Snow tires/wheel size - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > '08+ Lancer Common > '08+ Lancer Wheels, Suspension, & Brakes
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

'08+ Lancer Wheels, Suspension, & Brakes Discussion for wheels, tires, brakes, and suspension related topics that are common among all 08+ Lancers.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:54 AM   #1
Alien Visitor
n00b

Snow tires/wheel size

I want to get a set of winter tires for my RA. I don't want to get a set of 18" wheels for the winter if I don't have to, so does anyone know how small I can go without having any issues? Thanks in advance.
Alien Visitor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2010, 03:33 AM   #2
blk-majik
[Local Team Member]

small and narrow is better for snow. just run the oem size
blk-majik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2010, 04:10 AM   #3
Alien Visitor
n00b

That's what I keep reading. I wanted to know if I could fit 16" wheels on a Ralliart. If not, I'll probably get snow tires and put them on the stock wheels.
Alien Visitor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 05:38 AM   #4
cavasotti
X-phile

i will also have to shop for snow tires.. what is everyone using?
cavasotti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2010, 06:36 AM   #5
Malves85
[Local Team Member]

Check on Tirerack to see what can fit your car. I know with the big brakes the Evo can only fit 18" rims. I think I heard of someone fitting 17" but I'm not sure. The RA can probably go 17" or even 16".
I personally just got snow tires in the OEM size so I didnt have to buy another set of rims.
I have used Dunlop SP Winter Sports for the past 2 winters and love them. I dont drive like a maniac in the snow so I cant say how they handle under pressure but they got me through the hills on my way to work each day with no slip and slide action.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Malves85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2010, 03:04 PM   #6
jyamona
Forum Lackey

I have 3 dunlop wintersport 3D's in the higher speed rating, size 225/45/17 from my 09 WRX. The 4th got a hole in the sidewall from a wicked pothole =/. I used them for less than 1,200 miles and they look / practically are brand new. I've since traded the suby in for my EVO and will be getting another set of these tires in 18" so I can keep my rims. They were absolutely awesome last winter (you know how much snow we got.)

I'd sell the 17's to you fairly cheap and you can just pick up a 4th off of tirerack? I live in northeast pa too, so you're only about 1.5hrs away and I won't have to ship =)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jyamona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2010, 01:09 AM   #7
RyanNowosielski
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavasotti View Post
i will also have to shop for snow tires.. what is everyone using?
definitely Bridgestone Blizzaks. i'm in colorado and drive the craziest roads every weekend to get to my snowboarding destinations - and have had to deal with every kind of road. i have some all seasons (continental dws) which worked well - but when i strapped on some blizzy's - it was night and day. you can do just about whatever and it's 300-500% better than anything else i've come across.
RyanNowosielski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2010, 07:51 PM   #8
hinduboy74
Just Spooling Up

So i'm going to run the stock enkies for the winter but tire wise i was throwing some number around. I used the Rims ' n ' Tires tire calulator to see the different options for size wise. I'm thinking of doing a 225/45/18 or 225/50/18 what do you guys think?

Hear It, Feel It, Move It

hinduboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2010, 07:59 PM   #9
RyanNowosielski
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinduboy74 View Post
So i'm going to run the stock enkies for the winter but tire wise i was throwing some number around. I used the Rims ' n ' Tires tire calulator to see the different options for size wise. I'm thinking of doing a 225/45/18 or 225/50/18 what do you guys think?
I have 245/45/18 Blizzaks on my stocker rims. Not lowered at all.

was just reading this too:

https://www.evoxforums.com/forums/arc...p/t-10039.html

however, i know my stock rims / 245-45-18's work perfectly for snow; so i'm not sure how informative it truly is.
RyanNowosielski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2010, 09:13 PM   #10
hinduboy74
Just Spooling Up

ya thats what i was going to do origianlly , but i realized i might want a narrower tire to cut through the snow better. Also what exact blizzacks do u have ryan?

Hear It, Feel It, Move It

hinduboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement