Need some advice on what turbo to get - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Turbo
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Turbo Discussion for turbo systems that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:12 PM   #1
MannyEvoX
Just Spooling Up

Need some advice on what turbo to get

Hey guys I need some advice and would love to hear people's experience with these turbos I'm thinking about.

My motor is getting built right now (ran it low on oil like an idiot) and so I decided I might as well get a bigger turbo now while it's being worked on. My tuner asked me what I wanted out of the car and since I was a kid I've wanted a stupid fast evo. So we said 500whp or so. He suggested an FP Black which I was all for! It's been over 2 months now and I have all the parts except the turbo and my tuner is saying FP is taking way to long to build this turbo and I should be thinking about maybe getting a different turbo now.

Now I have so many options I don't know what to do. Either wait for the Black (tuner also knows someone who builds turbos and can build a turbo similar to the Black within 3 weeks) or get another stock frame turbo like a GTX, or Dominator. Or go with a T3 set up either a 6266 or 6466. Or the EFR kits like the 8374. Or maybe an AMS 750xp with a 5858.

I've never had a big turbo car so I'm not sure which turbo I'd like best. I've only been on a stock turbo so I'm not used to lag. I've read a ton about all these turbos and still can't decide! I would really love advice from people who have experience with any of them.

I have a truck that I usually drive around so this won't be my daily but I also don't go around looking to race people. I have a heavy foot tho and like to do pulls here and there and play the car like an instrument sometimes and hit the back roads. I'm 24 now so I don't really drive crazy anymore, I just wanna get pushed back in my seat a few times each car ride and maybe an occasional roll race with some lol

Also what do you guys think about getting a used turbo kit? My build is already about $8,000+ without the turbo, so I'm trying to save money any way I can.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EFR 8374 + Build in progres. . .
ETS Intake
AGP Dual Exhaust
MAP UICP
QTP Test Pipe (w/cut out)
Depo 4' IC
Grimmspeed EBCS
HKS BOV
Comp stage 3 clutch
MannyEvoX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2018, 04:48 PM   #2
Metal_AF
Just Spooling Up

Have you upgraded any fueling components yet? And are you swapping to bigger cams while you rebuild the motor?
Metal_AF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2018, 06:41 PM   #3
MannyEvoX
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal_AF View Post
Have you upgraded any fueling components yet? And are you swapping to bigger cams while you rebuild the motor?
Yes I have ID1700x and a walboro 450. Stock cams

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ETS Intake
AGP Dual Exhaust
MAP UICP
Depo 4' IC
Grimmspeed EBCS
HKS BOV
Comp stage 3 clutch

Old 09-10-2018, 07:26 PM   #4
MannyEvoX
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal_AF View Post
Yes I have ID1700x and a walboro 450. Stock cams

ETS Intake
AGP Dual Exhaust
MAP UICP
Depo 4' IC
Grimmspeed EBCS
HKS BOV
Comp stage 3 clutch
Old 09-16-2018, 07:48 PM   #5
lbcevo
Just Spooling Up

You need cams, dont make the mistake of building the motor and upgrading the turbo without cams--get S2s, Kelford B or AMS TMP. And you'll need GSC springs.

I didnt know FP is still making the Black, I would get the ATP Gen 2 GTX 3576. IMO this is the perfect turbo for the Evo X, I love mine. Easy to install, spools fast and tons of power. I'm neck and neck with C7 ZO6s and Gen 5 Vipers on the straights. If not the 3576, I'd get the FR EFR 8374, but that's a different ballgame with a lot more heat and welded parts that can crack.
Evo X SE #311
KT Motoring 2.0, 450 WHP DD FlexFuel|Jacks SST|Muellerized Ohlins R/T|ATP Gen 2 GTX3576R
Darton Sleeved|Cosworth Rods, Pistons|GSC S2 Cams, Springs|ACL/WPC Bearings|ARP CA625 HS, MS|ID 2000s|Radium FPH, FST-R, FR, CCs|SSP Pan
Accusump w/EPC|CBRD Radiator|Setrab Oil/3xSST Coolers|MAP SS Mani, OP|Moore 3.5 MAF|ETS FMIC|AMS/Magnaflow TBE
Whiteline FSB, RSB, RCK, FCAB, RCAB, FEL|Hotchkis REL|Enkei NT03+M 18x10.5+30|Hankook TD|Girodisc Rotors|Raybestos ST43|Zeitronix ZT-2
lbcevo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2018, 03:51 PM   #6
MannyEvoX
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbcevo View Post
You need cams, dont make the mistake of building the motor and upgrading the turbo without cams--get S2s, Kelford B or AMS TMP. And you'll need GSC springs.

I didnt know FP is still making the Black, I would get the ATP Gen 2 GTX 3576. IMO this is the perfect turbo for the Evo X, I love mine. Easy to install, spools fast and tons of power. I'm neck and neck with C7 ZO6s and Gen 5 Vipers on the straights. If not the 3576, I'd get the FR EFR 8374, but that's a different ballgame with a lot more heat and welded parts that can crack.
My tuner said I don't "need" cams to get to my goals. It would benefit me but he said the stock cams are good enough. FP Black is discontinued but he has connections to get it made, but it's taking too long so I told him to cancel that.

I have not heard anything good about the GTX turbos so I already crossed that off the list.

I'm going EFR...Hopefully by the end of the day I'll make my final decision between the EFR7670 or EFR8374. I'm just trying to figure out which one will suit me best, they're both amazing turbos!
Old 09-18-2018, 09:23 PM   #7
turismolover22
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbcevo View Post

There are a few places out there that will make a turbo to a "red" or "Black" spec turbo. It may not be a legit brand new FP black, but it will be sized close or to the same specs as such.
turismolover22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2018, 09:59 PM   #8
MannyEvoX
Just Spooling Up

Just wanted to give an update that I made my decision last week. I went with an EFR 8374 IWG .92 A/R kit from Full Race! It was $5,700 but I think it'll be worth it. I was told it should get here within 5-6 weeks :/ my tuner is going to start my motor build next week I'll do my best to inform the community what my thoughts are with this turbo, as well as a dyno sheet so maybe one day it'll help someone with the same questions I had. Thank you everyone who replied.

ETS Intake
AGP Dual Exhaust
MAP UICP
Depo 4' IC
Grimmspeed EBCS
HKS BOV
Comp stage 3 clutch
Old 09-27-2018, 01:16 AM   #9
razorlab

It's redonkulous not to upgrade your cams while your building a motor. You are already paying for all the labor, just pony up another $600 for a set of cams.

if you don't want cam lope, get a set of Kelford 214-B's. You can't even tell the car has cams and they make good power.

razorlab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2018, 02:46 PM   #10
MannyEvoX
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorlab View Post
It's redonkulous not to upgrade your cams while your building a motor. You are already paying for all the labor, just pony up another $600 for a set of cams.

if you don't want cam lope, get a set of Kelford 214-B's. You can't even tell the car has cams and they make good power.
If it was that much than sure but he told me that if I do cams I need springs, if I get those I should get buckets, he kept going on till it was the entire head lol. This turbo will make more than the power I'm after so I don't need cams to get to that power level at least. I'm at 12k in parts only... I have no idea what labor will be so I'm already way over my budget

ETS Intake
AGP Dual Exhaust
MAP UICP
Depo 4' IC
Grimmspeed EBCS
HKS BOV
Comp stage 3 clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement