Unable to read vacuum or boost with AEM 35-8460 - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Turbo
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Turbo Discussion for turbo systems that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:34 PM   #1
evo_of_anu

Unable to read vacuum or boost with AEM 35-8460

Hello,

Currently I am experiencing an issue with my '14 GSR with a Precision 6266 turbo. I have an AEM 35-8460 boost gauge that only reads 0, whether I am idling or actually hitting boost. The gauge is running from the dash, into a T clamp with one end that goes into a Grimmspeed boost controller and the other into the BOV. I've checked the lines into the turbo and everything seems to be secure and the gauge is receiving normal power.

Any idea what might be going on?

Thanks in advance!
evo_of_anu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2018, 11:40 PM   #2
AiZ
Just Spooling Up

Wait, your EBCS port connects to your BOV/DV directly? Am I getting this right?

EBCS === BOV
||
Sensor

To the best of my knowledge your EBCS shouldn't be connected to your BOV directly. One port is for the wastegate, one for the UICP vacuum source and the third port for the intake (optional). Don't remember which is which.

Maybe that's your problem there?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AiZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2018, 01:33 AM   #3
evo_of_anu

Hey, thanks for the advice.

I believe so. I'll try to explain this the best I can as I did not install it this way. The gauge runs from the dash into the engine bay, then there is a T, one of those lines runs directly into the BOV and the other into the solenoid.

I don't recall seeing any other lines going from the wastegate to the gauge but there could be from the solenoid. I will have to verify this. However, I did think that it was weird that I wasn't able to locate a boost pressure sensor that was connected to the gauge.... hmm...

I also have a Turbosmart wastegate, not sure what the spring is rated for

Last edited by evo_of_anu; 10-08-2018 at 01:33 AM. Reason: wastegate!

Old 10-08-2018, 04:36 PM   #4
AiZ
Just Spooling Up

Ok, I'm not sure if the boost sources change when you have an EFR kit since you said you're running a 6266 turbo, but at least in a stock/stock frame turbo, no lines in the EBCS connect to your BOV directly.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...olenoid-2.html

The BOV line comes from the intake manifold.

Check that thread.

You'll have to figure out where the AEM boost sensor is and trace the line back. Is the vacuum line running through the firewall into the car? Make sure it's not pinched. My boost sensor is in the engine bay and it's only the wiring that goes through the firewall into the gauge. IMO the best and easiest place to tap a boost gauge is the Intake Mani <> BOV reference vacuum line, that's where mine is.

Who installed the turbo kit and other mods? Did you buy the car already like this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:34 AM   #5
evo_of_anu

I bought the car with this configuration. Only the wiring is run through the firewall. I feel like I am missing a sensor... I will grab some pictures tonight for reference to better illustrate what I am trying to convey through text
Old 10-09-2018, 04:25 PM   #6
AiZ
Just Spooling Up

Ok, but you still need to figure out where that third line in your Tee is going into. If there's nothing at the end of it then you have a vacuum/boost leak.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:53 PM   #7
evo_of_anu

I've attached some photos to better illustrate what's going on.

From left to right, the wiring is from the gauge, then into the BOV, other end is going into the EBCM and feeds into the turbo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20181009_191451_1028.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	279026   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20181009_191509_9882.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	279028   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20181009_191530_5762.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	279030   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20181009_191558_3557.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	279032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20181009_191622_2493.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	279034  

Old 10-11-2018, 12:37 AM   #8
AiZ
Just Spooling Up

That second picture, where are those vacuum lines coming from? You have an open barb there. That's not good news.

Trace the lines off the EBCS and make sure they go where they're supposed to - one to turbo wastegate, one to compressor outlet, and top/center one to intake or VTA.

Like I said I don't know if EFR kits use different vacuum routing, so hard for me to give much input. I haven't seen a BOV hooked up directly to the EBCS though.

Then find out which of those lines have the tee and trace the teed

Old 10-11-2018, 06:48 PM   #9
CanEvo2012
Forum Addict

What the heck? EBCS connect to BOV? WHY!?

UICP => EBCS => WASTEGATE is usually a correct combination
INTAKE MANIFOLD => BOV is another line

My boost gauge is T-eed in the Manifold to BOV line.

eTune by Chet Rickerman, the best mod really.

2012 PB GSR - 340 AWHP/338 TQ on a good day.
CanEvo2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2018, 08:17 PM   #10
evo_of_anu

Thank you both for the insight. I bought it like this, so I wish I could say that I knew what their reasoning was for doing that, but I don't know

I will toy around the configuration, but at least I know now that the BOV should never be directly connected to the EBCS.

Gonna end up just re-wiring and running the vacuum lines properly.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement