HELP: Quick Release steering wheel NIGHTMARE - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X General
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X General General discussion on the 2008+ Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X

Old 05-09-2019, 11:17 PM   #1
EvoXDave998
n00b

HELP: Quick Release steering wheel NIGHTMARE

Hey guys!

I have tried looking up youtube videos and searching on the fourms and I cant seem to figure out exactly how to fix the issues I've been having. I'm hoping theres enough people on here with experiene with quick release wheels / aftermarket wheels I can solve the problems.

I got a NRG CF flatbottom steering wheel with NRG quick release and hub. All the issues started when I went to install. After taking out the middle 17mm nut on the stock wheel, I went to pull the stock wheel off. As many of you know the stock wheel is pretty hard to take off, so I had to pull really hard.

Once it finally came off, because I was pulling so hard it flew off. When the stock wheel finally came off, it took the clockspring with it. The clock spring was cracked and the ribbon sprayed out everywhere in my lap, obviously it was broken. I crammed the clock spirng back in as best I could and bolted the quick release wheel down on top. I took it for a drive and noticed a few things.

I had a ton of lights on: Traction control light, 4WD maintenance light, ASC light, Airbag system service required light, and my horns did NOT work. I assumed this was all because my clock spring was broken. Also, the wheel was tilted slightly to the right when driving straight even though it seemed I had torqued the hub on straight.

I took my car to the dealership to replace the clock spring assuming this would fix my issues. They replaced the clock spring with a brand new one, however when I went to pick my car up all the issues listed above were still present except the ABS light was now on and flashing, and "dinging" every couple seconds. Also the wheel is almost at a 45 degree angle to the LEFT when im driving striahgt, so it seems I need an alignment now. I was told by the dealership that I had to order new resistors for the airbag sensor to "close the circut" so they could get rid of the codes and get everything to work. This made sense because when I went to install the wheel with the resistors supplied, one of the ends on one resistor was frayed and messed up.

I ordered new airbag resistors from NRG. When they arrived I plugged all 4 ends into the 4 smaller holes on the yellow airbag sensor like I saw online multiple people do. This didnt change anything, and the ABS light did not go away, nor any of the other lights. I took my car back to the dealership as they offered to try and calibrate my angle sensor and work out all the issues now that I put the resitors on.

The dealer called me today saying the brand new NRG resistors I put in don't seem to work, its still coming up as a "open circut" and the angle sensor says its off a few degrees regardless how the turn the wheel or try to calibrate it.

They basically told me they think they need to replace the angle sensor, but until I figure out how to make the resitors work they can't know for sure, and they are in over their heads because they don't work with aftermarket parts much.

So what do you guys think? how do I get rid of all these lights? how do I get my horns to work? Do I need a new angle sensor? is my brand new clock spring possibly messed up? is there a simple solution I am just overlooking? am I f'd? haha any tips or experiences you guys have that might help me out would be apprecited, I just want my dash to be clear again, be able to use my horns, and drive in a striaght line without my wheel turned haha!
EvoXDave998 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement