last a little longer.

Good luck!
EVOL ME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 10:21 PM   #8
thebearjew
Just Spooling Up

Just waiting for my pads to be worn then I'm going with Girodisk disks and SS lines along with Motul.

I'll probably do the instructor down the road.

I should be able to hold my own especially in the beginners group.

Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo tracker View Post
I would say that you are way over-prepared for a first track day. But as long as you are into modding and intend to continue, I would get SS brake lines and some DOT 4 fluid with a high boiling point, like Motul RBF 600 or ATE Super Blue or ATE 200. The TT guys seem to like Motul the best.

If you have a harness and you have an instructor, and you should have an instructor in the car with you, he or she may not let you use the harness unless you also have one for the passenger.

Otherwise try to sleep the night before (not easy) and eat healthy and drink a lot of water. Relax and have fun!
Old 12-24-2013, 11:32 PM   #9
btownsoccer22
Forum Lackey

Quote:
Just waiting for my pads to be worn then I'm going with Girodisk disks and SS lines along with Motul.

I'll probably do the instructor down the road.

I should be able to hold my own especially in the beginners group.

Thanks for the info.
I'm not a professional driver by any means, but over the course of my life (which isn't long) I've done about 20ish track days. Don't think of it as "being able to hold you own". Go at a pace you are comfortable with. Learn proper lines and technique and don't think about "holding your own". Plus you will probably work on a point bye system anyways. And I wouldn't get dedicated track pads.
btownsoccer22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 11:40 PM   #10
thebearjew
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownsoccer22 View Post
I'm not a professional driver by any means, but over the course of my life (which isn't long) I've done about 20ish track days. Don't think of it as "being able to hold you own". Go at a pace you are comfortable with. Learn proper lines and technique and don't think about "holding your own". Plus you will probably work on a point bye system anyways. And I wouldn't get dedicated track pads.
Holding my own in that I won't be dangeriously slow. I'll learn the track, get my lines down, find my turn in points, apex and exit points then work on getting the throttle down sooner and sooner on corner exit. After I'm hitting my apex consistently I'll move on to braking points later and later. and progressively go faster as I feel comfortable.

Most people are telling me not to use street pads on the track. Is there harm in using track pads for the track?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement