Front diff or axle loud squeal at low speed? - Page 2 - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Transmission & S-AWC System
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Transmission & S-AWC System Discussion for transmission, axle, driveshaft, and related systems that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:54 PM   #11
lallen3
Forum Addict

That noise is brakes.
lallen3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2011, 02:01 PM   #12
byebye
[CEEvo Treasurer]

Yeah I say brakes as well. Used to do this on one of my cars and I found the brake pad was worn down to the metal and was only audible at low speeds. I think the spring problem may be part of the cause of the sound.

lol!!! "how ****ed up is that any ideas?"

Kris
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2011, 02:06 PM   #13
KickAss
[X Performance Mod]
[Racing Mod]
[Local Team Member]

If it is the brakes, you may be hear the noise even when you turn the wheel by hand when the car is jacked up and in neutral. Try it on all 4 wheels to rule out ANY brake issues.
KickAss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 03:53 PM   #14
bsquad
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-majik View Post
the pads have over an inch of meat left on them im not on the stock calipers, and the current setup is free-floating. there's a spring between the two pads that pushes them apart so they don't rattle when you're not on the brakes. The spring on the front driver caliper broke a few months ago and i never bothered replacing it since it wasn't rattleing.

This doesn't sound like a rattle, but everything else still suggest brakes. I'll swap out to my street pads this week. If that clears it up, then problem solved. Still, sounds a bit odd for a brake noise. Maybe its just wishful thinking
Listening to the vid and reading this I would guess that with that retainer spring between the pads broken, it sounds like when you are not on the brakes, the pad is leaning against the rotor causing the rubbing noise. Then when you apply brake pressure, it straightens out and goes away.
bsquad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2011, 04:10 PM   #15
blk-majik
[Local Team Member]

yea, thats my guess. seems obvious now, but when it first started happening, it was literally 20 mins after I had my new wheels and tires installed. I assumed it was tire rub, fixed all that with no luck. Then thought maybe the wheel was flexing a bit and rubbing the caliper, but no marks on the wheel or caliper. Then though the wheel inside edge might be rubbing the strut... again, no rubbing marks after pulling the wheels.

Maybe the timing was just a coincidence, maybe it has something to do with the new wheels altering the airflow in the wheel well, who knows I'll try to swap the pads out tonight and put a new spring in to see if that clears it up.
blk-majik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 05:40 AM   #16
blk-majik
[Local Team Member]

finally got to swapping pads out and replacing the broken spring today. Seems like that was the problem Took it for about a 20 min test drive to bed the street pads back in and the noise was non-existent! I love it when potentially huge and costly problems end up being simple and free to fix
blk-majik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 05:56 AM   #17
Demon X
[Local Team Member]
aka JDAVID-EVO X

Wow that noice is terrible lol good thing you figured that one out

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

E85ARMY/Baka Unchi tuned

R.I.P M.LOMKER
Demon X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #18
byebye
[CEEvo Treasurer]

Nice!

Kris
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 03:36 PM   #19
bsquad
Just Spooling Up

Nice, man! Glad it wasn't something major!
bsquad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2011, 05:04 AM   #20
jackfrog
X-phile

i found the same problem recently, had the car checked today and my guy told me it sounds from front diff/axle..but we are not sure.

the noise can only be noticed at very low speed, going straight or reverse, it happens after driving a while, the noise is very very hard to notice in my case, and it sounds like rubbing... but i am so sure it was not from tires.

i changed new pads about three weeks ago, car is a MR, only DD, about 23k miles on it. i cant understand why it comes from the brakes? what should i do now?
Advertisement