Recall: 2008 Evo X- Airbag Sensors - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X News
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X News Official news on the Evo X to be posted here

Old 11-17-2009, 11:49 PM   #1
will3ptman
Just Spooling Up

Recall: 2008 Evo X- Airbag Sensors

Mitsubishi recalls nearly 30k 2008-2009 Lancer/Lancer EVO models over airbag sensors

Mitsubishi Evo X - Click above for high-res image gallery

Potential corrosion of the front impact airbag sensor has prompted the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to recall up to 29,353 2008-2009 Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution models. NHTSA is concerned that long-term exposure to a mixture of melted snow and salt thrown up by other vehicles on the road may cause the wintery mixture to adhere to the front impact sensor and lead to corrosion over time. In the event of an accident or collision, a damaged sensor may short-circuit and delay airbag deployment possibly causing driver or passenger injury. The recall is currently limited to states where heavy road salt is used in the winter (i.e., Connecticut, New York, Wisconsin, etc...).

Mitsubishi dealers have been instructed to replace the airbag sensors with a redesigned model with improved corrosion resistance. Of course, the service will be performed at no charge. While the safety recall isn't scheduled to begin until November 27, 2009, owners may contact Mitsubishi Customer Relations at 888-648-7820, contact NHTSA's Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236, or visit NHTSA on the Internet at www.safercar.gov. Full press release after the jump.
PRESS RELEASE:

Vehicle Make / Model: 2008-2009
Model Year(s): MITSUBISHI / LANCER
MITSUBISHI / LANCER EVOLUTION

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V435000

Summary:

MITSUBISHI IS RECALLING MODEL YEAR 2008-2009 LANCER AND LANCER EVOLUTION VEHICLES ORIGINALLY SOLD IN OR CURRENTLY REGISTERED IN THE STATES OF CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, IOWA, KENTUCKY, MAINE, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, MISSOURI, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, VERMONT, VIRGINIA, WEST VIRGINIA, WISCONSIN AND DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA. IN AREAS WHERE HEAVY ROAD SALT IS USED IN THE WINTER, A LONG TERM EXPOSURE TO A MIXTURE OF MELTED SNOW WITH SALT THROWN UP BY THE OTHER VEHICLES ON THE ROAD MAY CAUSE A WATER-SALT MIXTURE TO ADHERE TO THE FRONT IMPACT SENSORS.

Consequence:

THIS COATING OVER TIME MAY CAUSE CORROSION OR THE SENSOR. IN THE EVENT OF A VEHICLES CRASH OF THE TYPE THAT WOULD DEPLOY THE AIRBAGS THIS TYPE OF SHORT-CIRCUIT MAY CAUSE A DELAY IN THE DEPLOYMENT OF THE AIRBAGS WHICH COULD RESULT IN DRIVER OR PASSENGER INJURY.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL INSTALL NEW FRONT AIRBAG SENSORS THAT HAVE IMPROVED CORROSION RESISTANCE. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR BEFORE NOVEMBER 27, 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT MITSUBISHI CUSTOMER RELATIONS DEPARTMENT AT 888-648-7820.

Notes:

OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

Don't knock my Turbo Lag... It' gives your V8 a chance
will3ptman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2009, 12:33 AM   #2
marcinoctanex
Just Spooling Up

here we go again dealer visit...
marcinoctanex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2009, 12:48 AM   #3
Ti Carbon
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcinoctanex View Post
here we go again dealer visit...
yup im in NY

Old 11-20-2009, 12:50 AM   #4
Eyler_Evo_X
Cunning Linguist

Ohio here, I'll be paying them a visit.
I miss pre-mod Eyler. I say we start a campaign to return Eyler to his pre-mod glory, eloquent passes at me, random acts of empathy and grammar nazi-ing, while still modding. We'll call it Eyler: Back to Stock 2014. Yeah that will work. We need a movie poster of it.
Eyler_Evo_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2009, 12:52 AM   #5
joey
Dr. Evo?

This does not suprise me

Old 11-20-2009, 12:57 AM   #6
TRUSTcompany9000
Forum Addict

Wooo Colorado/California don't apply!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Get a How-To submitted
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Get in on our Monthly Contests right
TRUSTcompany9000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2009, 01:01 AM   #7
EvolvedGSR
Just Spooling Up

*Sighs* this is what i hate about new models

EvolvedGSR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2009, 01:02 AM   #8
Eyler_Evo_X
Cunning Linguist

Why wouldn't the do this recall in CO?
I miss pre-mod Eyler. I say we start a campaign to return Eyler to his pre-mod glory, eloquent passes at me, random acts of empathy and grammar nazi-ing, while still modding. We'll call it Eyler: Back to Stock 2014. Yeah that will work. We need a movie poster of it.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:04 AM   #9
TRUSTcompany9000
Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyler_Evo_X View Post
Why wouldn't the do this recall in CO?
They don't use salt on the roads there.

Get a How-To submitted

Get in on our Monthly Contests right
TRUSTcompany9000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2009, 01:09 AM   #10
Eyler_Evo_X
Cunning Linguist

Huh, I guess I never noticed. I've only spent one winter there and that was a while ago. Lucky...I hate road salt. I'm gonna buy a crappy jeep or truck so I can store my evo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement