Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, today I launched my car for the 4th time. I remember the first 3 times I had the ASC off. Today I had it off off (AYC brake off). The first 3 times with it just off, I got some wheel spin for about one and a half seconds maybe. Today, with it off off, I launched, and it seemed my clutch was slipping for 2 seconds. Is it possible that my clutch is slipping already?!. Not an aggressive driver, never dump the clutch on daily drives, and the car itself has about 3,000 miles on it. If the clutch is slipping, will the warranty cover it? And I do know how to launch my car... But for now on I'll be doing it with the handbrake lol, thanks for anyone who replies,
-Bill

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Yes, it is VERY possible the clutch could be going. Many have lost their clutch very early on <5000 miles.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
yup i lost my stock clutch at 3000 miles but it was my fault i launched the shit out of it and no the warranty will not cover clutch reason why is IT'S A wearable item like brake pads new clutch is coming out ya own pocket buddy:p

·
Registered
746 Posts
Depends on your dealership, but probably not, tbh. They'll just say you abused the car and flip you off.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Ebrake launch? From reading some thread I was informed that having the ebrake up disengages the rear end? Makeing it much more brutal on your rear diff on launch.

And yeah if you launch it time after time and they rip the clutch out and see its all scored up its most defiantly out of your pocket. If they don't tell you off before they tear down.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Do you know why my clutch has lasted close to 50k miles and will last a lot longer? Cause it has never been launched. If I had launched my car, do you know how many miles it would have lasted? Probably < 5k miles. The way I see it, there is no learning curve with this. You do it right the first time (miraculously with no mistake) and wear your clutch out at an extremely accelerated rate, or you do it wrong and burn your clutch within 1-5 launches. Not worth it to me!

After writing that^ I just realized I'm getting old lol!

·
Cunning Linguist
12,363 Posts
It'll always be out of your pocket because it's a wear item, like stated above. In addition, driving a manual AWD vehicle is a little bit tougher. You might need to practice that as well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ebrake launch? From reading some thread I was informed that having the ebrake up disengages the rear end? Makeing it much more brutal on your rear diff on launch.

And yeah if you launch it time after time and they rip the clutch out and see its all scored up its most defiantly out of your pocket. If they don't tell you off before they tear down.
Really? I thought it preloaded and made it easier on stuff? Anyways, hopefully when I tell them it's slipping theyll give me some grace lol. I don't plan on launching it for a while now though haha

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you know why my clutch has lasted close to 50k miles and will last a lot longer? Cause it has never been launched. If I had launched my car, do you know how many miles it would have lasted? Probably < 5k miles. The way I see it, there is no learning curve with this. You do it right the first time (miraculously with no mistake) and wear your clutch out at an extremely accelerated rate, or you do it wrong and burn your clutch within 1-5 launches. Not worth it to me!

After writing that^ I just realized I'm getting old lol!
Haha theres no such thing as getting old bro :), you become more wise :), anyways, after I thought it slip, I let the car rest for about 15 minutes, and took it for a nice easy drive, and did one quick pull, and there was no slip :)

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Really? I thought it preloaded and made it easier on stuff? Anyways, hopefully when I tell them it's slipping theyll give me some grace lol. I don't plan on launching it for a while now though haha

correct. on older evo's. now don't quote me but i could be spreading a roomer due to i've only read it in other posts and not found the truth to be told yet. just the general consensus in that thread was ebrake launching= bad mojo.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
correct. on older evo's. now don't quote me but i could be spreading a roomer due to i've only read it in other posts and not found the truth to be told yet. just the general consensus in that thread was ebrake launching= bad mojo.
It does make sense that it be bad if you think about what you're doing;, I'll have to do some research and see what's up :)

·
Registered
680 Posts
EBrake disengages the rear end and then when you launch it, it's slamming back in gear causing alot more wear than usual. A clutch is alot cheaper so I would stick to burning that out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have yet to fully launch it, should be some sticky or something for a how-to on launching. Any bit helps if you plan to launch it anyway
If you ever do fully launch it, you'll get addicted bro! Haha, I remember the first time I launched mine, I got a huuuggge headache, because my head wasn't against the rest, and I ended up slamming into it lmao.. It was worth it though :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
*just a quick update*
Clutch seems to be holding up fine, handling the power well, and hasn't slipped since the launch :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts