Dyno tune right after clutch install? - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Performance
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Performance General discussion for performance topics that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.
Sponsored by:

Old 02-19-2015, 08:17 PM   #1
CharlieO
n00b

Dyno tune right after clutch install?

Not sure if this is the right section to post this in, so apologies if its posted in the wrong area.

I'm going to be getting a stage 2 comp clutch installed @ English Racing on Monday and a tune right after.
I asked them about the break in for the clutch and they said it would be fine.
Is this true?
I'm really worried it will affect the longevity of my new clutch as I cannot afford another 1300$ for clutch and install anytime soon.
English Racing is 2 and a half hours from me, so getting a dyno tune right after would be really convenient and save me money and time. But I don't want to do it at the cost of my clutch.
I know English Racing is very reputable out here in the NW and I'm sure know their stuff, but I'm still a bit worried.
So I was hoping people with experience could chime in.
It would be much appreciated,
Thank you.

Last edited by CharlieO; 02-19-2015 at 08:47 PM.
CharlieO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2015, 10:36 PM   #2
4G63_Evo

I would think its not a good idea! In for the more experienced people to chime in
4G63_Evo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2015, 11:19 PM   #3
CanEvo2012
Forum Addict

I don't see a problem with it. I wouldn't think clutch's life would get affected from a few WOT pulls on the dyno. Not like it's a launch or something like that.

eTune by Chet Rickerman, the best mod really.

2012 PB GSR - 340 AWHP/338 TQ on a good day.
CanEvo2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 11:48 PM   #4
Og Neon
Just Spooling Up

I am in almost the exact same situation as you. I am doing a winter build as well as a clutch install and will need a tune almost immediately. I though went with a Exedy Twin which I know will easily hold my power outputs. Either way, after my install I am going to try and do a bit of a break in before the dyno just to make sure. If you had a higher rated clutch i would be less worried, but since the stage two is an organic clutch, it really needs time to break in and properly mate with the flywheel face. Like brakes and rotors...they wear to each others face. If it is a simple tune you should be ok but you are taking some risk, and it isn't optimum given that it is an organic faced clutch.
That being said i just came from a Exedy stage 1 HD and i only put 200 miles on it until my first race and that sucker held like a champ and I never had any issues with it. But i knew the risk and was willing to take it.
Og Neon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2015, 11:59 PM   #5
pbasil1
Just Spooling Up

You will be fine. They arent slipping the clutch any like launching would, while the car is on the dyno. After you get the car home do a light break in on the clutch, you will be fine. Its a light non aggressive clutch, so a vigorous break in isnt needed.
pbasil1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2015, 01:56 AM   #6
05orangeSS
X-phile

Yup you'll be fine. My clutch's first miles were on the dyno

STM Ricer: [email protected]
Project RS Street car: [email protected]/ [email protected] race trim
Cessna's Stock Block RS: [email protected]
Shawna's Street Evo: [email protected]
Cory's Stock Motor TSI: [email protected]
Ryan's stock turbo Evo8: [email protected]
Producing the ONLY numbers that matter!
05orangeSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2015, 05:08 AM   #7
4G63_Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Og Neon View Post
I am in almost the exact same situation as you. I am doing a winter build as well as a clutch install and will need a tune almost immediately. I though went with a Exedy Twin which I know will easily hold my power outputs. Either way, after my install I am going to try and do a bit of a break in before the dyno just to make sure. If you had a higher rated clutch i would be less worried, but since the stage two is an organic clutch, it really needs time to break in and properly mate with the flywheel face. Like brakes and rotors...they wear to each others face. If it is a simple tune you should be ok but you are taking some risk, and it isn't optimum given that it is an organic faced clutch.
That being said i just came from a Exedy stage 1 HD and i only put 200 miles on it until my first race and that sucker held like a champ and I never had any issues with it. But i knew the risk and was willing to take it.
I agree with this, makes sense!
4G63_Evo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2015, 10:59 AM   #8
CharlieO
n00b

Thank you guys for the replies! I feel slot better about it now. I'm just going to just take my chances and go with what the tuner and many of you are saying. I hAve yet to hear a horror sorry about it. Wish me luck lol
Old 02-20-2015, 12:46 PM   #9
86evo
Just Spooling Up

No different than when you do some pulls on the highway with your new clutch.
86evo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2015, 02:30 PM   #10
CharlieO
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86evo View Post
No different than when you do some pulls on the highway with your new clutch.
What do you mean by that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement