Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time it flashed was Sunday morning September the 8th. It had not flashed again until today after work around 7pm, and I drove it at lunch time no flash. No check engine light or service AWC light (yet...). Is this the sign the ACD pump is having issues?

I checked the resevoir after driving around and having the light flash and the fluid is not as low as it is when it doesn't blink. Then it seemed to quickly rise back up to max. So something definitely seems off.

All the stuff I've read seems to say that you have to wait until it throws a code and then hope mit will replace it but it sounds like it's a crap shoot if you have mods?

So far I only have the flashing light no other codes and I’m right around 31,000 miles.

Just wondering if I should try and schedule an appointment with mits sooner rather than wait until it gets worse?

My car has a tune, intake, down pipe, test pipe and exhaust. Am I screwed?

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
210 Posts
Mines been flashing for 2 years. Idiots at the stealerships tell me it's because of my larger diameter exhaust pipe :duh:

They refuse to fix it.... surprise surprise

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Should I get a check engine light? I am wanting to take it to my service dept to see about getting it repaired under the 10/100K warranty. I read some forums where they were able to get it replaced with just the flashing so long as a code was retrievable. With a regular scan tool can I get this code or is it something special only mits has?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I took my 2103 with 32k on the clock to the dealer with just a flashing light. My Cobb AP was listing a code also. Dealer confirmed the pump was borked and are replacing it under warranty. I also have full 3” Perrin Catback and Test pipe.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found out the dealer I bought my car from stopped supporting Mitsubishi on June 5th and are now only a Subaru dealer/service dept, so the shop referred me to the dealer that picked up support which was 20 miles away! Fortunately there is another Mitsubishi that is about 9 miles from my office.

I called them yesterday and explained that the light on the dash has been flashing and that it may mean the pump is going bad. I also told them up front that my car was tuned and I asked if they thought the pump might not be covered and basically said it depends if they can determine if the tune caused the pump to fail early. My car has 35,200 miles and it's a 2011.

It will be a $120 diagnostic charge, if it's not covered by warranty, I'm not sure if they're going to be able to see any codes or anything I don't have a check engine light on. I do have a scan tool hooked up, I have been meaning to try running a scan to see if it picks up anything.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I found out the dealer I bought my car from stopped supporting Mitsubishi on June 5th and are now only a Subaru dealer/service dept, so the shop referred me to the dealer that picked up support which was 20 miles away! Fortunately there is another Mitsubishi that is about 9 miles from my office.

I called them yesterday and explained that the light on the dash has been flashing and that it may mean the pump is going bad. I also told them up front that my car was tuned and I asked if they thought the pump might not be covered and basically said it depends if they can determine if the tune caused the pump to fail early. My car has 35,200 miles and it's a 2011.

It will be a $120 diagnostic charge, if it's not covered by warranty, I'm not sure if they're going to be able to see any codes or anything I don't have a check engine light on. I do have a scan tool hooked up, I have been meaning to try running a scan to see if it picks up anything.
FWIW, tunes shouldn't cause a pump failure ever unless someone was modifying the pump duty cycles and how the AYC/S-AWC system was responding

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
FWIW, tunes shouldn't cause a pump failure ever unless someone was modifying the pump duty cycles and how the AYC/S-AWC system was responding
Right, it shouldn't but they are using it as a way to avoid doing warranty work. I just got back from taking my Evo to the service department. When I spoke to the guy on the phone I told them I was tuned because I didn't want to waste my time going down there but they made it seem a little more optimistic that it would be covered. However, when I got to the service department the guy at the front desk asked me if my car was chipped or tuned and he said he had a guy in just recently with the flashing light and they denied work.

He told me I could wait and they will pull the the programming and then send it up to Mitsubishi to see if they would warranty it but it would cost me $120 if they don't, so I told them to forget it because I really didn't believe that once Mitsubishi gets the tune they're not going to see that it was modified. My red line was increased and the base year of the tune shows up as a 2010 (my car is a 2011). I'm pretty sure that would be some red flags.

The guy at the front said that my car might need the flash that would restore it back to factory, but I told them that could cause issues if I drive it without the tune because of the stuff on my car. But he basically said I just need to revert the tune to factory so they can send it up to Mitsubishi. My car was OpenECU Flashed, you think it would be alright just to flash it back to a factory 2011 MR ECU take it then see if that passes the check then put the flash back on?

If was even possible to flash it back to factory (I don't have my factory code, I'd have to download something)if only temporarily, a potential downside is it may set off a bunch of check engine lights, and a Mitsubishi tech may be inclined to investigate these...

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
My car is modified and tuned - they gave me a word or two about how it's not a good idea, but they did the replacement and sent me on the way home( I asked them to not apply the reflash that was also due - one of the recalls).

They can't deny you warranty without proving that tune caused the pump failure, which is practically impossible to prove, plus there is a known issue with the pump. Just don't bother - schedule the appointment - tell them not to touch the ECU rom and apologize when they give you an "advice" how tuning is bad. You can fight it, but apology works better in your favor.

Ultimately they are wrong and can't deny you warranty work for this item.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got mine replaced yesterday at a different dealer, no issues, no hassles, didn't even ask if I was tuned and I didn't tell them. The first time I went in I watched the tech run the diagnostics on the car where it showed an actuator issue in the pump. They didn't even say they needed to collect a fee from me before running the test. 100X's better experience than at the other dealership. I don't understand why they can't all be this way, anyway if I were to buy another Mitsubishi I'm more inclined now to buy one from this dealer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts