Does this look right to you? - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Wheels, Suspension & Brakes
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Wheels, Suspension & Brakes General discussion for wheels, tires, brakes, and suspension topics that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.
Sponsored by:
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2019, 09:23 PM   #1
TSX101

Does this look right to you?

I appologize in advance the car is filthy but nevermind that.
Is there something missing here?

Or is the ABS cable designed to kind of just sit there on the front spindle?

Is it normal for the metal brake line to just be suspended bearing the weight of this whole assembly?
The metal line keeps breaking, I bought Goodrich stainless steel brake lines, but up front they only replace the rubber lines, not the metal hardline to the caliper. Is there any brand SS line that go the whole way to the caliper?

Last edited by TSX101; 04-22-2019 at 12:38 PM.
TSX101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2019, 07:57 AM   #2
moladin
Just Spooling Up

It appears StopTech SS Brake Line will also replace the metal hard line as well.

https://www.maperformance.com/produc...nt=31755642179

Last edited by moladin; 04-19-2019 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Change vendor to MAP
moladin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2019, 12:33 PM   #3
TSX101

It seems to be the case, will try ordering the Stoptech lines, hopefully the goodrich lines can be refunded.
I appologize for the gigantic pictures initially, didn't have time to resize them on friday, but it should be sorted now.
Does everything look right?

Last edited by TSX101; 04-22-2019 at 12:39 PM.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:49 PM   #4
moladin
Just Spooling Up

Well...I’ll let you compare to my old
Pic when I did ohlins install. My car is still in the shop so I can’t take the most recent pic. That was installed in 2016, all stock brake lines.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EFB11708-F406-4270-A2FC-89884685B8D8_1555961962294.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	279728   Click image for larger version

Name:	8AD9CE1A-86BE-46B3-B446-F9CEFADDFEFF_1555962422722.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	279730   Click image for larger version

Name:	7D71EF49-C9F0-4E6D-B657-56639A76CEE4_1555962510862.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	279732  
Old 04-22-2019, 08:02 PM   #5
moladin
Just Spooling Up

Ok, from looking at your original pics, are you sure you have the hardline bracket bolt properly to the lower part of the coilover? There should be little to no movement for the hardline, if there is then that is probably why your hardline keeps breaking.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:28 PM   #6
TSX101

Yeah, so I didnt realize the braket is supposed to bolt to the back of the strut. After looking at it the other night I found that bolt holding that bracket in place behind the strut had snapped off on both sides. Hope fully a zip tie will do the job until I figure out that to do with these coilovers.

Thanks Moladin

Would anyone be able to chime in or have a picture of the ABS wire? Is that meant to be bolted/attached somwhere?
Old 04-24-2019, 01:48 AM   #7
turismolover22
Just Spooling Up

ABS wire is snapped into the plastic retainer on the spindle, and goes back to the wheel well

Brake lines are hard lines from the caliper. As mentioned, they are bolted to the strut lower by two bolts, one from a simple isolator type clamp on the hard line itself, and the second from a sub-assembly that holds the hard line and flexible line connection.

I would remove the strut assemblies and clean them on the bench and extract the broken bolts, and drill/tap for new ones as necessary. Its going to be much easier than trying to do so on the car.
turismolover22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2019, 12:27 AM   #8
moladin
Just Spooling Up

Before "TSX101" does all that, he will probably need to figured out how the bolts snapped on both sides. That is nearly impossible unless they were improperly mounted, as there should be little load on the brackets. The brackets are simply there to hold the brake lines in place.

My Ohlins doesn't have any place to hold the cable retainer for the ABS line, so I just leave it floating as seen on my pics. No wear on them as far as I can tell.

Good luck!
Old 05-27-2019, 02:10 PM   #9
TSX101

Quote:
Originally Posted by turismolover22 View Post
ABS wire is snapped into the plastic retainer on the spindle, and goes back to the wheel well

Brake lines are hard lines from the caliper. As mentioned, they are bolted to the strut lower by two bolts, one from a simple isolator type clamp on the hard line itself, and the second from a sub-assembly that holds the hard line and flexible line connection.

I would remove the strut assemblies and clean them on the bench and extract the broken bolts, and drill/tap for new ones as necessary. Its going to be much easier than trying to do so on the car.
It's possible they were over tightened, or just rusted and failed.
I unbolted the lower mount, rotated the strut body grinded down what was left of the bolt and welded on a new stud. We'll see how that holds up but have also installed new SS lines from stoptech so there will be less load on the bracket. I'll see how it holds up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement