Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got a serious suspension setup problem. i pretty much followed the recipe for improving the handling of the evo x. i did AMR coilovers with pillow ball and camber hats, 12k front swift springs and 10k eibach rears. both whiteline sways with perrin hiem links, whiteline front roll center kit, and a square 265/35r18 michellen PSS tire setup.

On loose surfaces, like snow covered tarmac, i cant change lanes faster than 25mph with out full rear grip loss as soon i start to turn the steering wheel. itll even break rear grip if i hit slush on one side and dry tarmac on the other. doesnt matter if ASC is fully on or off, although its slightly better fully on.

ive tried a lot of different things with little to no change. currently im running -1.5 front camber 0 toe and no rear camber. front dampers are slightly soft of full hard and full soft, rear is mid way btwn full hard full soft. so far that has worked best. but it still always breaks rear traction first. im considering unbolting the rear endlinks next time it snows. Anyone have opinions on that?

Basically im hoping i can get advice on reducing that snap oversteer and terrible grip on snow. i plan to buy some cheap 18's and run skinny snow tires in the future, just for snow driving. i should mention that the car is nearly at stock ride height aside from a slightly lower stance in front.

The car makes 498awhp and 476tq on 93pump, and a larger bb stock frame turbo on 24psi, and 9deg of ignition. its got the ppg longer final drive in the trans so each gear is like 9%longer, although power isnt the issue here.

i apologise if this is rambling, but the car is just dangerous in snow and im wondering if the alignment is to blame or if the suspension isnt working properly for snow.

any opinions would be awesome. i once had a stock evo x and it never had those problems.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have Michelin PSS tires. I haven't driven my car in the snow but heard that they are slippery and bad in winter conditions. It could be a combination of tire and suspension. Is your rear sway bar on the highest setting creating more of an oversteer situation?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have Michelin PSS tires. I haven't driven my car in the snow but heard that they are slippery and bad in winter conditions. It could be a combination of tire and suspension. Is your rear sway bar on the highest setting creating more of an oversteer situation?
Im def sure the tires are a big factor in the problem. as for the rear sway bar its on the middle of the three holes. i was just hoping (probably need different tires), that i could do something with the alignment, dampers, or sway bars to reduce the dangerous instability on slippery roads.

i do plan to buy some cheap 18's and run snow tires for the winter, but in the meantime, i just have to park it when theres snow, Otherwise, its gonna end up in a ditch or wrapped around a guardrail. if it was just a matter of driving slow and not making any sudden steering inputs, id be ok, but like i said i can be driving 35mph in an inch of snow, and when i attempt to change lanes, it looses rear grip instantly and goes into heavy oversteer that is super difficult to recover from.

ive even tried letting off the gas fully to change lanes and it still happens. basically, its uncontrollable in slippery conditions. even going straight, it sometimes randomly breaks loose a front tire and torque steers in that direction. all i can do is let off and wait for it to hook up again.

i think everyone is correct in saying its a combo of tires, and suspension stiffness. but, i thought maybe i could do something with what i have to improve the issue. thanks for the replies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts