Clunk/Popping noise on start up - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Transmission & S-AWC System
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Transmission & S-AWC System Discussion for transmission, axle, driveshaft, and related systems that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:54 PM   #1
bwagner31
Just Spooling Up

Clunk/Popping noise on start up

I searched high and low to see if anyone else had any similar issues and couldn't really find much. I am not talking about the noise that many hear when the car is put in reverse and begin backing out of driveway.

I had my car tuned yesterday at DG Motors on pump 93 and e85. Since leaving there, when i start my car i hear a quick clunking/popping noise coming from under the center console. This occurs for a split second right when the car cranks over. Sounds somewhat similar to the driveline clunk at high rpm shifts but seems to occur a little more toward the front of the car near the transmission. It is usually 2-3 clunks, and almost sounds like something is knocking on metal. I don't know if this is something i should be worried about, or if anyone might be able to help diagnose what is causing it.

Also, I can not tell definitely. But it seems like every now and then on downshifts it will also make the clunking noise when the clutch just starts to re-engage. Just a little harder to tell since the exhaust drones out the noise.

Hope someone might be able to lend some knowledge.
AMS Intake, AMS TestPipe, Ams Dual Exhaust, ATP Intercooler, Ultimate Racing UICP, Xtremeboost 02/DP, Grimmspeed EBCS, DW 1000cc Injectors, Walbro 255, Blaqops Single Pump Kit, Tephra XMOD Map switching, AEM Wideband, Prosport Boost gauge, DG Motors Tuned
Pump Gas: 310whp, 320wtq.
E85: 363whp, 370wtq
bwagner31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2010, 02:23 AM   #2
bwagner31
Just Spooling Up

no one has any ideas? Im nervous driving the car, not knowing what the issue is.
AMS Intake, AMS TestPipe, Ams Dual Exhaust, ATP Intercooler, Ultimate Racing UICP, Xtremeboost 02/DP, Grimmspeed EBCS, DW 1000cc Injectors, Walbro 255, Blaqops Single Pump Kit, Tephra XMOD Map switching, AEM Wideband, Prosport Boost gauge, DG Motors Tuned
Old 07-29-2010, 03:08 AM   #3
tos
n00b

Yours a SST or manual? Mine is a SST and on firing up, it clunks like you mention. Feels like a sequence the car goes through whenever it fires up.
tos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 03:27 AM   #4
bwagner31
Just Spooling Up

GSR. mine never did it until yesterday.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:56 AM   #5
charon2123
Just Spooling Up

Did they install anything? Perhaps somehing is loose, or maybe they dropped something in your undertray. If you have the capability, you should check underneath and make sure nothing is touching where it isn't supposed to.
charon2123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2010, 04:06 AM   #6
bwagner31
Just Spooling Up

they installed injectors, fuel pump, and blaqops fuel system. If there was something in the undertray, i would think that i would hear it while driving as well, not just start up.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:22 PM   #7
charon2123
Just Spooling Up

You would be surprised what you hear when the car is stationary versus when you are driving and the exhaust is going full bore. However, with the install of the fuel stuff, I cannot see why there would be a clunk; still, have a look underneath in the area you think things are touching. Otherwise, you could bring it back to DG to have them check it out.
charon2123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2010, 03:54 PM   #8
bwagner31
Just Spooling Up

Unfortunately DG is a 3 hour drive from me... After driving this morning, I can hear the noise at loiw speeds when going over bumps etc. This makes me think it may just be something loose, making contact on something. Any ideas? It seems to be occuring more frequently
Old 07-29-2010, 04:19 PM   #9
mlomker
Resting in Peace

I'd get under it and poke around. Hard to say with these things. Could be a loose exhaust joint...could be a lot of things.

When you said it seemed to come from the center console, my first thought was the clutch. When my six puck was new I'd hear some weird sounds that seemed to come from there...they went away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
mlomker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2010, 04:56 PM   #10
SiliconTek
Forum Addict

It may just be coincidence. I had the same sound coming from my car after installing my downpipe.

Here was the culprit...

This spot is directly in front of your shifter like under the console near the firewall. It would also make the noise when I shut off the car. On startup it was a "clunk clunk clunk" sound. It would also make a clunk sound when going over bumps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.

Last edited by SiliconTek; 07-29-2010 at 04:58 PM.
SiliconTek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement