Mivec exhaust cam problem - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Engine (4B11T)
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Engine (4B11T) Discussion for engine systems that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:38 PM   #1
mantella
X-phile

Mivec exhaust cam problem

When the engine warms up at idle the exhaust cam is going to -26 degrees and causing it to loose vacumn and stall. I can unplug the solenoid and per evoscan it will sit around minus 6-8 degrees and stay there. with it plugged in after warming up it will drop to around 26. i just had the engine apart and Know the cams did not have this problem a few months ago. I swapped the solenoid with no change and going to try the cam sensor to night just because i have one. I was wondering if any one else has had a similar problem and if so how did they fix it? I am curious if there is anyway to clean the cam gear passages with out pulling the cams incase maybe some debris got in it. There was no filter for the mivec control which the screen is now readded to it but it did not start the problem till recently.

Last edited by mantella; 10-31-2011 at 10:19 PM.
mantella is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2011, 10:21 PM   #2
mantella
X-phile

I just swapped out the cam sensor and no change. Whle driving the cams match where the should be or close but idle it goes screwy.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:15 PM   #3
hollywood_X
[E-Tuner]

If you had an oil pressure gauge you may see an issue.
Is your motor stock?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
hollywood_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 12:51 AM   #4
mantella
X-phile

10psi at idle and 55-60 at 3500. does anyone know the value it shows in evoscan for exhaust cam timing when the acuator is unplugged? so far swapped out cam sensor, solenoid and cam gear, checked cam bearings, reflashed to a older rom i had. unplugged it reads about 3.25 degrees actual. plugged in in evoscan shows up to -22. to make it more confusing the mitsubishi mut3 shows the cam is going advance and not retarding but just sticking with evoscan data.

Last edited by mantella; 11-02-2011 at 02:26 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:35 AM   #5
gunzo
[Gearhead]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantella View Post
10psi at idle and 55-60 at 3500. does anyone know the value it shows in evoscan for exhaust cam timing when the acuator is unplugged? so far swapped out cam sensor, solenoid and cam gear, checked cam bearings, reflashed to a older rom i had. unplugged it reads about 3.25 degrees actual. plugged in in evoscan shows up to -22. to make it more confusing the mitsubishi mut3 shows the cam is going advance and not retarding but just sticking with evoscan data.
0 degree actual .. mut3 is correct..

mivec is disabled below 1133rpms and 77degreesC (I think)
You've been warned.
Sent with GalaxyTab 10.1 I/O
gunzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2011, 07:13 AM   #6
Beeble
Forum Lackey

But by "disabled" ... it's actually running full advance at idle (0 degrees)
wth low/no oil pressure it will run full retard

is that correct boffins??

Beeble is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2011, 01:27 PM   #7
hollywood_X
[E-Tuner]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeble View Post
But by "disabled" ... it's actually running full advance at idle (0 degrees)
wth low/no oil pressure it will run full retard

is that correct boffins??
Yes no oil pressure = -35* (Full retard)

Old 11-06-2011, 10:26 PM   #8
mantella
X-phile

Just as a update I never did really figure this problem out but it seems to be working now. I pulled the head and found no problems, pulled the pan and checked oil pump clearances, swapped out cam gears which helped a little, blew out oil passages, repulled the pan and checked rod clearances, replaced the oil pressure relief valve, swapped cam sensors and solenoids. I found out the oil pressure gauge i had used was messed up so i installed one to leave in the car now. 20-22 psi idle. Either it had something lodged somewhere or it was heat from the downpipe causing the exhaust cam to go funky.
On the bright side i pmd a person who had a mivec problem caused by a dirty screen and he just pulled the plug in the head and used compressed air to blow it out.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:34 PM   #9
gixxer
X-phile

how much oil pressure are you supposed to have at idle?

Oem specs says abouve 4.5psi but how much above 4.5psi is good?

At 10psi were you having problems?
Complete engine build 2.2L with FP Black/Alpine sound system / /RallyArmor Mudflaps/TVM shortshifter/Girodisc stage 1/AEM analog boost & AFR gauges/Synchronic BOV/AMR coilovers / xMR dual oil catch cans / Akuma cam gear / Grimmspeed EBC / MAPerformance oil cooler - rev 2 intake + exhaust manifold ceramic coated black -
gixxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2011, 10:45 PM   #10
hollywood_X
[E-Tuner]

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer View Post
how much oil pressure are you supposed to have at idle?

Oem specs says abouve 4.5psi but how much above 4.5psi is good?

At 10psi were you having problems?
The 4.5 is for the stock clearances and cams etc. I have been working with A LOT of people having similar issues and the data seems to be piling up. I hope to be posting a bit of an email tonight to put some light on this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement