Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
true, my boost is at 22psi and my numbers posted are on a conservative tune. its had performed beautifully so far.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I dont think you should be getting much more power out of a X with just an intake and test pipe. Seems good to me!! I would think anything over 330 at 5200ft with an intake and test pipe would be pushing it!!

Chet- True less boost doesnt necessarily mean more reliable but it does mean less stress on internals from boost pressure and less chance of pre ignition. Sure there can be other problems to cause increased cylinder pressures but boost is usually a big one on a forced induction engine! I would be happy with those numbers if i was this guy...

·
[E-Tuner]
15,950 Posts
Chet- True less boost doesnt necessarily mean more reliable but it does mean less stress on internals from boost pressure and less chance of pre ignition. Sure there can be other problems to cause increased cylinder pressures but boost is usually a big one on a forced induction engine! I would be happy with those numbers if i was this guy...
Less boost CAN mean less stress on internals and less chance of pre-ignition, but timing can put the same if not more stress on the engine internals.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Less boost CAN mean less stress on internals and less chance of pre-ignition, but timing can put the same if not more stress on the engine internals.

Agreed, thats why i said boost is not the only thing that can increase cylinder pressure. The thing is though, a lot of tuners are not as good at tuning ignition timing as they are with afr's because afr's are somewhat easy. Timing? Not so much.... In general, it takes a lot less time to optimize afr's when compared to ignition timing and shops would be spending way to much time tuning if they did so. For race teams and self tuners they can spend the time. Shops wont spend the NEEDED time unless your forking out some good money to cover their time, therefore it is easier for them to go with lower boost and then they dont have to worry about spending additional time tuning the ignition to deal with the additional boost.

·
[E-Tuner]
15,950 Posts
Agreed, thats why i said boost is not the only thing that can increase cylinder pressure. The thing is though, a lot of tuners are not as good at tuning ignition timing as they are with afr's because afr's are somewhat easy. Timing? Not so much.... In general, it takes a lot less time to optimize afr's when compared to ignition timing and shops would be spending way to much time tuning if they did so. For race teams and self tuners they can spend the time. Shops wont spend the NEEDED time unless your forking out some good money to cover their time, therefore it is easier for them to go with lower boost and then they dont have to worry about spending additional time tuning the ignition to deal with the additional boost.
Very much agreed.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Very much agreed.
With the money thought and right amount of time im sure you could have some pretty high boost and some wicked timing and still have a very reliable car :)

I think the same goes for our cars and nitrous. I hear everyone say that our cars just shouldnt have nitrous but the fact is that it could be done and be very reliable but it will take a lot of trial and error and a lot of tuning time. The end result though would be pretty outstanding.

Im sure nitrous got a bad name with our cars though from regular joe shmoe's hooking up a bottle and adding some fuel. The problem is probably in the ignition timing and valve timing! There are a lot of turbocharged cars that run nitrous effeciently but someone put the time in to make it right and knew what they were doing. Probably half the "local tuners" out there dont have the know-how do do it right. It would be nice to see SOMEONE that did it right though and has a relaible nitrous setup with the X. Ya know?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Even the most amazing tuners go by trial and error most of the time! The difference is they know where to safely start from so that there is less damage and less changes to make in the long run. Its kind of like starting with an OTS map for a basic tune. You start with that and then make the changes to fit the individual car. But with nitrous or large amounts of boost you have more variables to include and the margin of error gets smaller :)

I was thinking of setting up a 20 shot of dry nitrous on my car but without a wideband and EGT sensor I just wouldnt feel safe doing it. Even a 20 shot could make a nice improvement in spool time and could definately help in a 1/8 or 1/4.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.