Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of these are documented as gripes, but hopefully this will better quantify/explain them in their totality to prospective new buyers.

1.) Dealer network/Mitsubishi. It's been said many a times it leaves much to be desired, but my experience has been extreme. The Mitsu dealer I purchased mine from lied to me (about quite a bit) knew nothing about the car, didn't want to honor warranty claims off of a ONE day old, bone stock car, and all in all have been simply horrific to deal with - I won't bore you with the whining details, but after some research, I found this is not the exception, but the norm. I filed a complaint with Mitsubishi and they've been no better. Going on 2 weeks (I bought the car new on 12/31/11) and still no resolution. Buy this car fully anticipating piss poor support from the manufacturer.

2.) Rattles. Yes, its well documented the car will develop rattles, but what's not well documented is that you'll have multiple irritating/loud rattles before you've hit the 600 mile break in mark. I fully anticipate the rattles to get substantially worse over then next year or so, and they're not a light rattle you'd get after 5 years and 100K miles in a Camry, they're loud, tinny irritating rattles.

3.) Entry/exit. Folks have lightly mentioned the car isn't easy to get in and out of, but in REAL everyday usage, it's irritating - and this is coming from someone who owns a Lotus Elise (which admittedly is much worse). Taking it out for a test drive is one thing, but running errands and getting in/out of the racy recaros with elephantiasis-like bolsters 5-6 times in an hour is a drag. Keep in mind, these are probably the best seats i've ever experienced in a stock car... but the "cost" of that support isn't free. You'll also have to be careful how you plop down into them as you'll prematurely wear the seats as they have exaggerated contours or you'll put your full weight down on the bolsters which are structurally reenforced with metal and you'll literally break your rear. What most prospective buyers also don't foresee are the following conversations required for passengers 1.) how to get into the car and not sit on the bolster in the process and 2.) how they're too fat to sit in the passenger seat and need to be banished to the back seat. I'm 6'3 210 lbs and i'm really pushing the capacity of the recaro seat, it hugs me mighty tight. If I gained another 20 pounds, i'd simply be too fat for the car.

4.) The dungeon - AKA the rear seat. It's actually incredibly comfortable in the back seat and after adjusting the front seat to a comfortable position for my 6'3 figure, I can comfortably sit behind the driver seat and enjoy plenty of leg room, enough to be comfortable for a long road trip. With that out of the way, residing in the back seat is akin to being in a dungeon. The widow sill is set quite high, the doors are tiny (so it feels like you're squeezing into a hole getting in) and it creates a claustrophobic environment with the incredibly wide recaro's. On a sunny/bright day with lots of light in the cabin, most folks will be fine, but on a dark day, some folks might have a problem with it.

5.) The transmission. It no automatic. Sure, it's smooth for a dual clutch and it's better than any other dual clutch i've driven (from Ferrari to Nissan) but it isn't smooth, bumper to bumper traffic is pretty jerky and it holds gears way to long for just slogging around town. In fact, it's too smart, in that "normal" mode should really act like a normal auto transmission, but normal in Evo land is akin to "attack mode" mode with most other companies. For me, it's an absolute kick in the pants to turn an otherwise mundane morning commute into something fun with my Evo. Blast around a 15mph freeway entrance at 35 without so much as scratching the surface of the cars cornering potential, then merging onto a 65MPH freeway with 4 left lanes wide open - time to slap the pedal to the floor, and blast up to 70, right? Not so fast. Do that, and the "normal" transmission mode will oblige you with a lightning quick blast up to your desired speed, and then a rubberband blast of engine braking. What happens is, when you ask for a lot of throttle, the engines computer says "time to play!" and it'll hold the gear you were in for a few seconds after you take your foot off the throttle... even if you take it completely off. This makes for a jerky and unpleasant experience. There are a lot of 50mph 2 lane roads here in Northern California, with random stop signs and stop lights peppered along the way, giving you a prime opportunity to have a bit of fun getting up to, or just a few MPH over the speed limit and have a hell of a lot of fun, all whilst staying within the lines of the law, but brisk acceleration in the Evo sets of the "playtime" sensor and turns the experience into an unpleasant one - both for the driver and passengers.

6.) Looks. It looks like a Mazda 3. No not a Mazdaspeed 3, a Mazda 3. This Evo replaced a 2010 Porsche Panamera Turbo, and I can't tell you the shock and surprise my co-workers have expressed. Some of them are gear heads and daily drive C6 Z06's, an R8, etc and they all thought I was driving a Mazda 3 rental car. I was shocked, but then I started seeing black Mazda 3's on the road, and by god from the back they look REALLY similar to Evo X MR's. Sure, you'll never mistake an Evo GSR for a Mazda 3, but i've mistaken a few for MR's - and I own a MR. Yeah, I know it's a Lancer but I don't care, it's a $44K car that looks nearly identical to a Mazda 3 - and while that can be good (keep a low profile) i'd rather have it keep a low profile and look like a generic sedan, versus a carbon copy of a Mazda 3.

7.) Stereo. It sucks - everything about it, and i've got the upgraded Rockford system. The satellite radio cuts out once in awhile, the interface is sub par, and while it is a LOUD system, it isn't a good one - the sound quality isn't there and you really have to crank it to enjoy it... which will also increase the number of new rattles you'll enjoy as a result.

8.) It feels too sure footed. To have fun in this car when the road gets twisty, you have to go fast and when I say fast, I don't mean "stupid teenage driver fast" I mean kick the dog, burn the barn and make sure you're will is in good order fast. In a tight/twisty road where I can have a blast doing 35 or so around 15mph hair pins (in the middle of nowhere) in a Lotus Elise, it's positively boring in the Evo. I won't go on record stating the speeds I had to carry to get my blood flowing, but let's just say it was stupid, immature, unsafe and downright inappropriate. The car makes it TOO easy, to the point where it actually saps a lot of the fun.

9.) 99% of the time, it sounds awful. I've been in modified Evo's, and they all sound tinny and raspy past 5K RPM, and boomy below it. When taking off from a stop sign at a normal pace, they sound kinda neat, but aside from that - it's a big downer, it always sounds weak, unexciting and uninteresting. For me, the aural experience of a performance car is an important characteristic and this just doesn't cut it, they all sound bad.

10.) Rice boy fever. This one is a two way street. I rarely modify my cars, but this one is unlike any car i've had prior. The one thing I always do is a drop in air filter, and that's more a function of laziness (don't want to have to change them out frequently) over performance, as i've never really noticed a drop in air filter making a noticeable difference. Not so with the Evo, after I installed a drop in (easiest install i've experience with a drop in BTW) it was like a different car. Sounded meaner and I noticed a difference in the cars performance... I keep thinking "well what if I just...." The other side of the ricer street is the reaction you get driving it. My MR is Phantom black and is in my opinion relatively low profile, but I can't believe how many people DO know what it is (when they get close enough to read the badges and realize it isn't a Mazda 3) and how many of them want to race you. From old white haired fellas in Porsches to young guys in corvettes, 350/370z's etc - they all want to run against the Evo. My prior daily driver was a Panamera Turbo and before that I had a C6 Z06, and I can't remember more than one instance of someone reving at me and trying to race me. I've had my Evo for just a mere two weeks, and i've had at least a dozen folks try to race me and frankly, it's irritating.

So why did I buy the evo? Well, I must admit it was an impulse buy. We were at a Ford dealership (which happened to also have a Mitsubishi dealership attached to it) reserving my wife one of the soon to be shipped 650hp Shelby GT's and the salesman asked for a ride in my Panamera. I obliged him and while he was blown away by how fast it was, he mentioned the Mitsubishi's dual clutch transmission seemed a lot better to him VS my PDK. I called BS and he had me drive the Evo, which I promptly bought on the spot. Well, to be more specific - I promptly bought another Evo on the spot, as I didn't want the one we drove as 1 it had over 100 miles on it and 2 I we were positively beating on that car with the salesman for 20+ minutes, and I like to adhere to manufacturer recommended break in periods whenever possible.

To be honest, I didn't really know a thing about the evo (I recall skimming over an article about the 8 or 9 in Car & Driver a number of years ago) but it completely shocked me how capable the car was and the Porsche had been a miserable car to own (lots of issues) so I was keen on getting rid of it.

All in all - i'm blown away at how capable this little car is, it's a modern marvel. We'll see how long I can put up with daily driving it, but at least for now, i'm having a heck of a lot of fun with it, and while it's not nearly as fun as my Lotus, it's a hell of a lot more fun that the Porsche or the Z06.

·
aka DolEvoX
1,554 Posts
mmmk You might be one of like 100 people nationwide that bought a "$44k car" on an impulse buy.
The rest of us... well, we GSR owners especially have "Rice boy fever" and I for one am damn proud of it.
Also, your 10 reasons are trivial in my personal opinion and are pretty much included in everything I love about my Evo X.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forgot to mention - another (significant) reason I bought this car is that I could see what my money was paying for. I think this is something that is seldom mentioned, but really needs to be better highlighted by Evo enthusiasts. You guys are too focused on numbers - who's quickest in the 1/4, if the Evo could take XYZ car, etc. The real value in the Evo in my opinion are its best of breed components.

Sure at its core, it's a Lancer, but stand in front of a new Mustang 5.0 and try to add up why it costs $35K... it's not easy. With the Evo, you can figure $3-4k for the Brembo's, $3,600 for the BBS rims, $1,700 for the tires, $2K+ for the recaros, $6K+ for the SST, $2-3K for the Bilstein struts and Eibach springs, $XK for the amazing, physics defying S-AWC system, the list goes on and on. There are few cars out there you evaluate like this, and frankly I think that's what makes the Evo so unique, and such a good buy. That, along with the twin clutches amazing performance in S-Sport mode are why I had to have one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mmmk You might be one of like 100 people nationwide that bought a "$44k car" on an impulse buy.
The rest of us... well, we GSR owners especially have "Rice boy fever" and I for one am damn proud of it.
Also, your 10 reasons are trivial in my personal opinion and are pretty much included in everything I love about my Evo X.
You can't honestly say you love that the car sounds bad, rattles, is hard to get in and out of, etc.

I bought the car... i'm not bashing it, but like all cars, it isn't perfect. For the $ though, i'm convinced there is no finer car available.

·
aka DolEvoX
1,554 Posts
YES I honestly do. This car is NOT my daily driver though, its a weekend/ nice day/ soon-to-be-because of my "riceboy mods" track car. I dont need posh interior or peace and quiet inside my "race car"

·
Registered
604 Posts
You can't honestly say you love that the car sounds bad, rattles, is hard to get in and out of, etc.

I bought the car... i'm not bashing it, but like all cars, it isn't perfect. For the $ though, i'm convinced there is no finer car available.
Many will argue that those things give the car a more "raw" feel adding to the fun factor. Id have to agree with them. It isn't luxurious, very comfortable or well built. But I get to work on the car and fix some of its faults and find ways to make my car unique. This car isnt for someone who wants to just drive the car, rather its for someone who wants to "be one with the car" as I like to put it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
YES I honestly do. This car is NOT my daily driver though, its a weekend/ nice day/ soon-to-be-because of my "riceboy mods" track car. I dont need posh interior or peace and quiet inside my "race car"
I hear you, but it isn't a race car. Yes, you can take it to a track and do well. Yes you can modify it, rip out the interior and make it a race car but you can't argue that you can ignore it's shortcomings because it's a "race car" as delivered by the manufacturer. Race cars don't need to meet emissions, federal crash tests (they have different standards and in some cases none), have bumpers, lights, etc. An Evo is designed by the manufacturer to be a highly capable street car - if it were a race car, it wouldn't have automatic headlights, GPS, power windows, etc etc. The vast majority of Evo owners will never take their cars to the track and the vast majority of Evo owners aren't using a 4 door sedan as a garage queen or a weekend warrior.

On forums like this, you get extremists and enthusiasts, but the fact is, you have to evaluate a make/model of car in stock form, for what the STOCK form car is designed to do. This is based on a rally car, but the versions we aren't designed and optimized to be rally cars. They're designed to be very capable 4 door sedans that offer the performance of a sports car (leveraging the technology of a rally car), in a practical package.

I won't get into a debate - you love your car, I love mine, it's an Evo love fest and lets just leave it at that.

·
Premium Member
11,756 Posts
Other than 1, 2, 7 and 10, everything else seems like a personal issue you in particular have with the vehicle. One thing is for sure, if you bought this car without researching and reading up on the forums, you're in for one hell of a surprise!

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I hear you, but it isn't a race car. Yes, you can take it to a track and do well. Yes you can modify it, rip out the interior and make it a race car but you can't argue that you can ignore it's shortcomings because it's a "race car" as delivered by the manufacturer. Race cars don't need to meet emissions, federal crash tests (they have different standards and in some cases none), have bumpers, lights, etc. An Evo is designed by the manufacturer to be a highly capable street car - if it were a race car, it wouldn't have automatic headlights, GPS, power windows, etc etc. The vast majority of Evo owners will never take their cars to the track and the vast majority of Evo owners aren't using a 4 door sedan as a garage queen or a weekend warrior.

On forums like this, you get extremists and enthusiasts, but the fact is, you have to evaluate a make/model of car in stock form, for what the STOCK form car is designed to do. This is based on a rally car, but the versions we aren't designed and optimized to be rally cars. They're designed to be very capable 4 door sedans that offer the performance of a sports car (leveraging the technology of a rally car), in a practical package.

I won't get into a debate - you love your car, I love mine, it's an Evo love fest and lets just leave it at that.
Well, you did buy an MR. Most of us don't have clunky transmissions, GPS, auto headlights, leather seats, and all the rest. And I'd argue that a huge number of people (probably more than with just about any other car) will track their car or use it as a weekend warrior. An Evo is frankly a dumb choice for a daily driver. And most of us know that.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Well sounds like your pretty well off, so just enjoy the Evo until you get tired of it. Then trade her in for something else to try out. If I won the lotto, I'm sure I'd have many cars or being trading cars all the time.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Welcome to forums! I think you'll find this forum to be helpful and full of enthusiasts.
Regarding your comments:
1) Agree. I find I have to hold my nose anytime I walk into ANY dealership, and mitsubishi is no different
2) I did note a few rattles in the car when it was stock, but couldn't bring up the courage to bring it into a dealer who would just blow me off, so I lived with it until it went away on it's own one day
3) Have you sat in the carbon bucket seats that are standard in a GT2, GT3RS, Cayman R, and Boxster Spyder? Those seats are GLORIOUS, but are even harder to get in/out of than the recaros in an evo. Compared to those seats, the evo recaros are softies
4) Its the back seat of an econo car. It will never compare to the back seat of a Panamera. Ever.
5) Would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the SST vs. PDK on your panamera. I've driven a GTR, and the SST is much better, IMO. I've driven a Cayman R and 997.2 Turbo S with PDK and find the transmission to be even better than the SST.
6) I would be shocked too if my co-worker went from a Panamera Turbo to an Evo. They're just totally different cars from all aspects you can think of. I don't see how the Evo looks like a mazda 3 though...
7) I've never cared about the stereo in any of my cars. Yes, the stereo is weak, but I'm not the kind of guy that needs the music thumping loud. I much prefer to listen to the engine/exhaust.
8) This is the argument that people make when they buy another car over a GTR or Evo. If you want a involving car, emotional car that will reward you for good technique at the track (and punish you for poor technique), the evo and GTR are not for you. The evo and GTR, IMO, are fun cars when you are driving aggressively. Just tooling around town they are boring. If you want a car that can do faster lap times than more expensive cars, the evo and GTR are for you.
9) The sound of a Porsche engine is nothing short of glorious and pure music. You're spoiled at this point and nothing will ever sound better.
10) Your prior cars appeal to a totally different demographic than the Evo. Surely you can't be surprised about that. The biggest appeal of the evo is the huge aftermarket support. So many options, so easy to do, and relatively cheap when compared to other brands (your lotus and porsche).

Welcome again, and look forward to you getting more involved in the forums.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I dunno man I love my evo. I'm not 6'3" so getting in and out isn't an issue for me. I never have any issues getting groceries with a passenger and my 4 year old in the back seat. Gas mileage is sub par but what do you expect from a car like this? The rest of your points are specific to the MR and I own a GSR completely modded. The bottom end hasn't been touched nor has the head but everything else is swapped out. But that was something I planned on doing before I bought the car so... Rattles, annoying yes, but I've read on here somewhere how someone took his shit apart and fixed the rattling. I may attempt to do so myself one day but as of right now, I'm good. I don't plan on getting rid of my car in a very very long time either. Can't imagine what I'd get to replace an AWD beast that doubles as a family car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, you did buy an MR. Most of us don't have clunky transmissions, GPS, auto headlights, leather seats, and all the rest. And I'd argue that a huge number of people (probably more than with just about any other car) will track their car or use it as a weekend warrior. An Evo is frankly a dumb choice for a daily driver. And most of us know that.
That statement is why I never post on car forums. Lots of ignorance and an acute lack of logic. Saying an Evo is a dumb choice as a daily driver is asinine. If that statement is true, then all S2000's, corvettes, SLK's, Z4's, etc are dumb choices for daily drivers as my Evo is more comfortable and practical than any of the aforementioned.

Very few performance cars are good daily drivers... the better the car is as a daily driver, the more it suffers in terms of performance. Buying a 4 door sedan to use as a weekend warrior/track car is a much "dumber" choice than using it as a daily driver, period. It has four doors, leather, GPS, etc for a reason and frankly, I think it's a better daily driver than the majority of cars i've owned.

You can forgive and ignore a lot of the issues with the Evo because to you it's on a special pedestal. To me, it's a car and as such I have certain expectations - namely that it shouldn't start rattling more than a homeless mans cart, days after it rolls off the showroom floor. If Kia, Hyundai, Fiat and others can do it, Mitsubishi must as well. There's a reason Mitsubishi is doing so poorly.

I'd happily pay more for a better built car. The use of soft plastics couldn't add more than $1K to the cars MSRP, and it would surely pay dividends in terms of resale value.

All said - why does everyone ignore the fact that the car impressed me so much, I ditched a car more than $100K more expensive for it? I LIKE THE CAR, in fact I like it a lot, but like all things, it isn't perfect and manufacturers that stay in business listen to their customers. If everyone puts up with and accepts piss poor interior fitment/materials, then they'll continue to cut corners.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
An Evo is frankly a dumb choice for a daily driver. And most of us know that.
I daily drive my Evo. Being able to daily drive a car that is also trackable is definitely an asset.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
...it isn't perfect and manufacturers that stay in business listen to their customers. If everyone puts up with and accepts piss poor interior fitment/materials, then they'll continue to cut corners.
I for one put up with it because I bought a used '08 with ~14k miles on it. I'd rather upgrade my used interior than buy a newer version of what I have with better interior. I do think if people weren't so far into modding their cars as I am and as far into is as people such as Hollywood is, they may trade up for an Evo with better interior. I'd rather just ignore the rattling for now and upgrade it myself later than get into a pissing contest with Mitsu. However, if enough people did put up a complaint about it, maybe they'd do something for the future of the next generation of the Evo. (Don't think I don't know of all the topics on this forum about the XI, it's still an Evo whether we want to think it is or not)

Oh and Lester, I DD my Evo too. I have yet to have any complaints about it's DD capabilities. My friends with Vettes and WS6's love my Evo and think the practicality of DDing an Evo far outweighs what they DD.

·
Registered
845 Posts
That statement is why I never post on car forums. Lots of ignorance and an acute lack of logic. Saying an Evo is a dumb choice as a daily driver is asinine. If that statement is true, then all S2000's, corvettes, SLK's, Z4's, etc are dumb choices for daily drivers as my Evo is more comfortable and practical than any of the aforementioned.

Very few performance cars are good daily drivers... the better the car is as a daily driver, the more it suffers in terms of performance. Buying a 4 door sedan to use as a weekend warrior/track car is a much "dumber" choice than using it as a daily driver, period. It has four doors, leather, GPS, etc for a reason and frankly, I think it's a better daily driver than the majority of cars i've owned.

You can forgive and ignore a lot of the issues with the Evo because to you it's on a special pedestal. To me, it's a car and as such I have certain expectations - namely that it shouldn't start rattling more than a homeless mans cart, days after it rolls off the showroom floor. If Kia, Hyundai, Fiat and others can do it, Mitsubishi must as well. There's a reason Mitsubishi is doing so poorly.

I'd happily pay more for a better built car. The use of soft plastics couldn't add more than $1K to the cars MSRP, and it would surely pay dividends in terms of resale value.

All said - why does everyone ignore the fact that the car impressed me so much, I ditched a car more than $100K more expensive for it? I LIKE THE CAR, in fact I like it a lot, but like all things, it isn't perfect and manufacturers that stay in business listen to their customers. If everyone puts up with and accepts piss poor interior fitment/materials, then they'll continue to cut corners.
I'd have to agree with a few points you made, not every. As a first post, you clearly stated your position and provided some very good reasons. It's well thought out and well laid out. I give you props.

I dd my Evo as "dumb" as it may be. Love it.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
orthojoe made good points that I would agree with.

Here are my responses to the first post:

#1-#3 - Agree. (Though specifically about the seats: yes about the getting in and out, but the seat size suits me just fine.)

#4 - Haven't experienced that yet.

#5 - Haven't had that problem, but I switch to manual mode when I want to hold gears and have fun, and thus my Automatic mode retains the learned memory of very calm low rpm shift points

#6 - Don't care, love the low profile effect of no big wing. Also I didn't get a black one.

#7 - The RF system is decent, not great. Mids are kinda muddy and the sub doesn't hit some frequencies I know are there on certain songs, but overall it's better than the stock system on any budget econobox and that's good enough for me, for now.

#8 - Haven't experienced that, as I drive safely and don't plan to track the car. Maybe one day there will be canyon runs in my future and I'll get to experience its awesome surefootedness.

#9 - Yep, the exhaust note is not something I think much of, although I love the deep bass drone at very low rpm inside the cabin after you've warmed it up a bit and opened the taps a couple times. I hear the MY'11 has the freest flowing exhaust and I'm pleased about that although I would like it to have a nicer note, too. I'm well past my ricer years, but I see a lot of Evo owners come from SRT-4s and the like, so they tend to want crazy loud exhausts. That's not me, and it doesn't sound like that's you either. The good news is with your MY11/MY12, you can just change the downpipe and maybe switch to a high-flow cat and not impact the sound too dramatically but effect a much greater flow and unlock a lot of power. Properly tuned, of course.

#10 - To the race part, I haven't had anyone try to race me, but A: I don't care and would ignore them, and B: I've only got just over 600 miles on it so I haven't really driven it that much yet.
To the mod part: My number one frustration would be having a car that begs to be modded and is actually safer/better tuned than it is stock, and yet the car is sold by THE MOST absurd Nazi dealerships and corporate company policies regarding mods. I have convinced myself I must not touch this car with mods until the warranty expires and/or I've got at least $10k saved up for fronting repairs. Sad, pathetic, absurd, and entire MMNA's fault.

I'd say overall despite your impulse buy you have assessed a lot of accurate points about the Evo MR. But since you can buy a $44k car on impulse, the warranty shouldn't be a concern for you. Mod it, enjoy it, and if it blows up, source a new block and make it even better the next time.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.