Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Recall: 2008 Evo X- Airbag Sensors

10K views 25 replies 21 participants last post by  prack7 
#1 ·
Mitsubishi recalls nearly 30k 2008-2009 Lancer/Lancer EVO models over airbag sensors

Mitsubishi Evo X - Click above for high-res image gallery

Potential corrosion of the front impact airbag sensor has prompted the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to recall up to 29,353 2008-2009 Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution models. NHTSA is concerned that long-term exposure to a mixture of melted snow and salt thrown up by other vehicles on the road may cause the wintery mixture to adhere to the front impact sensor and lead to corrosion over time. In the event of an accident or collision, a damaged sensor may short-circuit and delay airbag deployment possibly causing driver or passenger injury. The recall is currently limited to states where heavy road salt is used in the winter (i.e., Connecticut, New York, Wisconsin, etc...).

Mitsubishi dealers have been instructed to replace the airbag sensors with a redesigned model with improved corrosion resistance. Of course, the service will be performed at no charge. While the safety recall isn't scheduled to begin until November 27, 2009, owners may contact Mitsubishi Customer Relations at 888-648-7820, contact NHTSA's Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236, or visit NHTSA on the Internet at www.safercar.gov. Full press release after the jump.
PRESS RELEASE:

Vehicle Make / Model: 2008-2009
Model Year(s): MITSUBISHI / LANCER
MITSUBISHI / LANCER EVOLUTION

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V435000

Summary:

MITSUBISHI IS RECALLING MODEL YEAR 2008-2009 LANCER AND LANCER EVOLUTION VEHICLES ORIGINALLY SOLD IN OR CURRENTLY REGISTERED IN THE STATES OF CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, IOWA, KENTUCKY, MAINE, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, MISSOURI, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, VERMONT, VIRGINIA, WEST VIRGINIA, WISCONSIN AND DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA. IN AREAS WHERE HEAVY ROAD SALT IS USED IN THE WINTER, A LONG TERM EXPOSURE TO A MIXTURE OF MELTED SNOW WITH SALT THROWN UP BY THE OTHER VEHICLES ON THE ROAD MAY CAUSE A WATER-SALT MIXTURE TO ADHERE TO THE FRONT IMPACT SENSORS.

Consequence:

THIS COATING OVER TIME MAY CAUSE CORROSION OR THE SENSOR. IN THE EVENT OF A VEHICLES CRASH OF THE TYPE THAT WOULD DEPLOY THE AIRBAGS THIS TYPE OF SHORT-CIRCUIT MAY CAUSE A DELAY IN THE DEPLOYMENT OF THE AIRBAGS WHICH COULD RESULT IN DRIVER OR PASSENGER INJURY.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL INSTALL NEW FRONT AIRBAG SENSORS THAT HAVE IMPROVED CORROSION RESISTANCE. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR BEFORE NOVEMBER 27, 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT MITSUBISHI CUSTOMER RELATIONS DEPARTMENT AT 888-648-7820.

Notes:

OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

See less See more
#13 · (Edited)
And you are happy about this? Take my car up to the snow frequently (lake tahoe) and would not like to know that an important sensor (airbag) could become damaged...:wallbash:

Think its bullsheit to be quite honest that this is a regional specific recall...if its an issue, its an issue. FIX IT, regardless of where the customer is located.:waiting:

#10 ·
Huh, I guess I never noticed. I've only spent one winter there and that was a while ago. Lucky...I hate road salt. I'm gonna buy a crappy jeep or truck so I can store my evo.

#11 ·
jesus not another visit. i just did the fuel line... now this. ugh

#16 ·
Just had this done-I was at the dealer getting my Blizzaks and winter wheels switched to the car. I had to go back because the TPMS didn't re-set.
Luckily, the parts manager passed me in the service bay and had seen my car outside and told me about the recall and that he just got the parts in stock for it. Nice guy-I wouldn't have known otherwise.

It didn't take too long to do, so those in salty places should go for it.

#17 ·
Hey HR2L cant you go to your dealer about the recall work anyway. Yes it states specific states/regions but the final reason is for road salt which it sounds like you drive in on trips to lake tahoe. I would talk to your dealer if you havent already.

#18 ·
How long did the recall take? does it need to remove front bumper?

#25 ·
Got mine in the mail today too. I LOVE going to my dealership, because Fred Beans Parts is 100 yards down the road and I can go window shop while I wait. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.