Ortiz steering column pod - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X General
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X General General discussion on the 2008+ Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X

Old 10-11-2018, 08:50 PM   #1
jgronline

Ortiz steering column pod

I'm thinking about getting one of these gauge pods:

I've read reviews about the cluster but not the steering column products. Does anyone have one of these?
jgronline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2018, 09:24 PM   #2
N8R
Just Spooling Up

They suck, don't give them ur money. Late orders, sub-par finish, and bondo cracks...not worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgronline View Post
I'm thinking about getting one of these gauge pods:

I've read reviews about the cluster but not the steering column products. Does anyone have one of these?
Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2018, 02:34 PM   #3
Jimmy636

I vote just attach one to your OEM pod with screws and/or double sided tape. You can put it wherever you want, and you'll hardly be able to tell the parts are actually 2 separate pieces. Plus you can get a gauge pod off amazon for like $10.
ETS\\Work\\Varis\\Satus\\TommyKaira\\

Jimmy636 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 08:32 PM   #4
turismolover22
Just Spooling Up

Maybe I should start making these...HMM
turismolover22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2018, 04:41 AM   #5
Dj Eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy636 View Post
I vote just attach one to your OEM pod with screws and/or double sided tape. You can put it wherever you want, and you'll hardly be able to tell the parts are actually 2 separate pieces. Plus you can get a gauge pod off amazon for like $10.
Where are you talking about putting the gauge pod? I don't see how using screws will look good.

I've been wanting the double gauge pod like the one above but haven't ordered it yet because of all the bad reviews and what seem to be very slow turn around time from ordering to actually receiving the double cluster pod.
Dj Eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2018, 04:45 AM   #6
Dj Eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by turismolover22 View Post
Maybe I should start making these...HMM
Is this something you are good at?

I have been wanting the Evo X Dual Pod Cluster for a long time but haven't pulled the trigger due to all the problems I keep reading about.

Do you think you could make this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ortiz gauge pod.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	279054  
Old 10-15-2018, 12:41 AM   #7
Jimmy636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Eclipse View Post
Where are you talking about putting the gauge pod? I don't see how using screws will look good.

I've been wanting the double gauge pod like the one above but haven't ordered it yet because of all the bad reviews and what seem to be very slow turn around time from ordering to actually receiving the double cluster pod.

Sorry, meant the oem steering column plastic, not pod. I hit my head really hard lol.

Anyway I used black hardware, and it comes in a couple pieces so the section that holds the gauge itself covers the base enough to where you really couldn't see the screws once its all together. Everything being black it blended in pretty well. I'm pretty anal when it comes to my cars and all in all I was happy. For what it's worth I picked up a Forever Driven triple pillar pod a while back and refused to use it because it just wasn't quite up to standards.

This is the pod I'm talking about:

https://www.amazon.com/Auto-Meter-22...52mm+gauge+pod
ETS\\Work\\Varis\\Satus\\TommyKaira\\

Jimmy636 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2018, 01:28 AM   #8
turismolover22
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Eclipse View Post
Is this something you are good at?

I have been wanting the Evo X Dual Pod Cluster for a long time but haven't pulled the trigger due to all the problems I keep reading about.

Do you think you could make this?
I've done some pieces before and I work with fiberglass. Time is more a constraint than the effort/work that needs to be done TBH.

I wouldnt make them out of PVC, due to the difficulty of long term attachment to the plastic. If that's done, a PVC cement is a better fit than standard plastic epoxy as the PVC needs to chemically bond to the glue to work, as well as the ABS.

If you made them yourself a good ABS plastic glue is FUSOR. Auto body grade stuff for repairing bumpers etc.
turismolover22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2018, 06:08 PM   #9
Dj Eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy636 View Post
Sorry, meant the oem steering column plastic, not pod. I hit my head really hard lol.

Anyway I used black hardware, and it comes in a couple pieces so the section that holds the gauge itself covers the base enough to where you really couldn't see the screws once its all together. Everything being black it blended in pretty well. I'm pretty anal when it comes to my cars and all in all I was happy. For what it's worth I picked up a Forever Driven triple pillar pod a while back and refused to use it because it just wasn't quite up to standards.

This is the pod I'm talking about:

https://www.amazon.com/Auto-Meter-22...52mm+gauge+pod

Do you have pics of the install with everything covered up?

I like the Ortiz gauge cluster as it looks stock.

I have the A pillar dual gauge pod and don't like it at all as for me it seems to stick out and hinder viability when cornering tot he left.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:10 PM   #10
Dj Eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by turismolover22 View Post
I've done some pieces before and I work with fiberglass. Time is more a constraint than the effort/work that needs to be done TBH.

I wouldnt make them out of PVC, due to the difficulty of long term attachment to the plastic. If that's done, a PVC cement is a better fit than standard plastic epoxy as the PVC needs to chemically bond to the glue to work, as well as the ABS.

If you made them yourself a good ABS plastic glue is FUSOR. Auto body grade stuff for repairing bumpers etc.
I would assume most of the price would be the time it takes and craftsmanship of making everything fit and look factory.

have you ever made the dual gauge pod gauge cluster?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement