Mivec exhaust cam problem - Page 2 - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Engine (4B11T)
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Engine (4B11T) Discussion for engine systems that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:22 PM   #11
gixxer
X-phile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_X View Post
The 4.5 is for the stock clearances and cams etc. I have been working with A LOT of people having similar issues and the data seems to be piling up. I hope to be posting a bit of an email tonight to put some light on this.
I can not wait to read up on this !

What type of oil pressure should you have on a rebuilt engine at idle once the engine is warm ?

I met someone with an Evo 9 and he has a rebuilt engine, oil pressure at cold start was about 80 psi and when it warmed up it went down to 40 psi.

Thanks !
Complete engine build 2.2L with FP Black/Alpine sound system / /RallyArmor Mudflaps/TVM shortshifter/Girodisc stage 1/AEM analog boost & AFR gauges/Synchronic BOV/AMR coilovers / xMR dual oil catch cans / Akuma cam gear / Grimmspeed EBC / MAPerformance oil cooler - rev 2 intake + exhaust manifold ceramic coated black -

Last edited by gixxer; 11-07-2011 at 12:31 AM.
gixxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2011, 12:38 AM   #12
gunzo
[Gearhead]

Quote:
Yes no oil pressure = -35* (Full retard)
wrong .. no oil pressure is full advance ..
You've been warned.
Sent with GalaxyTab 10.1 I/O
gunzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 12:42 AM   #13
hollywood_X
[E-Tuner]

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunzo View Post
wrong .. no oil pressure is full advance ..
I just posted a thread on this, monitor both and see where your cam timing goes when oil pressure drops.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
hollywood_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 01:20 AM   #14
gunzo
[Gearhead]

Quote:
I just posted a thread on this, monitor both and see where your cam timing goes when oil pressure drops.

what you see is not what you get
You've been warned.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:42 AM   #15
mantella
X-phile

yes that was confusing me at 1st then i relized that my full advanced was others full retard so i have to remeber to stick with ecuflash/ cobb/ evoscan data values and not actual.
mantella is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 01:28 AM   #16
gunzo
[Gearhead]

Quote:
just make sure we're singing on the same sheet of music

Intake = max retard at start
Exhaust = max advance at start

not affected by oil pressure since its mechanical stop ..
You've been warned.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:45 AM   #17
mantella
X-phile

I never did post what all ifound that caused this. 1st the gauge i was using was wrong it had been hooked to a auto trans at work so read wrong and to low. i installed a gauge now and 21 psi at 900 rpms. 1 problem was i had a exhuast leak at the downpipe to the turbo which was small but caused extra heat on the exhuast cam solenoid making it act funny. after fixing the leak it made it better but not all fixed but i did verify the problem by putting a temp head shield there and it worked. so after fixing that. I did the stuff above like checking clearances and passages but no luck and the problem went away. I forgot that I had raised the idle to 935 to solve it. The main problem apears to be the valve springs 85 supertech dual valve springs are just alot stiffer from the factory causing issues. So raising the idle a little was enough to stabilze it.
mantella is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 08:31 PM   #18
AkumaMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunzo View Post
just make sure we're singing on the same sheet of music

Intake = max retard at start
Exhaust = max advance at start

not affected by oil pressure since its mechanical stop ..
This is only partially correct. The cams are designed to default to 0 on both cams in a resting state. However, they rely on oil pressure to do so. The EX cam has a helper spring to keep the cam in a neutral, or 0 deg state at idle. WHen you have a heavier spring, larger cams and lower oil pressure at idle, the Ex Cam can not stay in the '0' position and falls to -30deg.

John
AkumaMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 09:02 PM   #19
hollywood_X
[E-Tuner]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaMotorsports View Post
This is only partially correct. The cams are designed to default to 0 on both cams in a resting state. However, they rely on oil pressure to do so. The EX cam has a helper spring to keep the cam in a neutral, or 0 deg state at idle. WHen you have a heavier spring, larger cams and lower oil pressure at idle, the Ex Cam can not stay in the '0' position and falls to -30deg.

John
Exactly! What is supposed to be only applies to a stock engine.
At idle the car is fighting to get back to zero do to the stiffer internals. The dinky spring and minimal oil pressure just can't make that happen.

hollywood_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2013, 11:57 PM   #20
Hiboost
Forum Lackey

Just had a set of Cosworth MX-1 cams installed and while the car idles like a champ after a few tweaks, as soon as the MIVEC kicks in above idle the exhaust cam wants to retard an extra -15 if I rev to 2k rpms. At idle both the intake and exhaust cams match target to actual so it appears something MIVEC related is wrong.

I'm going to go out and test if the exhaust cam has issues while under 5 / 10 /15 psi boost or if it's only cruise and off boost. Hopefully something simple but since I haven't researched it heavily yet I'm going to continue my search for an answer.

2011 Octane Blue Evo X MR
Best 1/4 Mile ET & Speed: 11.677 @ 119.06
STM Mustang Dyno: 390 whp / 360 wtq

2017 Global Time Attack - Limited AWD Class
2nd - Road Atlanta

2017 CSCS Time Attack - Street AWD Class
1st - Mosport DDT 1:38.391 (Record)
1st - TMP 1:17.644 (Record)
1st - TMP Reverse 1:23.944 (Record)
1st - Shannonville 1:59.748 (Record)
Hiboost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links