Registered
565 Posts
ok guys i have Road&Track, MorotTrend and Car&Drive

all 3 magz. have different times
Car&Drive- ---- 0-60=4.6
Raod&Track---- 0-60=4.9
MortorTrent---- 0-60=5.2

whats the deal???????:wtfsign:
Different means of Testing and different conditions of tests man thats all...Id round i out to about 4.8 on a good day and 5.3 on a bad one with those numbers

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Surface, temperature, pressure, humidity, driver, willingness to beat on the clutch and tranny, all play a role. Do they try multiple launches and post the best time, or the average, or just do it once and call it a day?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Surface, temperature, pressure, humidity, driver, willingness to beat on the clutch and tranny, all play a role. Do they try multiple launches and post the best time, or the average, or just do it once and call it a day?
it doesnt say if they did a 1 shot try, i will take pic of the all the magz.
but the EVO wins the STI in all 3 magz. NOW if Car&Drive hit 4.6 sec
0-60 you mean to tell me its possble to do hit 4.6 ?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Then my Legacy GT 5MT can do 5.3s 0 to 60 mph because C&D said so, too. :)

I do agree, however, that if you look at all the tests and find the best performance number, then that is the best it can do, under the right conditions and driven the right way.

But, coming from an engineering background I have to question: how well controlled are these tests? What are the human and technical variables involved in measuring the start time, the speed, and the time at speed?

·
[Tom Cruise lookalike]
1,882 Posts
But, coming from an engineering background I have to question: how well controlled are these tests? What are the human and technical variables involved in measuring the start time, the speed, and the time at speed?
I would hope there are no human variables *pictures a guy with a stop watch* Should just be an in car electronic monitor that start as soon as the car moves and marks the time at 60mph, righto?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I would hope there are no human variables *pictures a guy with a stop watch* Should just be an in car electronic monitor that start as soon as the car moves and marks the time at 60mph, righto?
What kind of electronic monitor, and how does it know the speed of the vehicle? There are some GPS based devices that are notoriously WRONG!

Hey, you know those high speed runs they do out on the salt flats, they gotta do two runs in opposite directions and take the average as their highest speed, I guess to factor in wind, and maybe the Coriolis effect. :bowlol:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Why couldn't they use a stop watch connected to a radar gun. The watch could start as soon as the radar registered over 0mph and then stop as soon as it hit 60.

Or they could simply mount a camera pointed at the dash with a time stamp and then look at the tape to see when the car starts and when it hit's 60.

Neither require unreliable GPS.

Dan

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I have GPS tracking on my car. I wonder if I can track the figures better by switching that system on.. (??) Do you know which ones don't work well?
I've got a trackday next wednesday, will try it then.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.