Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so im new to the forum and it this isnt the right place to put it then can a mod please move me..

anyways im an ls1 guy always have been i have two a 98 camaro that ive built with a 78mm turbo pushing around 750 to the ground then i have a 01 ta ws6 that im building to be alil faster but im beginning to get annoyed with driving an 13 year old car yes its fast and its fun but ive always admired the evo's for the awesome innovations that they have and ive been trying to learn alot about them but they are just way different than a conventional f body..so my question to you guys is if i get a 2010-2011 evo what body style reacts better to mods cause they both seem the same to me..now i really want all the luxuries ie nav, bluetooth everything...and ive been wondering how much boost can i push this thing to with stock internals.. what kind of power can i make relatively cheap less than say $2500..how do the trans hold up? are there still 6speeds? im looking for around 550 to all wheels is this realistically obtainable without forged pistons & rods? any answers are appreciated if i have somehow missed a thread that covers all of this please direct me to it..thanks in advance guys

·
[E-Tuner]
15,861 Posts
The 2008 to 2011 all react the same with mods, except the 2011's have the highest flowing stock exhaust.

With $2500, you should be easliy able to get 350 whp, depending on the dyno.

550 whp is very attainable with a built engine and the right turbo, but not with the stock turbo.

The 5 speed is very strong, the 6 speed uses a double clutch system, so its not a stick shift, it is also strong, but there is still some technical stuff that needs to be firgured out with the double clutch trans.

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
Don't know what thread would cover this, but our internals are relatively weak. Limit wheel torque to ~350 and throw on a huge turbo and you can hit 500whp up top with a ton of lag on stock internals. Even then you're on thin ice.

I'm sure the couple around these here parts who've blown their motors 2-3 times can chime in on what didn't work for them.

This car is not cheap to get big power, not by a long shot. $2500 will get you a couple of bolt-ons, a stock frame turbo and the fuel setup, all of which will be good for maybe 450whp, but that doesn't include a proper, safe tune by someone who has plenty of tunes under his/her belt and few, if any, customers that blew the motor on their tune.

Why a 2010-2011 and $2500 budget? Why not a 2008 and a $12,000 budget?

The only 6 speed is the MR with the twin clutch (automated manual transmission) and the true manual is a 5 speed. Mitsu frowns upon manual 6 speeds because their reputation with them is shoddy at best.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Sounds like you're into drag racing. The 2011 would be a wiser choice just because of the differential pin upgrade.

When you get into higher horse power (600ish) and drag race, you're going to blow your rear end. Something has to give in an awd drivetrain. On the older evos it was the ring and pinion, now it's the rear diff. ETS has gone through 3 rear ends achieving their 9 second goals.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
The next question would be why do you want that much? You do realize this car can do with 350tq what an LS1 can do with 500... Believe me I have spanked my fair share of GT3's and Z06's in my car running ~350tq. Not in the straights but when it gets twisty!

I could see a goal of 375-425tq, maybe a bit more but at some point when you touch the go-switch and you have to start holding back throttle because you break all four loose after your moving...depends on what you plan to do with it I guess.

·
Premium Member
6,689 Posts
i dont know about you guys but this guy sound like a troll..........

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I'd recommend a RWD coupe of some sort for straight-line performance. Add some forced-induction to it for big power. If you want a more modern chassis and technology but don't want a modern Mustang or Camaro, maybe a 370Z or Genesis Coupe is up your alley.

·
Registered
22,717 Posts
You win the longest sentence ever posted

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Don't know what thread would cover this, but our internals are relatively weak. Limit wheel torque to ~350 and throw on a huge turbo and you can hit 500whp up top with a ton of lag on stock internals. Even then you're on thin ice.

I'm sure the couple around these here parts who've blown their motors 2-3 times can chime in on what didn't work for them.

This car is not cheap to get big power, not by a long shot. $2500 will get you a couple of bolt-ons, a stock frame turbo and the fuel setup, all of which will be good for maybe 450whp, but that doesn't include a proper, safe tune by someone who has plenty of tunes under his/her belt and few, if any, customers that blew the motor on their tune.

Why a 2010-2011 and $2500 budget? Why not a 2008 and a $12,000 budget?

The only 6 speed is the MR with the twin clutch (automated manual transmission) and the true manual is a 5 speed. Mitsu frowns upon manual 6 speeds because their reputation with them is shoddy at best.
well i looked at an 08 the other day but it didnt have bluetooth, the whole reason im getting the car is for the newer aged technology. Is that the only difference cause if its just bluetooth i can deal with loosing that for 12k, but the one i was looking at was 28k not sure if that was alil much or not..

Sounds like you're into drag racing. The 2011 would be a wiser choice just because of the differential pin upgrade.

When you get into higher horse power (600ish) and drag race, you're going to blow your rear end. Something has to give in an awd drivetrain. On the older evos it was the ring and pinion, now it's the rear diff. ETS has gone through 3 rear ends achieving their 9 second goals.
im not really that into drag racing, i mean of course i got to the track some but im not building a 1/4 mile car. ive never really understood people that did i like roll racing and most the guys i run with are all upwards of 600 in their rwd cars so im thinking im gonna need at least 550 to still hang around..

The next question would be why do you want that much? You do realize this car can do with 350tq what an LS1 can do with 500... Believe me I have spanked my fair share of GT3's and Z06's in my car running ~350tq. Not in the straights but when it gets twisty!

I could see a goal of 375-425tq, maybe a bit more but at some point when you touch the go-switch and you have to start holding back throttle because you break all four loose after your moving...depends on what you plan to do with it I guess.
ya i hear that, and from a dig i would have no problem getting them but on the highway is where id get my ass handed to me. this is why i need more and yes i would like to get to the point where all 4 will break loose after im moving lol

i dont know about you guys but this guy sound like a troll..........
no troll here.

I'd recommend a RWD coupe of some sort for straight-line performance. Add some forced-induction to it for big power. If you want a more modern chassis and technology but don't want a modern Mustang or Camaro, maybe a 370Z or Genesis Coupe is up your alley.
and ya im done with rwd i really wanna take this damn thing in the snow lol this will probably be my daily im still not getting rid of the maro or ta

You win the longest sentence ever posted
Not true, there is 13 periods, and 3 question marks. :bowlol: :bowlol:
exactly i make up for it by doubling and tripling in the right places lol :godance:

thank for all the advice guys! and ok so i would definitely be getting a 5sp then and i guess with out forging how much boost can most people safely get up to? how much larger do people go with turbos? i dont want a huge lag, id like it to spool around 3500 at least and i guess its looking more around 450 is more attainable? i just wanna make sure i have enough top end for the highway and and enough low end for some nice awd launches lol

·
Registered
456 Posts
well lets put it this way, 340-350 awhp which is bolt ons and a tune will get you mid to low 12's, 400-450 which is upgraded fuel pump, injectors, fp red turbo, and bolt ons will get you mid to low 11's, plenty enough to keep up with the 550 rwhp muscle cars. once you learn how to launch the car the right way, your gonna be outa the hole faster than those high powered v8's, and they will have to play catch up the rest of the time. numbers aren't everything. im sure there are plenty of guys that can say the same as i am about to, that we have taken out plenty higher powered cars

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well lets put it this way, 340-350 awhp which is bolt ons and a tune will get you mid to low 12's, 400-450 which is upgraded fuel pump, injectors, fp red turbo, and bolt ons will get you mid to low 11's, plenty enough to keep up with the 550 rwhp muscle cars. once you learn how to launch the car the right way, your gonna be outa the hole faster than those high powered v8's, and they will have to play catch up the rest of the time. numbers aren't everything
ya i mean like i said out of the hole is not the problem its 45-50 rolls where their torque is gonna kill me the mods your talking about is exactly what i planned doing first bolt-ons fuel and turbo how will the stock clutch hold up to that?

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
ya i hear that, and from a dig i would have no problem getting them but on the highway is where id get my ass handed to me. this is why i need more and yes i would like to get to the point where all 4 will break loose after im moving lol
On the highway you should get your ass handed to you by anyone speeding and breaking the law. I honestly hope you are not really only concerned with red-light cowboy kind of stuff.

I don't get the concept of trying to race on the street, around families, around friends, around people who would just rather you act like an adult. It only cost a few dollars to take it to a track. Maybe get a business card and step out of your whip and hand it to your intended target with location and time of the upcoming whooping?

·
[E-Tuner]
15,861 Posts
well the Evo 10 stock block, it can support around 400 wtq, at that point there is a high risk for snapping a rod and blowing a hole in the block. So if you build your block with better rods and pistons, and if its done right, it will support well over 800 whp, but that will be with a big turbo that will have lag.

For you, I would suggest a built engine, a FP red or an EF3. On E85 they will get you 450-500 whp with spool around 3500-4000 with the right tuner on the right dyno.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
On the highway you should get your ass handed to you by anyone speeding and breaking the law. I honestly hope you are not really only concerned with red-light cowboy kind of stuff.

I don't get the concept of trying to race on the street, around families, around friends, around people who would just rather you act like an adult. It only cost a few dollars to take it to a track. Maybe get a business card and step out of your whip and hand it to your intended target with location and time of the upcoming whooping?
we are adults were not kids that run the streets in the middle of traffic when we race we do it safely and for your question about why not take it to a track thats because not all of us like running a 1/4 of a mile and probably breaking something from such hard launches. Dont come on here like some white knight and pretend that im the only one that enjoys a good highway run when no one is around next time keep your comments to yourself.

well the Evo 10 stock block, it can support around 400 wtq, at that point there is a high risk for snapping a rod and blowing a hole in the block. So if you build your block with better rods and pistons, and if its done right, it will support well over 800 whp, but that will be with a big turbo that will have lag.

For you, I would suggest a built engine, a FP red or an EF3. On E85 they will get you 450-500 whp with spool around 3500-4000 with the right tuner on the right dyno.
ok thanks man thats exactly what i was looking for just wasnt sure how much they could hold.

·
[E-Tuner]
15,861 Posts
Nice touch! :priceless:
Always have to put that in there :bowlol:

ok thanks man thats exactly what i was looking for just wasnt sure how much they could hold.
No problem. You should really look for an 08 so you can have a much larger budget to do all the things you want with it.

If you want bluetooth, just get a bluetooth headset, lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Always have to put that in there :bowlol:

No problem. You should really look for an 08 so you can have a much larger budget to do all the things you want with it.

If you want bluetooth, just get a bluetooth headset, lol
ya im actually gonna look at white sss gsr one tomorrow for 23k with 30k miles think i might just grab it then order some rods and pistons..the crank should be fine right?

·
[E-Tuner]
15,861 Posts
ya im actually gonna look at white sss gsr one tomorrow for 23k with 30k miles think i might just grab it then order some rods and pistons..the crank should be fine right?
That's a good deal.

The crank is good to over 1000 whp

1 - 20 of 143 Posts