Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering purchasing one of these as a commuter car and to save the evo from some of the harsher winter days.

Any opinions? I know they are not the most economical car in terms of requiring 91 octane.

It is a 6-speed though and has a little more power then I was considering for an extra vehicle. It has approximately 170hp adn 130-140TQ at the crank when new. This one has 125,000km with various degrees of maintenance performed throughout its life.

I was originally looking at an older Toyota Corrola for reliabilty and such, but someone in family is looking to sell theirs. I know the Ford, especially this one (the 2002-03 were made in Mexico before they moved their production to Michigan).

So if anyone has any experience they would like to share or knows any second hand information that would be nice.

If I buy it I will also be Replacing the Clutch/Flywheel so if anyone wants to chime in about that with regards to this car specifically feel free. I work on my car outside and therefore won't be doing my clutch myself.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, thats what I was thinking. I don't really think of the American focus, especially the older ones as being cool. Not at all like the Euro-spec models.

I am wasn't really looking for this car, my 50+ year old Aunt is selling it and they have a put a bit of money into it. It also comes with both brand new winter and summer tires. All the larger maintenance items have been taken care of in the recent past as well.

So Im getting a good deal on it. Hopefully ford's reliability issues within this era of car (also mexican built) doesn't kill it.

They were asking about $5K incl. 2 New sets of tires from the public.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Ive always had issues with domestic vehicles that try to build "performance" into what is essentially an economy car. Unless the car has under 80km on it, I would avoid it like the plaque... not saying its not a good deal, but for what you want it for you are better off saving half that cost and going with your first choice.

I am corolla biased, have bought 14 ae86's and 4 ae82's and none have given me problems that could not be solved with $100 and half hour time. EG civic is also a great way to go..

just my $0.02

·
Registered
96 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Ive always had issues with domestic vehicles that try to build "performance" into what is essentially an economy car.
just my $0.02
04-05 SRT-4's FTW. Find me another car that can run low 11's in the 1/4, get 30+ MPG, cut 1.22 lap times around racecity, all on the stock motor, all from dodge, and all for under 30K when new. And yes I am aware it was a "Neon"

just mt 0.02

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up buying the car for $4500. Been running great since I got it. Slightly more peppy and a lot more receptive to drive then the 07 Corolla my girlfriend owns.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts