Lighting Accessories - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Community > Photography & Photo Editing
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Photography & Photo Editing General discussion and critiquing of photography, equipment, and editing techniques.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:07 AM   #1
Kooldino
Dino
[Approved Merchant]
[Local Team Member]

Lighting Accessories

Sometimes when I'm shooting a subject indoors, the lighting isn't what it needs to be.

I have a nice flash, but the light it produces is too hard. I need some kind of softbox or some kind of soft lighting solution.

I generally shoot from at least 6' away. I was looking at something like this, but I was wondering a few things...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...rella_Kit.html

1. What kind of distance would something like this be effective at?
  2. Stupid question - How do I aim the light? Should the rear of the bulb be facing the subject, so the light bounces off of the umbrella? Or should the light be aimed at the subject, using the umbrella as a softener?
Kooldino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2010, 04:10 AM   #2
Kooldino
Dino
[Approved Merchant]
[Local Team Member]

A similar setup:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ten_Light.html
Old 12-03-2010, 10:23 PM   #3
Kooldino
Dino
[Approved Merchant]
[Local Team Member]

Old 12-04-2010, 05:34 AM   #4
Kooldino
Dino
[Approved Merchant]
[Local Team Member]

Looks like the rear of the bulb faces the subject:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/strobe-usage.htm
Old 12-04-2010, 06:38 AM   #5
farhaded

Actually, the image of the umbrella you show is a shoot-through type umbrella, therefore you shoot the light through the umbrella at your subject (opposite of what you suggested).

If the umbrella has a reflective surface in it, i.e. black or white umbrella with silver/gold/etc. lining inside, then you shoot the light as it reflects from the shiny surface inside. (as you suggested).

Larger the diameter of the umbrella, greater the "source" of light, more the diffused light on the subject. Similarly, closer the umbrella to the subject, larger the source of light, more diffused, and "rounded" the light.... obviously, as you get closer to the subject, you dial down the power of the light to maintain the correct exposure.

The above is simplifying the whole process, but thats the short of it... if you tell me what you're shooting, I could be more helpful.

Farhad
farhaded is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2010, 04:02 PM   #6
Kooldino
Dino
[Approved Merchant]
[Local Team Member]

Thanks for the info.

I'd mostly be using this to shoot people indoors, cars indoors, or people with cars indoors.

I read that strobes are for photography and continuous lights are for video, however the continuous lights are WAY cheaper. What are the disadvantages of using continuous lights for photography?
Old 12-04-2010, 07:54 PM   #7
farhaded

Umbrellas are fine for shooting people indoors... for a car... god damn you'd need a lot of umbrellas.

Shooting cars indoors is not easy, and for soft/diffused light you'd need a really large softbox(es). You could use smaller light sources for shots which have a more "accent lit" look. Cars are objects that are used outdoors, so outdoor photoshoots do tend to work better imo. Indoor car shoots are best left to the professionals with pro gear imo.

As far as shooting people is concerned, that is a lot easier, in fact there are a number of tutorials that you can purchase/read about that will explain this in as much detail as you wish. In short, 2 flash + 2 umbrellas would be a great starter setup as you'd have quite a few creative options. Throw in some reflectors, etc. and your options multiply.

I would say start by practicing the classic lighting techniques (rembrandt, hairlight, etc) and take it from there.

Regarding the difference in lights, typically video ligts are less powerful than studio strobes, as stills are usually shot at 1/200 or so second, and need a more intense light source as against video which is shot at much longer shutter speeds. Having said that if you're gonna concentrate on people and this is a hobby only, you dont need strobes, flash is sufficient.

Farhad
farhaded is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2010, 06:18 PM   #8
Kooldino
Dino
[Approved Merchant]
[Local Team Member]

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhaded View Post
Umbrellas are fine for shooting people indoors... for a car... god damn you'd need a lot of umbrellas.

Shooting cars indoors is not easy, and for soft/diffused light you'd need a really large softbox(es). You could use smaller light sources for shots which have a more "accent lit" look. Cars are objects that are used outdoors, so outdoor photoshoots do tend to work better imo. Indoor car shoots are best left to the professionals with pro gear imo.
Ouch.

Quote:
As far as shooting people is concerned, that is a lot easier, in fact there are a number of tutorials that you can purchase/read about that will explain this in as much detail as you wish. In short, 2 flash + 2 umbrellas would be a great starter setup as you'd have quite a few creative options. Throw in some reflectors, etc. and your options multiply.
Tell me more.

Can you link me to a tutorial?

Quote:
I would say start by practicing the classic lighting techniques (rembrandt, hairlight, etc) and take it from there.
I don't know what either of those mean.

<--noob

Quote:
Regarding the difference in lights, typically video ligts are less powerful than studio strobes, as stills are usually shot at 1/200 or so second, and need a more intense light source as against video which is shot at much longer shutter speeds. Having said that if you're gonna concentrate on people and this is a hobby only, you dont need strobes, flash is sufficient.
I have the Nikon 600 flash for my camera.

If I use that in conjunction with the pair of umbrellas I linked, would that suffice?
Old 12-06-2010, 08:53 PM   #9
on2it
Dr. Evo?

the brother inlaw is a pro. He has quite a large studio but I have never ever seen him shoot models or objects from more than 3-5 meters away (in the studio with lighting).. the effective distance seems to be determined the intensity of the light source or the muting put around it. His studio is probably 10X15m
I'm sure there is a formula for shooting distance and light source type and intensity.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current|HKS UICP|HKS Filter|HKS racing suction pipe kit|Modified Stock Exhaust|EcuTek FQ360 tune|ETS 3.5FMIC|Swift Springs|ACT ME-HDSS|ACT Streetlite Flywheel|
Installing
|FIC 1100cc injectors|K27 Surgetank kit+ Bosch044|
To Come
|BB FPGreen|Kelford Cams|Perrin3port|Perrin Bov|Tomei FPRegulator |Tomei FP guage|
on2it is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2010, 08:55 PM   #10
hotdog
Dr. Evo?

I find candy helps the subjects stay still during shooting.

That, and duct tape.
Advertisement