Rear Differential - Internal Leak? HELP - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Transmission & S-AWC System > S-AWC System
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

S-AWC System For discussion of the S-AWC system and it's components including (but not limited to) driveshafts, differentials, programming, etc.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:09 PM   #1
GundamX
n00b

Unhappy Rear Differential - Internal Leak? HELP

Hello,

2010 GSR

I have a question,

Speculation is that my high pressure section of the rear diff is leaking into the clutch packs wet bath.

Current situation.. 4WD Light and leaking ATF from the passenger side breather..

BackStory: When the 4WD Light light popped up the reservoir was empty then i filled the AYC reservoir up and it kept disappearing with no visible leaks. Now, after a few "fill ups".. my rear diff is leaking from the passenger side breather. Edit: This would mean that the high pressure ATF side is leaking into the ATF of the frictions disc's section and over flowing. More Info: https://www.evoxforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=397806

My question to the evo gurus is... is that a reasonable assumption and if so.. how? also.. could a AYC pump failure cause this and why?

I cannot find any in-depth internal diagrams or tear downs of the rear diff... why isn't this a thing or replacement parts... if anyone has access to it let me know.. i'd like to check it out.. This could just be a 50$ high pressure hydraulic seal.

Also posted this on EvoM: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...l#post11859058

Last edited by GundamX; 02-01-2019 at 07:15 PM.
GundamX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2019, 03:44 PM   #2
GundamX
n00b

Added info:

My AYC is throwing failure codes.

After spending a lot of time diving into what information i could find on the web about the AYC System is that.. the AYC system not only acts as a means to apply pressure onto the clutch packs to transfer power.. but it is also a way to remove heat from the front and rear differentials. Its is continuously running while the car is on and cycling fluid through the two differentials. If this pump were to fail and the flow in the system became stagnate then the rear differentials could overheat and cause damage/wear to the internal components of the differentials.

Also I added pictures to the EvoM Forums post. You have to URL to add picture here.. which means uploading photos hosting site in order to add pictures to this forums.. which is a PITA.

Last edited by GundamX; 02-01-2019 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:19 PM   #3
Kooldino
Dino
[Approved Merchant]
[Local Team Member]

So let me get this straight - you suspect that the two different fluids in your rear diff (gear oil and ATF) are cross contaminating, yes?
Kooldino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2019, 07:06 PM   #4
GundamX
n00b

Nope... There are two separate sections of the rear diff that use ATF (and another that uses LSD). The two ATF sections are mixing.. take a look at the pictures i attached on the EvoM post. Also there is some discourse there...

The high pressure side that applies pressure onto to the friction discs is leaking into the friction disc's fluid bath.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:40 PM   #5
turismolover22
Just Spooling Up

turismolover22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement