My Trackday impressions - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X General
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X General General discussion on the 2008+ Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X

Old 03-06-2008, 09:31 PM   #1
GAmbrose

My Trackday impressions

I went up to Prodrive's track earlier today courtesy of Mitsubishi UK and got to drive the new Evo X SST and the FQ360 Manual and had a superb time.

They really flatter the driver. I can't believe I just hopped in to one and drove it pedal to the metal from the outset. Usually you have to get a feel for the car but they were so easy to handle it was unreal and that SST gearbox is incredable compared to the traditional torque converting units. I got to spend a decent amount of time driving it around their highspeed test track in all the gearbox modes and with the Traction control off and couldn't believe how much speed you can carry through the corners. I thought I was going to make a tit of myself on the track but I was pleasantly surprised at my driving.

The rally tarmac stage was a bit of a different story, I wasn't so great at that. It was a 2nd and 3rd gear course with the emphasis on tight and twisty cornering using the brakes. Didn't like the instructor I had on that either, he said he was tired and seemed like he just wanted to get home.

In person the cars looked even better than the pictures although I didn't think much of the carbon Front lip spoiler and Vortex generator that they've put on the FQ 360 model.

I'd never done a trackday before but can highly recommend it. Even got to go out for 2x laps with Guy Wilks who is a bona fide Mitsubishi Rally driver...now he really put everyone else to shame on that track including the Prodrive instructors.

You guys are getting the 'MR' which is a bit more toned down than our GSR SST (We keep all the performance suspension and brakes etc) but I think you are going to love the SST box.

Gary A

Last edited by GAmbrose; 03-06-2008 at 09:53 PM. Reason: spelling correction
GAmbrose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2008, 09:34 PM   #2
on2it
Dr. Evo?

Good stuff!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current|HKS UICP|HKS Filter|HKS racing suction pipe kit|Modified Stock Exhaust|EcuTek FQ360 tune|ETS 3.5FMIC|Swift Springs|ACT ME-HDSS|ACT Streetlite Flywheel|
Installing
|FIC 1100cc injectors|K27 Surgetank kit+ Bosch044|
To Come
|BB FPGreen|Kelford Cams|Perrin3port|Perrin Bov|Tomei FPRegulator |Tomei FP guage|
on2it is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2008, 09:36 PM   #3
Kooldino
Dino
[Approved Merchant]
[Local Team Member]

Awesome!

How did you get this opportunity?
Kooldino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 09:37 PM   #4
EVOXCO

Any pics?
EVOXCO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2008, 09:40 PM   #5
silvreclipse

nice man i bet that was tons of fun.
silvreclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2008, 09:47 PM   #6
GAmbrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooldino View Post
Awesome!

How did you get this opportunity?
Because I ordered a car

But Mitsubishi UK have hired out the whole track for 3 weeks to let journalists, dealers, mechanics and customers get to interact and drive them. They really let us go for it and we didn't have to wear fire proof suits or helmets or anything.

Here is a description of the facilities:

http://www.prodrive.com/level2.html?id=22

Prodrive are the people that do development work on Subaru's and they also own Aston Martin now as part of a conglomerate.

Gary A
Old 03-06-2008, 09:48 PM   #7
_Chris_
Forum Lackey

Thanks for the input.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_Chris_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2008, 09:48 PM   #8
Jackygor
Forum Lackey

That is great new, did you launch the cars?

Thanks for the info!

Jackygor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2008, 09:52 PM   #9
GAmbrose

Launch as in use the launch control? They wouldn't let us as they said they clutch would probably only take about 3 launches before it did some serious damage. One of the instuctors said that it also logs it on the computer so that the mechanics can see if you have been using it or not and could invalidate the warrenty if your SST box were to fail.

Gary A
Old 03-06-2008, 09:56 PM   #10
voodooman79
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
You guys are getting the 'MR' which is a bit more toned down than our GSR SST (We keep all the performance suspension and brakes etc) but I think you are going to love the SST box.

Gary A
What do you mean the MR is toned down? Are you comparing it to the FQ 360? Or a standard GSR, because the MR comes with upgraded brakes, suspension, and the sst. Ofcourse the MR is no FQ 360 if that's what you mean.
voodooman79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement