Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a slight oil leak from the transfer case to transmission mating area:

Its been leaking for a while now, and the Evo has never been abused.
I drained the oil out, and the magnetic bolt has light coating of shavings, nothing significant. The oil measures at 0.85L so far, and its still draining slowly.

I will fill back with 0.9L, or till it starts overflowing from the fill hole. I want to understand the scope of work here to replace the O-ring seal on the driver side mating to transmission. I will see if it starts leaking again, or if the leak was happening due to over-filling in any capacity.

I was reviewing multiple videos, and the pain and suffering of taking the entire transfer case out is too much. I was wondering if i can just pop open the ACD part, leaving the transfer case casing in place, and then reach the O-ring and replace it from the passenger side ? Is this something feasible ? Wanted your thoughts and opinions.

Happy new year folks !!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a slight oil leak from the transfer case to transmission mating area:

View attachment 287331

Its been leaking for a while now, and the Evo has never been abused.
I drained the oil out, and the magnetic bolt has light coating of shavings, nothing significant. The oil measures at 0.85L so far, and its still draining slowly.

I will fill back with 0.9L, or till it starts overflowing from the fill hole. I want to understand the scope of work here to replace the O-ring seal on the driver side mating to transmission. I will see if it starts leaking again, or if the leak was happening due to over-filling in any capacity.

I was reviewing multiple videos, and the pain and suffering of taking the entire transfer case out is too much. I was wondering if i can just pop open the ACD part, leaving the transfer case casing in place, and then reach the O-ring and replace it from the passenger side ? Is this something feasible ? Wanted your thoughts and opinions.

Happy new year folks !!
I have the same issue. I have left mine for a few weeks to see what happens and by the looks of it has stopped on its own not sure why maybe some derbies plugged the leak but i will keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: Have an intriguing situation. I have drained the transfer case completely. I got about 0.9L in the kitchen mug that i used for measurement (shhh, don't tell my wife i am using it).
I had wiped the leaking part clean, and now i still see oil leaking there ! It can't be the transfer case oil. There is no oil left in the transfer case, and no residue near the O-ring. Also, i swiped with my finger and smelled it, and doesn't have the smell of rotten eggs. Definitely not transfer case oil. Has to be Transmission fluid then.
I will now drain the transmission fluid and see if the leak stops, and also measure the transmission fluid, should be 2.65Quarts per the specs.

BTW, i am saving all the oils, i don't throw them away. Just put it right back. I drain everything into a large clean baking tray (holds over 15 quarts), all wiped clean and dry always.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update : my old transfer case oil measures exactly 0.8L.

Transfer case is totally dry, and i still see oil leak, very slow, its been like this for few months now, about 1 drop overnight. So, it has to be from the Transmission side seal. The Transfer case O-ring appears to be intact.

I pumped in new oil slowly into transfer case, giving it time to settle down, and it overflowed when 0.2L was left in the 1L bottle. So, I don't think I have lost any transfer case oil. So that is good news!

Now, I will drain transmission and report back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Were you able to root cause the issue? currently my Evo X is experiencing the same thing having transmission fluid leak through the T case - transmission mating area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts