RE71R Full Review: Dry/Wet Track & Street - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Wheels, Suspension & Brakes
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Wheels, Suspension & Brakes General discussion for wheels, tires, brakes, and suspension topics that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.
Sponsored by:
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2015, 11:39 PM   #1
No_Skillz
Just Spooling Up

RE71R Full Review: Dry/Wet Track & Street

After 10+ track days, 25,000 miles, my Michelin Pilot Supersports were finally ready to retire. No one doubts that the MPSS is a superb tire, but for my next set, I was ready to upgrade to something more aggressive. When I was doing research, I heard a lot in various forums about these being the "new hotness." Ok, we'll see. These are my impressions on Bridgestone's new RE71R, after 2 weeks of ownership, 600 street miles, and a 2-day track event with very challenging conditions.

This is also my first time running telemetry with a program called Harry's Lap Timer, so I am excited to share the data that I acquired.

Let's start with the basics: fitment.

Hardware:
RPF1 18x9.5 +15 fitted with 265/45/18s all around.
Ohlins RT with 1.25" drop front, 1" drop rear.
Fully rolled rear fender.
With this setup I needed to reshape front wheel well liners to avoid rubbing.
There is still rubbing on my mud flaps which I can live with. No adverse effects on the track.
In the rear, there are rare instances of rubbing on a big dip or when hitting a bump mid corner on the loaded side.

If you are reading this, you are probably interested foremost in performance, so let's go to the track.

The track day I attended was with Schattenbaum PCA this past weekend 11/7 to 11/8 at NJMP. We ran Thunderbolt both days. Being the last event of the season, there were a lot of attendees. I also found particularly challenging conditions. Therefore, it was hard to get a clean lap in, but I pushed where I could to get a baseline lap time in. With limited clean laps and challenging conditions, there will be lots of room to improve on these lap times.

Wet
The first day started damp and soon became soaked. The RE71Rs were awesome in the wet. Stable in a straight line and provided lots of confidence to go into the triple digits where I think other tires would have started hydroplaning. Similarly great traction under brakes. Loss of traction was very progressive, so it was easy to approach the limit on brake yet not fully lock up. With MPSS, there are times where lockup is very sudden in the wet and you really have to modulate pressure to get it back. In the corners, loss of traction was again very progressive. I found the best way to drive in these conditions was to brake hard at first, then transition to a gentle trail brake on turn in. This gently breaks the rear free, where I could get on the throttle and maintain a controlled, slight oversteer all the way through the turn. You can see how these perform here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24cnpfEwx5g

I think this captures the only lap with no traffic all day, which logged my personal best of 2:01:41.

Dry
The second day we finally saw some sun, and these tires really cut loose. Traction and response are a significant increase over the MPSSs. The RE71Rs have a stiffer sidewall, which provides better turn in and response. Additionally, they allowed me to run lower pressures than the MPSSs which I believe allowed more overall grip. In MPSSs, I used to run 38PSI hot, anything lower would start "rolling over" the tire and getting excessive wear where the tread blocks meet the sidewall. In the RE71Rs, I ran 35psi hot. Adjustments may make this better, but there was no abnormal wear like the MPSSs and I didn't have a pyrometer, so this is where I left them while I got acquainted to the tire. The traction mid corner is incredible and I don't think I consistently reached the limit with my baseline being the MPSSs. Maybe with more clean lapping I could explore the limits but that was limited at this event. Additionally, the MPSSs would get greasy after 2-3 hard laps and no amount of backing off could get them back. The RE71R got greasy after 6-7 hard laps, and I had to purposefully push them past the edge everywhere. A lap of backing off slightly and they would come back.

Here is a couple clean laps that I finally got in on the last session when most people went home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrwO4UWR5RM

Since there was really no traffic in the last session (I guess I really got what I asked for...), the track was very cold in the November weather. Also, due to the position of the sun, I couldn't see where I was going at some parts of the track! Still, logged a personal best of 1:34.88. I think there is lots of room for improvement here, as the low surface temps really changed the feel of the tire vs earlier in the day.

Lastly, Street
You may have read these tires make noise, but they are really not that bad. On the highway, I really have to pay attention to notice an increase in noise. It's actually at speeds from 30-50mph that exhibit the most noise. However, this is a low hum, which I easily can tune out. For perspective, I have an ETS Quiet Exhaust with HFC, and the tire noise is nothing compared to that. Additionally, road surfaces greatly affect the noise. Surprisingly, fresh pavement creates the most noise. It's also quite interesting to note that the Tirerack reviews were absolutely right and rolling over pavement patches sounds like duct tape being ripped up. These tires are very firm, which sharply transmits any bumps through the car. On Ohlins RT, these end up feeling "solid" rather than harsh. Be sure to pair these with a properly valved suspension system or it could be uncomfortable.

My opinion in summary - these tires turn the Evo X into a track monster that devours anything in it's way. The only car that passed me all event was a race prepped 911 on slicks, 400hp, 2400lbs dry weight, and crazy aero. On the street, there is a bit of a tradeoff for manners, but the increase in firmness and noise doesn't bother me and the increase in response is totally worth it. The last remaining question is tire life, which remains to be seen.

Last edited by No_Skillz; 11-11-2015 at 01:54 PM.
No_Skillz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2015, 01:06 AM   #2
JJwins
Just Spooling Up

I was NJMP on Sunday but on Lightning. On the same tires and at the same tire pressure. Your review couldnt be more spot on! Super tires for sure!

Btw unless there was another white Evo X we exited the track at the same time.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:08 AM   #3
VroomVroom

nice review. thanks for the info!
VroomVroom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 04:29 AM   #4
No_Skillz
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJwins View Post
I was NJMP on Sunday but on Lightning. On the same tires and at the same tire pressure. Your review couldnt be more spot on! Super tires for sure!

Btw unless there was another white Evo X we exited the track at the same time.
There were actually 3 white Evo Xs but that was indeed me. I remember you.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:45 AM   #5
razorlab

You had one set of PSS's last 20 track days?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
razorlab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2015, 08:31 AM   #6
rr14gsr
Forum Lackey

Nice review. I'm looking into maybe getting a different set of summer tires while the winters go back on the car. So far I was leaning towards the Dunlop z2 stars specs. I'll have to keep these in mind
rr14gsr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2015, 01:50 PM   #7
No_Skillz
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorlab View Post
You had one set of PSS's last 20 track days?
Typo. 10 track days. Nice catch. Original edited.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:05 PM   #8
AdhesiveTeflon
Forum Lackey

A friend of mine used the RE71rs for a rainy track day at GMR in Michigan and I was very very pleased at their grip as he overtook me :/
I've yet to lay my ears upon a Tomei but for anyone that has heard a ETS quiet which is what I came from, its about the same loudness until you go WOT, then the ETS screams like a bitch gettin in the ass for the first time whilst the akra is more akin to a 20 year old girl moaning and groaning loudly in your ear but in a sexy way. It's loud but you're loving every second of it.
AdhesiveTeflon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2015, 02:07 PM   #9
SlickNYC
Just Spooling Up

I really like threads like this. Useful information for all. Can we get a sidewall shot?
SlickNYC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2015, 02:11 PM   #10
razorlab

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Skillz View Post
Typo. 10 track days. Nice catch. Original edited.
Hell, even 10 days is a feat. I'm assuming you just started doing track days?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
razorlab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement