Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I bought the car in March of last year. By July, I had my current mod list and was getting a custom tune on the car. Before the tune I had tested the 2 step but never actually launched (it worked and caught RPMs at 5500). After the tune, I did not immediately test the launch control, but a few months later when I wanted to launch the car the 2 step wouldn't catch at 5500, the car would just race straight to 75-7700 rpms and hit the rev limiter there. This quite literally scared the shit out of me but I figured I wasn't planning on dragging the car really so I didn't let it get to me.

I met up with a local X owner and asked him about it last night and asked him to show me his 2 step. His 2 step cuts in even when he's not WOT with clutch in and in first. To make sure I wasn't crazy, I tried to show him mine.

So I put the car in first, pushed in the clutch, foot to the floor, and it worked! WTF I was thinking...was it really just user error the previous times when I tried? The 2step was working with the ASC on. I wasn't planning on launching so I just let the revs die back down. Once they died back down I tried again and the car went straight to redline. I tried multiple more times, turned off the car, turned the car back on. ASC Off, ASC OFF OFF, ASC ON, no matter what launch control would not freakin work.

Before I thought it was tuned to go to 7500 or something, but now I'm not so sure since it actually worked one time last night, but not any time after this. I did some searching on these forums and people have mentioned the clutch switch. However, if there are issues with the clutch switch apparently cruise control will not work also (or so someone said). So I tested out cruise control and it works no problem at all.

To clarify, I didn't sit on the 2 step for 7-10 seconds and then it went to redline, the car revved straight to redline with the exception of the very first time when the 2 step appeared to work.

Any ideas???

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok so I just went out there again to test this out. I put it in first, clutch to the floor, went part throttle, ASC on, and guess what. IT WORKED WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON IN MY LIFE! I think my avatar is actually me right this moment.

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
Check that the ECU is seeing your clutch disengagement. Where this is sensed I do not know... could be as easy as behind the pedal/in the pedal arm, or it could have some tricky sort of sensing near the clutch itself :( my bet would be on the pedal though.

At first I thought your problem was pure tune as I've altered my 2 step slightly and it is EXTREMELY easy to modify and easily understood. You have a value, if you hit that value with the clutch in, the car will cut until it hits a second value and then allow you to go back up to the first value. You can have it set to hit 6000rpm and then die down to 3000rpm before allowing you to rev back up, but that'd be just silly.

Anyways that's all I got, the ECU might not be seeing your clutch position, intermittently.

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
Ok, I have a test for you. TRY THIS:

Hold the clutch to the floor, hard, and floor it. See what happens.

Then hold the clutch an inch or so from that last position and try it. Let go of the throttle and move up another inch and try it. Obviously don't get too high up or you'll start launching/stalling, but see if you can determine a spot where the ECU is thinking you're not pushing the clutch in for 2-step...

Well you don't have to go WOT, that part is up to you :p

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well I actually did just try that and this morning it seems to be working every time. I put the clutch on the floor and it worked, then I moved it up about an inch and it worked again. I just went out again and barely depressed the clutch - just enough to disengage - and it worked again. It's like it just feels like working today.

The thing is it can't be user error I don't think, I was right there last night in front of another X owner demonstrating it, it worked one time, then without touching anything, it wouldn't work after that. Restarted etc etc never worked again. I WISH it was just user error because that is the easiest fix but honestly I don't know how it could be because this is a pretty dang simple concept : /

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
Ok the only two things I can think of:

I'm pretty sure the Evo X uses multiple maps straight from the factory. Is it possible the 2step rev limit had been bumped up on ONE of the maps and none of the others? Not sure if the automatic map switching switches between entirely different maps or if JUST that specific table is altered when the ECU determines a switch over is necessary... but could be something there.

Other thing is the clutch engagement sensing might not be working right. Perhaps you're putting the clutch where it's supposed to but the ECU doesn't see that.

PS: intermittent problems are the WORST when troubleshooting :)

·
[Drag Racing Mod], [Sales Mod], [Local Team Member
6,689 Posts
I think if you hold the two step too long it goes to the rev limiter, also make sure the car is not moving at all.

5,198 Posts
Where is this sensor? Is it tucked up above the clutch pedal arm or...?
Yes, there is a top and bottom one. They are adjustable. Sometimes they are are off a bit.

Get under the dash and trace the pedal up and they are easy to spot.

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Ok the only two things I can think of:

I'm pretty sure the Evo X uses multiple maps straight from the factory. Is it possible the 2step rev limit had been bumped up on ONE of the maps and none of the others? Not sure if the automatic map switching switches between entirely different maps or if JUST that specific table is altered when the ECU determines a switch over is necessary... but could be something there.

Other thing is the clutch engagement sensing might not be working right. Perhaps you're putting the clutch where it's supposed to but the ECU doesn't see that.

PS: intermittent problems are the WORST when troubleshooting :)
There is only 1 stationary rev limiter. You can adjust the RPM it kicks in at (5500 RPM), the speed under which you must be traveling (10 kph) and the time you must be under that speed (2.1 seconds). Stock values are in parenthesis.

The clutch can be engaged and it will still cut out. So it is NOT the clutch sensor. You can test that by setting the RPM to 3000 and take off in first gear. You will bounce off the limiter. It's actually quite funny to do to a neighbors car. :D

·
Registered
492 Posts
Sometimes if it over revs and press on the clutch until it lowers itself. After you go below 5500 rpms try to get it up there again and it should engage the launch control. Sometimes it's finicky. Chet put a 3500 rpm 2 step on mine but i have to mess with it a little before it engages right.

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
There is only 1 stationary rev limiter. You can adjust the RPM it kicks in at (5500 RPM), the speed under which you must be traveling (10 kph) and the time you must be under that speed (2.1 seconds). Stock values are in parenthesis.
At first I thought your problem was pure tune as I've altered my 2 step slightly and it is EXTREMELY easy to modify and easily understood. You have a value, if you hit that value with the clutch in, the car will cut until it hits a second value and then allow you to go back up to the first value. You can have it set to hit 6000rpm and then die down to 3000rpm before allowing you to rev back up, but that'd be just silly.

You know about the second value right? Where it stops cutting? Basically if you set it as close as possible to the first value, your bouncing will be more rapid. Set it far apart (like my example, 6k and 3k) then it'll bounce incredibly slow...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts