Front diff or axle loud squeal at low speed? - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Transmission & S-AWC System
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Transmission & S-AWC System Discussion for transmission, axle, driveshaft, and related systems that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:48 PM   #1
blk-majik
[Local Team Member]

Front diff or axle loud squeal at low speed?

I had new wheels put on recently, and just after I started hearing a squealing noise and assumed it was the tires rubbing. I couldn't see any signs of rubbing though. I just got back from my tire shop, and after 3 hours, we concluded it is NOT the wheels/tires. It's the axle or diff or something there-abouts.

When the car is cold, it doesn't make the noise. After about 5 mins of driving, it starts. It mostly happen when the wheel is straight and at low speeds. It's a VERY loud rub/squeal sound, the slower I go, the louder it gets. It's loud enough that when I come up to stop lights it gets the attention of people on the sidewalk.

If i tap the brakes at all, it stop for a couple seconds, then starts again. If i left-foot brake a bit while driving, it never happens.

I changed my front center diff and trans fluid a bit over a month ago. The noise started a couple weeks ago. I don't think that's related since I even had a track day on the new fluids well before the noise started.

The guy at my tire shop thinks its the front diff clutches and suggested driving in a tight circle for 20+ laps in each direction. I did that and it seems better, but still happens.

Any ideas what the noise is and how to fix it?
blk-majik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2011, 10:01 PM   #2
irmerm
Forum Lackey

video?
K&N Drop-In Filter
CBRDSpeedFactory UICP
Eibach Pro-Kit Springs
irmerm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 10:04 PM   #3
blk-majik
[Local Team Member]

I'll make on it a bit. my cellphone audio sucks, but I'll try

Old 03-28-2011, 04:43 AM   #4
blk-majik
[Local Team Member]

I took a couple videos on the drive to the tarck, but I'm gassed so I'll upload them earlier.

I'm pretty sure its the brakes, not the diff. The noise was totally absent after my first track session. it came back after the 5-hour drive home once I had to start doing stop/go city driving.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
Stock?
[Local Team Member]

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-majik View Post
WE changed my front center diff and trans fluid a bit over a month ago.

I?? Let me fix that for ya

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Official Sponsor:

Stock? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2011, 12:18 PM   #6
blk-majik
[Local Team Member]

lol, very true thx again dude!
Old 03-28-2011, 08:20 PM   #7
bigstakk
Forum Lackey

One possibility is that it could be your transmission transfer case. Happened to me a few weeks ago and just got my car back recently and that was my problem. I had squeeling coming from the front tire areas. Fortunately, warranty covered it. Might want to look into this.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:17 AM   #8
blk-majik
[Local Team Member]

any ideas?
Old 03-29-2011, 04:06 AM   #9
KickAss
[X Performance Mod]
[Racing Mod]
[Local Team Member]

Damn! Is it coming from the front for sure? You probably know this already, a lot of these noises could be originating somewhere else and just getting transmitted through the drivetrain causing you to think its the diff etc. Since the frequency initially goes up with speed, I am tempted to think that maybe your pads are worn too much and they are rubbing against your rotor. Or, your brake shoes in the rear drums may be pushing a little more than they should against the drum housing.

I'm just trying to rule out the easiest ones before assuming the worst. Check this if you haven't already.
KickAss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2011, 12:49 PM   #10
blk-majik
[Local Team Member]

the pads have over an inch of meat left on them im not on the stock calipers, and the current setup is free-floating. there's a spring between the two pads that pushes them apart so they don't rattle when you're not on the brakes. The spring on the front driver caliper broke a few months ago and i never bothered replacing it since it wasn't rattleing.

This doesn't sound like a rattle, but everything else still suggest brakes. I'll swap out to my street pads this week. If that clears it up, then problem solved. Still, sounds a bit odd for a brake noise. Maybe its just wishful thinking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement