AEM Failsafe Tested on Evo X - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X General
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X General General discussion on the 2008+ Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X

Old 03-26-2013, 04:48 AM   #1
UT_EvoX
Banned

AEM Failsafe Tested on Evo X

I had the opportunity to configure and calibrate a new AEM wideband failsafe unit on a customer car recently, and I'd like to share some details on the setup.

AEM failsafe configuration, just to give you an idea

Alarm delay: 150 ms
Alarm resets after: 3 seconds
Alarm action: output ground ON
Inputs: manifold pressure, wideband AFR - no engine RPM necessary

The approximate AFR ceiling above 15 psi is about 12.8 gasoline AFR on E85 fuel, which gives you a good buffer for lower gears. Actual AFR on this car is 12.0-11.6 gasoline ratio. I tapered the AFR ceiling down a bit above 29 PSI just in case there is an overboost condition.

ECU wiring:

Pin 115 of the ECU, as accessed through the driver's side door jamb run - I believe the wire is white with a black stripe according to the FSM. This is the fuel temperature sensor. With the correct configuration in EcuFlash/COBB ATR/ATP - Ground/Resister ADC, 4 - the ECU will mock out this signal for emissions purposes.

The pin 115 wire was disconnected on the sensor side (going to the fuel sender unit, between junction 3 and 6 in the wiring diagram below) and the ground output from the AEM unit (blue wire) was spliced in with a 270 ohm 1/2 watt resistor inline.

ECU configuration:

Alternate Map Master - 4 (Resistor/Ground ADC)
Alternate Map Load Threshold - 360 - this ceiling had to be set even though it should not apply to ADC map switching
Alternate Map Time to Activate - 10 ms - for maximum responsiveness
Alternate Map ADC Threshold - the default 2.0 V

In a nutshell, this configuration will allow the AEM unit to ground the pin 115 of the ECU during a failsafe alarm condition, as determined through the AEM unit calibration. With the given ECU configuration, this will cause the ECU to switch from map set 0 (normal map) to map set 1 (alt. map) within 10 ms. The AEM unit will wait 150 ms to confirm an alarm state (to prevent triggering during downshift, upshift, off throttle type scenarios), so a total delay after a dangerously lean condition is detected of 160 ms. This is as quick as a blink of an eye - literally.

After configuring all of the guts of the system, I did a bit of driving in different gears on the dyno while manually triggering the AEM Failsafe alarm via their software to verify that the intercooler sprayer light began to flash, signifying the map had been switched. Once verified, I did a full throttle dyno pull where I manually triggered the AEM Failsafe alarm as though a lean condition had occurred mid-pull. This is what this looks like on a dyno power plot:

As you can see, power is instantly reduced as the ECU switches maps to apply lower ignition advance, wastegate pressure (18 PSI spring) only, and a 15% richer mixture.

I hope this article gives some of the self-tuners out there some guidance on how to wire up this new product from AEM, as well as giving everybody a good idea as to how this thing can benefit any Evo X owner!

Last edited by UT_EvoX; 03-27-2013 at 12:03 AM.
UT_EvoX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 04:55 AM   #2
Frogstofall
Just Spooling Up

Your timing couldn't have been better. Putting mine in on Wednesday.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 OB GSR SSS
Frogstofall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013, 05:09 AM   #3
thycidides
X-phile

I've been waiting for someone to post something like this for some time. Why is the approximate cost for a professional install? Nice job on the post btw.
COBB front & rear sways
Rear Whiteline end links
Ohlins dampers
ATC Clutch
Upgraded bushings / roll center kit
RPF1 9.5 x 18 +15 - PSS 265x35
thycidides is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 05:12 AM   #4
UT_EvoX
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thycidides View Post
I've been waiting for someone to post something like this for some time. Why is the approximate cost for a professional install? Nice job on the post btw.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thanks, I'm glad to help.

I'm not sure what we billed for the install labor, but now that we've done one, I would think 1.5-2 hours and then an hour of dyno time to get it dialed in correctly.

We'd charge about $400 for the whole thing not including the gauge, and I'd imagine it would be in the same ballpark from other shops for the same exact work.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:42 AM   #5
KoukiMonster
Just Spooling Up

Awesome info man! Thanks..about time more info on this gauge came out. Mine just came in the mail today.

AEM ETS Works ColtSpeed HKS LatheWorks RedLineGoods GTWorx Enkei

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
KoukiMonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013, 06:22 AM   #6
KoukiMonster
Just Spooling Up

Question: Would it be possible for someone to wire this up to cut boost or throttle in case of a lean condition? As opposed to the alt map route.

AEM ETS Works ColtSpeed HKS LatheWorks RedLineGoods GTWorx Enkei

KoukiMonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013, 06:42 AM   #7
Frogstofall
Just Spooling Up

This may be a stupid question but...

Is that alternate map something that the ECU already has as its own optional map or is this something you setup in the tuning software?

Also, there is no purple wire on my Failsafe guage. I assume you meant the blue wire?

'08 OB GSR SSS
Old 03-26-2013, 07:52 AM   #8
Evo_Zero
Just Spooling Up

Cool stuff

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Evo_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #9
UT_EvoX
Banned

Re: AEM Failsafe Tested on Evo X

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoukiMonster View Post
Question: Would it be possible for someone to wire this up to cut boost or throttle in case of a lean condition? As opposed to the alt map route.
The alt. map that I utilized was programmed to command 0% wastegate duty cycle, which is as much of a boost cut as you can do.

This causes the wastegate to run at spring pressure, in this case with the MAP EF2.5, that's 18 PSI. It would be less on the stock wastegate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogstofall View Post
This may be a stupid question but...

Is that alternate map something that the ECU already has as its own optional map or is this something you setup in the tuning software?

Also, there is no purple wire on my Failsafe guage. I assume you meant the blue wire
The alt. map functionality is available through both TephraXMod modified stock ROMs and COBB AccessPort Beta maps. We used the latter.

And yes, I fixed that now thanks

Last edited by UT_EvoX; 03-26-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:18 PM   #10
Frogstofall
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by UT_EvoX View Post
The alt. map functionality is available through both TephraXMod modified stock ROMs and COBB AccessPort Beta maps. We used the latter.

And yes, I fixed that now thanks
Oh okay! I didn't realize Cobb had that ability. I will have to do some reading. Thanks!

'08 OB GSR SSS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement