Rotors, pads & brake lines suggestions in 2015? - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Wheels, Suspension & Brakes
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Wheels, Suspension & Brakes General discussion for wheels, tires, brakes, and suspension topics that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.
Sponsored by:
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2015, 07:30 AM   #1
Ramphex
Just Spooling Up

Rotors, pads & brake lines suggestions in 2015?

Alright so I've read through 100s of threads on here about rotors and pads. The only issue is, most of the threads are from 2010-2013 and most end up in debate of track pads vs street pads

I don't want to sound like a typical newbie, but I'm looking for suggestions that are up to date... As of today in 2015, what are the best STREET rotors, pads and also what are the suggestions on stainless steel lines and what is the best place to get these products from?

I don't track my car and don't need a $3000 big brake upgrade system, looking for stuff that is better than stock Brembo stuff. I've been more than happy with my stock Brembo brakes for the last 1.5 years but it has come to a point where my brake pads are down to a couple of millimeters and it's time to change them. I figured if I'm going to make a brake purchase, might as well purchase everything at once and upgrade while I'm at it.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2015, 07:23 PM   #2
Highgain10
Just Spooling Up

Rotors, pads & brake lines suggestions in 2015?

For street rotors I would do Centric premium series blank (plain) rotors, 120 or 125 series etc. The high carbon versions run about $90 a rotor for the fronts. Their premium series have a really nice e-coat that in Chicago winters holds up pretty well and looks far better than a rusty rotor hub. I've used them on several vehicle with good success. For braided ss brake lines almost anything will do. I raced on Technafit lines when I was running the stock Brembos with zero issues. Technafit lines are inexpensive and retain the factory hardline section on the fronts. I can't comment on street pads as I don't have much experience outside of track pads for the Evo. We've only got about 2000 miles on the clock since mine's been turned back into a street car hehe.
NASA Midwest CMC (Camaro Mustang Challenge) #221
-'84 Camaro (wheel to wheel)
Previous:
NASA Midwest Time Trials TTB #221
-Evo retired from racing and back to street duty with
a baby seat in the back (Yes, it's a Recaro)

Last edited by Highgain10; 05-28-2015 at 03:27 AM.
Highgain10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2015, 12:02 AM   #3
FrenziedTom
Just Spooling Up

I just bought the MAP stage 1 brake upgrade. Has technafit lines, gyrodisk magic pads, and motul brake fluid. I like it so far. But I also drive my car like a granny.

Swift spec R - 18x9.5 Silver RPF1 with 265/35/18 Pilot Super sports

2009 Harley Davidson Vrod Night Rod Special - Trask intercooled turbo kit
FrenziedTom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 05:40 AM   #4
Ramphex
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenziedTom View Post
I just bought the MAP stage 1 brake upgrade. Has technafit lines, gyrodisk magic pads, and motul brake fluid. I like it so far. But I also drive my car like a granny.
How is the performance comparing to stock? How much was it shipped?
Old 05-30-2015, 06:14 PM   #5
ak47m203
Dr. Evo?

You can get the high carbon Centric on all corners plus pads for $384 thru rock auto.
ak47m203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2015, 02:33 AM   #6
Ramphex
Just Spooling Up

What pads though? I'm looking to get better pads than stock, equivalent isn't an upgrade lol.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:40 AM   #7
Oni
X-phile

I always thought Girodisc rotors are the best price vs performance upgrade to our cars. And do the ss brake lines, I have Goodridge, and buy a better brake pad like Ferodo DS2500 or PMU HC+.
Tomei uicp
Blitz Nur Spec Cti
GrimmSpeed 3port
Blitz turbo inlet pipe +Blitz drop in
Goodridge SS brake lines
Mishimoto compact oil catch can
Dodson Sump
Rims TE37SL 18 9.5 +22
E-tune by Beeble.
Oni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2015, 06:35 AM   #8
pbevox
X-phile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenziedTom View Post

I purchased the MAP kit also. Good price for pads/SS lines/fluid. It was time to change my pads and I also wanted to get SS lines. I think everyone's opinion is going to be subjective regarding rotors/pads/lines. Personally, the Girodisc pads are horrible. Initial bite is well below the stock pads. These pads also suck in the rain. When you first press the pedal (while driving in the rain), it feels like you have no brakes. I also tried Stoptech pads. These are decent pads, but still less initial bite then the stockers. I am going for the DBA slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads when these are done. I had this setup on my STi, along with SS lines, and it felt/braked great. I haven't installed the SS lines that come in the kit yet, but what I like about the Technafit lines is that they keep the hardline that goes to the caliper. Some kits replace both lines.
Alot of people seem to like Ferodo pads. FYI - the stock pads are made by Ferodo.

K&N drop-in / Depo Racing turbo inlet hose / GrimmSpeed 3-port EBCS / Sakura UICP / SpeedCircuit resonated test pipe

E-Spec tuned: 305 whp / 325 ft-lbs

Last edited by pbevox; 06-03-2015 at 06:39 AM.
pbevox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2015, 07:15 AM   #9
Lightsaber
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni View Post
I always thought Girodisc rotors are the best price vs performance upgrade to our cars. And do the ss brake lines, I have Goodridge, and buy a better brake pad like Ferodo DS2500 or PMU HC+.
Agreed. Girodisc rotors are lighter (19.4 lbs vs stock 23.5 lbs front / 13.4 lbs vs stock 18.6 lbs rear) and also cool themselves better.

Nevertheless, I advise against buying Girodisc rotors for the street. A good set of pads and stainless steel brake lines, working with the stock Brembo and discs, should be plenty for street driving of any sort. You do not need aftermarket rotors for the street.
Lightsaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2015, 08:13 AM   #10
Oni
X-phile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsaber View Post
Agreed. Girodisc rotors are lighter (19.4 lbs vs stock 23.5 lbs front / 13.4 lbs vs stock 18.6 lbs rear) and also cool themselves better.

Nevertheless, I advise against buying Girodisc rotors for the street. A good set of pads and stainless steel brake lines, working with the stock Brembo and discs, should be plenty for street driving of any sort. You do not need aftermarket rotors for the street.
I am keeping the stock, but they will get used up, and when that happens I will buy a set of Girodiscs, because they have replacement rotors without the hub, and in the long run that is a good investment. Besides I am planing to track the car, so that is why I will buy a Dodson sump, wider rims and tires, sway bars, endlinks, etc. just to make my car really fast.
Tomei uicp
Blitz Nur Spec Cti
GrimmSpeed 3port
Blitz turbo inlet pipe +Blitz drop in
Goodridge SS brake lines
Mishimoto compact oil catch can
Dodson Sump
Rims TE37SL 18 9.5 +22
E-tune by Beeble.
Oni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement