manifold heat shield - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X General
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X General General discussion on the 2008+ Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X

Old 02-14-2019, 02:24 AM   #1
10fold

manifold heat shield

So I recently installed an STM turboback exhaust and had some trouble getting the stock exhaust manifold heat shield back on. Are there any other heat shield options that would fit better with a downpipe similar to the ETS/STM design? I came across the Monster Sport titanium one which is pretty sexy (and titanium may be a better material for absorbing heat over the stock), but I'm not trying to drop $300 on a heat shield that may or may not fit. Any help would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2019, 05:47 PM   #2
CanEvo2012
Forum Addict

The idea of heat shield is not to absorb the heat, it will melt if it had to.. The idea is to reflect it back. I am not sure if any heat shields are better than others, just saying stock one is more pliable.

eTune by Chet Rickerman, the best mod really.

2012 PB GSR - 340 AWHP/338 TQ on a good day.
CanEvo2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2019, 07:07 PM   #3
Splattj

You can find Embossed Aluminum Heat Shield material on eBay and Amazon. It's basically the same stuff as the OEM shields but you have to form it to fit yourself. You would probably also have to attach it with stainless steel zip ties (and probably some grommets) vs. the OE bolt-on approach. It's a very cost effective option but not nearly as clean as a $300 purpose built product.

Something like this:
https://turbosource.com/pages/incone...-ordering-form
Splattj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 09:12 PM   #4
turismolover22
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splattj View Post
You can find Embossed Aluminum Heat Shield material on eBay and Amazon. It's basically the same stuff as the OEM shields but you have to form it to fit yourself. You would probably also have to attach it with stainless steel zip ties (and probably some grommets) vs. the OE bolt-on approach. It's a very cost effective option but not nearly as clean as a $300 purpose built product.

Something like this:
https://turbosource.com/pages/incone...-ordering-form
I don't believe the OEM heat shielding is aluminum. It is Inconel like what you posted.

For the ultimate in heat shielding, send your parts to ATP or TurboSource for heat shield wrapping. It keeps the bay temps lower than stock, keeps the heat in the exhaust, AND doesn't void your warranty like a fabric wrap would do.

Last edited by turismolover22; 02-14-2019 at 09:32 PM.
turismolover22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2019, 12:44 PM   #5
Splattj

Yeah, the Iconel stuff is the way to go if you can afford it. The Aluminum sheet would probably need to be air gapped a bit to be safe and probably wouldn't last as long.

All of that said, you should be able to bend up the OE pieces quite a bit. If you're running the stock manifold, you should be able to get the top bolted on and bend up the downpipe portion to still cover the exhaust.
Splattj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2019, 02:11 PM   #6
AiZ
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splattj View Post
Yeah, the Iconel stuff is the way to go if you can afford it. The Aluminum sheet would probably need to be air gapped a bit to be safe and probably wouldn't last as long.

All of that said, you should be able to bend up the OE pieces quite a bit. If you're running the stock manifold, you should be able to get the top bolted on and bend up the downpipe portion to still cover the exhaust.
I wanted to get a custom made one at a local metal fabrication shop but realized I might as well use my stock one and just bend the shit out of it. I have a MAP Cast with a MHI-18k and didn't want to go that route, but track temps are no joke with the manifold exposed the way it is now. I really like the Titanium one and could have bought it used for $180 but not sure it'd fit with my manifold.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AiZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2019, 03:36 PM   #7
10fold

Thanks for the replies - I was leaning more towards molding the stock shield and bolting it back on with the few attachment points that are on the manifold. I also came across some Turbomotiv OEM/MAP manifold blankets and stock frame turbo blankets. Somewhat pricey for both, but at least I can re-use the turbo blanket if I upgrade the turbo in the future (it's my daily, so I don't really plan on going much larger than an 18k if I do). They also make a blanket for tubular manifolds as well. Does anyone have any experience with manifold or turbo blankets?
Old 02-15-2019, 08:01 PM   #8
AiZ
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10fold View Post
Thanks for the replies - I was leaning more towards molding the stock shield and bolting it back on with the few attachment points that are on the manifold. I also came across some Turbomotiv OEM/MAP manifold blankets and stock frame turbo blankets. Somewhat pricey for both, but at least I can re-use the turbo blanket if I upgrade the turbo in the future (it's my daily, so I don't really plan on going much larger than an 18k if I do). They also make a blanket for tubular manifolds as well. Does anyone have any experience with manifold or turbo blankets?
Oh, I had no idea they made those - thanks for sharing. I guess I'll add it to my list of things to keep an eye out for.

But for $200, I think a custom Iconel heat shield like posted above is a better investment. If you look through the build thread for Razorlab's racecar build and flip back a few pages you'll see what a sick job they did for his turbo kit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AiZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2019, 02:10 PM   #9
TSX101

you can always just wrap it or have it ceramic coated if you're feeling fancy
TSX101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement