Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

2011 x with 550hp??

13K views 142 replies 28 participants last post by  migs647 
#1 ·
ok so im new to the forum and it this isnt the right place to put it then can a mod please move me..

anyways im an ls1 guy always have been i have two a 98 camaro that ive built with a 78mm turbo pushing around 750 to the ground then i have a 01 ta ws6 that im building to be alil faster but im beginning to get annoyed with driving an 13 year old car yes its fast and its fun but ive always admired the evo's for the awesome innovations that they have and ive been trying to learn alot about them but they are just way different than a conventional f body..so my question to you guys is if i get a 2010-2011 evo what body style reacts better to mods cause they both seem the same to me..now i really want all the luxuries ie nav, bluetooth everything...and ive been wondering how much boost can i push this thing to with stock internals.. what kind of power can i make relatively cheap less than say $2500..how do the trans hold up? are there still 6speeds? im looking for around 550 to all wheels is this realistically obtainable without forged pistons & rods? any answers are appreciated if i have somehow missed a thread that covers all of this please direct me to it..thanks in advance guys

#2 ·
The 2008 to 2011 all react the same with mods, except the 2011's have the highest flowing stock exhaust.

With $2500, you should be easliy able to get 350 whp, depending on the dyno.

550 whp is very attainable with a built engine and the right turbo, but not with the stock turbo.

The 5 speed is very strong, the 6 speed uses a double clutch system, so its not a stick shift, it is also strong, but there is still some technical stuff that needs to be firgured out with the double clutch trans.

#3 ·
Don't know what thread would cover this, but our internals are relatively weak. Limit wheel torque to ~350 and throw on a huge turbo and you can hit 500whp up top with a ton of lag on stock internals. Even then you're on thin ice.

I'm sure the couple around these here parts who've blown their motors 2-3 times can chime in on what didn't work for them.

This car is not cheap to get big power, not by a long shot. $2500 will get you a couple of bolt-ons, a stock frame turbo and the fuel setup, all of which will be good for maybe 450whp, but that doesn't include a proper, safe tune by someone who has plenty of tunes under his/her belt and few, if any, customers that blew the motor on their tune.

Why a 2010-2011 and $2500 budget? Why not a 2008 and a $12,000 budget?

The only 6 speed is the MR with the twin clutch (automated manual transmission) and the true manual is a 5 speed. Mitsu frowns upon manual 6 speeds because their reputation with them is shoddy at best.

#11 · (Edited)
well i looked at an 08 the other day but it didnt have bluetooth, the whole reason im getting the car is for the newer aged technology. Is that the only difference cause if its just bluetooth i can deal with loosing that for 12k, but the one i was looking at was 28k not sure if that was alil much or not..

Sounds like you're into drag racing. The 2011 would be a wiser choice just because of the differential pin upgrade.

When you get into higher horse power (600ish) and drag race, you're going to blow your rear end. Something has to give in an awd drivetrain. On the older evos it was the ring and pinion, now it's the rear diff. ETS has gone through 3 rear ends achieving their 9 second goals.
im not really that into drag racing, i mean of course i got to the track some but im not building a 1/4 mile car. ive never really understood people that did i like roll racing and most the guys i run with are all upwards of 600 in their rwd cars so im thinking im gonna need at least 550 to still hang around..

The next question would be why do you want that much? You do realize this car can do with 350tq what an LS1 can do with 500... Believe me I have spanked my fair share of GT3's and Z06's in my car running ~350tq. Not in the straights but when it gets twisty!

I could see a goal of 375-425tq, maybe a bit more but at some point when you touch the go-switch and you have to start holding back throttle because you break all four loose after your moving...depends on what you plan to do with it I guess.
ya i hear that, and from a dig i would have no problem getting them but on the highway is where id get my ass handed to me. this is why i need more and yes i would like to get to the point where all 4 will break loose after im moving lol

i dont know about you guys but this guy sound like a troll..........
no troll here.

I'd recommend a RWD coupe of some sort for straight-line performance. Add some forced-induction to it for big power. If you want a more modern chassis and technology but don't want a modern Mustang or Camaro, maybe a 370Z or Genesis Coupe is up your alley.
and ya im done with rwd i really wanna take this damn thing in the snow lol this will probably be my daily im still not getting rid of the maro or ta

You win the longest sentence ever posted
Not true, there is 13 periods, and 3 question marks. :bowlol: :bowlol:
exactly i make up for it by doubling and tripling in the right places lol :godance:

thank for all the advice guys! and ok so i would definitely be getting a 5sp then and i guess with out forging how much boost can most people safely get up to? how much larger do people go with turbos? i dont want a huge lag, id like it to spool around 3500 at least and i guess its looking more around 450 is more attainable? i just wanna make sure i have enough top end for the highway and and enough low end for some nice awd launches lol

#4 ·
Sounds like you're into drag racing. The 2011 would be a wiser choice just because of the differential pin upgrade.

When you get into higher horse power (600ish) and drag race, you're going to blow your rear end. Something has to give in an awd drivetrain. On the older evos it was the ring and pinion, now it's the rear diff. ETS has gone through 3 rear ends achieving their 9 second goals.

#5 ·
The next question would be why do you want that much? You do realize this car can do with 350tq what an LS1 can do with 500... Believe me I have spanked my fair share of GT3's and Z06's in my car running ~350tq. Not in the straights but when it gets twisty!

I could see a goal of 375-425tq, maybe a bit more but at some point when you touch the go-switch and you have to start holding back throttle because you break all four loose after your moving...depends on what you plan to do with it I guess.

#7 ·
I'd recommend a RWD coupe of some sort for straight-line performance. Add some forced-induction to it for big power. If you want a more modern chassis and technology but don't want a modern Mustang or Camaro, maybe a 370Z or Genesis Coupe is up your alley.

#12 ·
well lets put it this way, 340-350 awhp which is bolt ons and a tune will get you mid to low 12's, 400-450 which is upgraded fuel pump, injectors, fp red turbo, and bolt ons will get you mid to low 11's, plenty enough to keep up with the 550 rwhp muscle cars. once you learn how to launch the car the right way, your gonna be outa the hole faster than those high powered v8's, and they will have to play catch up the rest of the time. numbers aren't everything. im sure there are plenty of guys that can say the same as i am about to, that we have taken out plenty higher powered cars

#13 ·
well lets put it this way, 340-350 awhp which is bolt ons and a tune will get you mid to low 12's, 400-450 which is upgraded fuel pump, injectors, fp red turbo, and bolt ons will get you mid to low 11's, plenty enough to keep up with the 550 rwhp muscle cars. once you learn how to launch the car the right way, your gonna be outa the hole faster than those high powered v8's, and they will have to play catch up the rest of the time. numbers aren't everything
ya i mean like i said out of the hole is not the problem its 45-50 rolls where their torque is gonna kill me the mods your talking about is exactly what i planned doing first bolt-ons fuel and turbo how will the stock clutch hold up to that?

#15 ·
well the Evo 10 stock block, it can support around 400 wtq, at that point there is a high risk for snapping a rod and blowing a hole in the block. So if you build your block with better rods and pistons, and if its done right, it will support well over 800 whp, but that will be with a big turbo that will have lag.

For you, I would suggest a built engine, a FP red or an EF3. On E85 they will get you 450-500 whp with spool around 3500-4000 with the right tuner on the right dyno.

#25 ·
Illegal activities discussed in every other post.

Let's face it, whether or not you want to admit it, your entire topic/debate you started here has to do with how you can best break the law with as low of a budget as possible.

You want to know how you can rocket to 140+mph on the highway against a muscle car enthusiast after honking 3 times with the lowest possible budget. Is that NOT your intention? I mean I'm no genius, except for the fact that I am, but even if I wasn't I could clearly see through your clever disguise :shades:

#26 ·
my intentions in this thread were to get help with how to build a car if i were not to tell the intentions of the use of the car then i would not be able to get reliable information on how to do so. i have never once said that i have a car or that im actually street racing therefor i have done nothing against the forum rules..and just an fyi your talking to a law enforcement official.

#27 ·
aware me why this would happen.
Illegal activities discussed in every other post.

Let's face it, whether or not you want to admit it, your entire topic/debate you started here has to do with how you can best break the law with as low of a budget as possible.

You want to know how you can rocket to 140+mph on the highway against a muscle car enthusiast after honking 3 times with the lowest possible budget. Is that NOT your intention? I mean I'm no genius, except for the fact that I am, but even if I wasn't I could clearly see through your clever disguise :shades:
This.

"To be blunt, street racing is illegal, period. We do not promote, nor advocate it by posting about nor allowing information about it to remain posted."
http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=248017&postcount=3

"-I understand there may be some times where you street race, and you'll want to share your tales about it here, but don't. Discussion and/or videos of street racing, excessive speeding, reckless or negligent driving, etc, are not welcome here."
http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1797

Just sayin'.

#29 · (Edited)
my intentions in this thread were to get help with how to build a car if i were not to tell the intentions of the use of the car then i would not be able to get reliable information on how to do so. i have never once said that i have a car or that im actually street racing therefor i have done nothing against the forum rules..
Excuse me? Did you not write this:

ya i mean like i said out of the hole is not the problem its 45-50 rolls where their torque is gonna kill me the mods your talking about is exactly what i planned doing first bolt-ons fuel and turbo how will the stock clutch hold up to that?
... and just an fyi your talking to a law enforcement official.
And your point? Cops never do anything illegal? Cops don't street race? It's not illegal if a cop is there? Or cops don't go to jail for doing illegal things?

#66 ·
Excuse me? Did you not write this:

And your point? Cops never do anything illegal? Cops don't street race? It's not illegal if a cop is there? Or cops don't go to jail for doing illegal things?
figures this tool is a cop. I swear, I need to stop paying taxes. They speed and their buddies write it off. Love the system folks, love it.

#36 ·
well, lets put it this way. if you are under the belief, that real power cars, or real drivers, whatever you said i dont really feel like re-reading at this point, are at the drag strip, and your goal is to race from 45-50 and punch it, which you can only do on the highway last time i checked, buy another muscle car. the evo is great from a stand still launch, and is a rally car. but you have no intention it sounds like to use this car for the very thing it was engineered for. made for a track not so much roll racing. i don't really understand why you want an evo in the first place if that's the only thing your really going to do with it. spend an extra 10k over the new evo price and get yourself a ZL-1, comes with 550 hp. problem solved

#38 ·
I think, perhaps, a better way of conveying your point would have been something like this:

"Hi, I'm used to high displacement motors. I want a sporty AWD car with luxuries. Will the 2011 Evo best suit my needs? Are there any advantages of a 2011 over a 2008? What are the transmission options available?

If I were on a tight budget, what's the best way of improving trap speeds in a quarter mile?"

IMHO, you could have completely done without the street racing crap and talk trap speeds, because that's the biggest and best indicator of actual power put to the wheels. I've had 2.4-3.2 second 60ft times because of spinning the stock clutch yet manage 111mph trap every time.

This was before I found out that you either bog slightly and don't launch at all, or peg the 2-step rev limit and launch, there is no in between with the stock clutch, our tiny displacement and having the rotational mass of an AWD system.

Back to your unanswered question regarding the clutch... it'll hold just fine for ANYTHING you want to do besides launching. Road course, putting power down while already at speed, etc.

Oh and you should search for the clutch master cylinder topic here, that's one of our weakest drivetrain points evarrr... but don't launch and keep stock clutch and you'll be golden.

#40 ·
I think this guy has the wrong idea of what an EVO is for and it doesn't seem to match up with what he obviously wants to do with the car. He has pretty strong/stupid ideas of what "real racing & real power" are and will likely not be happy with an EVO. There are much better platforms for the kind of driving that this guy wants to do. What he needs to do is buy/build/keep his muscle car or get a supra for this type of stuff and get something else for a DD that he can drive in snow etc. and leave EVO's and this forum for people who really appreciate these cars and the things that are for.

If he's really stuck on building an X for this stuff then he should look into the longer final drive that is offered by a few places, combine that with cams & springs for higher revs, fuel, all the bolt ons and an FP black will get him over 500whp and plenty of top end power. But he'll also need a built bottom end for that kind of power, and an aftermarket clutch, tuning etc. Which seems like it's way more $$$ than he wants to spend.

#41 ·
#45 ·
A new term to me - I had to look it up.

1.blunt

Cigar hollowed out and filled with marijuana, can be smoked in public (somewhat) inconspicuously.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=blunt

No, sorry I don't smoke or drink [alcohol].

Note that *I* didn't say you were a bad guy "but a 10 sec run on the highway and im the bad guy". I did say it was illegal. That is, indeed, illegal, No? You're a cop - shouldn't you know?

In your copious free time I'd like to invite you out to a road course event. Where there's turns and braking points and drag races between corners, with braking during turn-ins and hard accelerating exiting corners and car control and chassis balance and strange stuff like that. And for 20 minutes at a time rather than the [rather weak] ten seconds of excitement you talk about.

Come on out to an event and bring your camaro. I'd like to suggest you do something with the brakes on it first. Note this is not a challenge - just an offer to view another form of automotive performance. And bring a helmet. :dancebanana:

#48 ·
sure i will happily oblige u with my presence then afterwards will you accompany me to my local go-go park we have 7hp models and the 12yr olds there are relentless..then after we car go to a drag strip and race there or how about the texas mile either one is fine with me we can make a day of it! :shades:

and yes it is illegal..it is also illegal to open an umbrella on a street, for fear of spooking horses. u ever opened an umbrella on the street brah??

#47 ·
I think now he's getting it! Makes a lot more sense that you want a daily driver car with some balls which an EVO X is great for. Personally I don't think you "need" a built motor and all that stuff for it to be a fun DD and you could save a ton of cash by lowering your power goals especially if you've got other more powerful cars.

BTW you contradict yourself several times, one post you say you only do things with your mature group of over 30 friends and now you say you want power "in case you run into someone"

It is very obvious throughout your posts that you're a street racer type. Not knocking you because I don't personally agree with the forum rules but as you can see you get a lot of flaming for that kind of talk on here.

#50 · (Edited)
I do not remember where I read the post but you can pick up a better tranny for a few extra $'s. It will increase your top end and stretch it out a bit between shifts. I am pretty new to the EVO coming from a GTI and I find that the gearing is really short or at least I am needing to shift really quick between gears.

Might be something to look into considering your goals as I have read them. Looking at the rolling starts as you are talking about are in a 3K RPM and up range and you might wanna bring that down a bit.

I was considering the same but for better gas milage as I am getting pretty bad MPG compaired to my 215hp VW 1.8T and was thinking bringing the RPM's down some could help.

I have yet to break free ANY tires yet for lack of trying though one of these days I am really gonna have to give it a go. The VW I can do any day at virtually anytime thru 3rd with the FWD even on soft summer tires.

Just a suggestion,

Michael

#51 ·
I do not remember where I read the post but you can pick up a better tranny for a few extra $'s. It will increase your top end and stretch it out a bit between shifts. I am pretty new to the EVO coming from a GTI and I find that the gearing is really short or at least I am needing to shift really quick between gears.

Might be something to look into considering your goals as I have read them. Looking at the rolling starts as you are talking about are in a 3K RPM and up range and you might wanna bring that down a bit.

I was considering the same but for better gas milage as I am getting pretty bad MPG compaired to my 215hp VW 1.8T and was thinking bringing the RPM's down some could help.

Just a suggestion,

Michael
no your right i was thinking the same thing the first time i test drove the x i was like damn im going 67mph and alil over 3k. Thats why i wanted a 6sp at first but i cant do the whole automatic paddle thing lol

#53 · (Edited)
sure i will happily oblige u with my presence then afterwards will you accompany me to my local go-go park we have 7hp models and the 12yr olds there are relentless..then after we car go to a drag strip and race there or how about the texas mile either one is fine with me we can make a day of it! :shades:
Sure enough. Most of the go-kart tracks around here are indoor and use electric motors. LOTS of bottom-end torque and they're pretty quiet too. There is an outdoor paved kart track at the fairgrounds nearby and they rent it out for full-scale car events also. VERY hard on brakes since there's not much cooling time between corners.

We also have a clay oval for karters. I've never driven there though.

You in Texas? My brother is competing in the next Silver State Classic with his NSX. His first open road event. I'm managing the instrumentation side - gotta know here you are on that road.

I'm in Tucson which is a fur piece from Texas but our nest road course event in end of Jan in Deming, New Mexico, about half way from the closer part of TX.

#55 ·
no sir im in NC. i use to have an NSX for about a year didnt like that it was more of a race car than a street car. but i might go down to texas for tk212 hoping i can get all the bugs worked out of the ta by then should be pushing close to 1100 in this one.. and fyi i run full brembo on all of my cars hence another reason for getting a evo :rock: in all seriousness i actually think the camaro would do decent at one of your tracks yhe trans am not so much.

#60 ·
It's because he hasn't figured out we don't want him as part of the community. I know I definitely could do without someone street racing their evo on the highway next to his friends in muscle cars, because that's a perfect image that needs to be perpetuated.

I actually had to glance back at my last post to see how the hell he understood me saying "his evo being faster than my 'race car'".

I mentioned a car I had 10 years ago when I acted like I was 10 years younger. Maybe he also didn't realize, that he's the one posting on here that doesn't own an evo yet. :tumbleweed:

With the numerous 700+hp F-bodies, and numerous trucks he has me thinking :liar: and definite troll. I'm just wondering when he first mentioned he was planning on street racing this didn't get locked....but it is a holiday sort of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.